We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

molding material

Tagged: ,

PAULA BEDIN paulabedin

molding material

11/04/2016 at 23:36

Hello everybody!

I was watching the videos about plastic research and I had some doubts regarding the mold.
In the video Dave shows us molds made in metal but I would like to know if it is possible to have a mold in some other material, one that would handle the pressure from the compression system, but that wouldn’t be as exepensive as a metal CNC cutted mold.
I know it wouldn’t be as resistent as the metal ones, but I thought that i coul maybe use a plaster mold.

Do you have any experience regarding this? Any suggestions?

Thank you all and congrats on the beautiful work!

12 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: molding material

helper
13/04/2016 at 14:35

Hi Paula, some people use wood as mold material. The problem is you need to cool the plastic as fast as possible. If it doesn’t occur the material starts to crystallize. this process becomes evident when the material becomes opaque

starter
14/04/2016 at 14:42

Thank you, Marcelo!

helper
30/04/2016 at 22:48

Does anyone have a video or pictures of wooden molds and endresults?

new
03/05/2016 at 14:58

Crystallization is a function of the material being processed and not all plastics will crystallize. As said above, the easiest way to detect this is haze development.

PET will crystallize, styrenics won’t.

helper
03/05/2016 at 19:00

@jjcortes What would work best with wood, PET or Styrenics?

What woodtypes would be best to use?

What about MDF?

new
03/05/2016 at 19:46

I understand Asia supplies most of the wood composites with bamboo powder. Mexico, where I’m from, is using pine residue.

Regarding PET or styrenics, it all depends on what properties you want on the end composite. PET would certainly be the easiest (in terms of bottle reclamation) but would probably, owing to its crystallization behavior and MASSIVE haze development if it’s not cooled fast enough, go against the appearance you’re looking after.
Styrenics on the other hand (GPPS, SAN), can provide better visual properties for indoor applications while retaining some transparency (keep in mind, the PCR should come from a transparent source… If pigmented, you’re screwed). ABS would provide great impact resistance but again, looks may not be the BEST if you want the wood to express itself.

MDF… I don’t think that’s a problem. You will pulverize it and most of the mechanical resistance comes from the plastic, not the wood.
And wood types, I think you’re only limitation is sourcing and what looks you want.

helper
07/06/2016 at 18:17

Hi everyone! It’s a very interesting topic really close to other one I’m promoting for its discussion, as moulds are the “pain point” to produce anything with plastics and Dave’s machinery, I would like to talk about the chance of to involve mould designers and put them in-touch with mould makers worldwide. If you like to share your thoughts about is, please, join Mould Design Community, what if…???

helper
07/06/2016 at 18:26

@paulabedin você ter uma grande oportunidade no Brasil para o desenvolvimento d’este projeto. Se quiser reciclar as latinhas para a fabricaçao de moldes é so falar com os catadores, tem muito para facer n’essa area e, alias, o projeto pode levar para frente uma outra atividade para os catadores, pegando o plastico das ruas.

Veja a sugestao do @paulenglish How To Make The Mini Metal Foundry

Força!

helper
07/06/2016 at 18:42

About metal casting, I would like to suggest this channel on youtube Metal Casting at Home Part 1 Backyard Foundry
<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/IYZOTt9zTv0&#8243; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

helper
08/06/2016 at 17:16

Another nice source and wisdom about aluminium casting, in this case talking about aditives for a better home-made process (in spanish) tutorial de fundicion de aluminio 1

starter
02/08/2016 at 11:22

hey guys,
looking at dave’s videos I mainly thought about trying to create artistic or one of a kind object that would otherwise be hard to find elsewhere. Therefore I started thinking about easy ways to form one time use moulds, the one thing I came up with was forming the intended objects out of wax (or an easily mouldable material that preferably melts at low temperatures) and create a mould around it out of CHALK as it is a cheap heat resistant material thats easy to cast and can create very smooth surfaces. the main problem I can think of with this idea is the fact that chalk might not be able to withstand the pressure of the injected plastic. Do you guys know any good way of possibly reinforcing the structure, like putting gauzes like in medical casts or containing the mould with some sort of aluminium case?

helper
19/10/2016 at 10:18

Hello i made the test, just putting plaster models in a oven. I used polypropylene plastic, that worked but I loose some details, also you need to clean the piece you get. Maybe if you put something on your model like lacquer you could get cleaner result !

Attachments:
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪