We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Motor for extruder

Tagged: , ,

Anonymous

Motor for extruder

06/02/2018 at 16:07

The blueprints say you need a 70 RPM motor. But it doesn’t say how much KW. Probably not as strong as needed for the shredder. Doest anyone have tips?

8 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on date

In reply to: Motor for extruder

warrior
07/02/2018 at 15:24

The black one is A DC motor and will require a suitable power supply.

The silver one is a 3-phase motor and will require either 3-phase power or an inverter driver.

Neither are very powerful, you need about 10x the power for a shredder, they might do for the extruder.

The blue gearbox on the silver motor looks fairly chunky, if it’s the right ratio and you can find a motor to match it, it might be suitable for the shredder.

helper
07/02/2018 at 14:45

and this one too.

What do you think community?

Thanks!

Attachments:

helper
07/02/2018 at 14:43

I have a similar question so i’ll post into here. I’ve found a few motors and wondered if any of these would be suitable for the job ?

Attachments:

helper
07/02/2018 at 15:29

sorry i should of said, they would be for an extruder with the compression screw.

We plan to make the beams with it!

hero
07/02/2018 at 20:29

@stilllife if you are planning to use the extruder to make beams, I would suggest using a motor with at least 1kw of power. Normally, 0.3kw would be more than enough for the extruder, but making beams creates a lot of pressure in the barrel and you will need a motor that can handle it. For a motor with less power I would try using a beam nozzle/mould that is just 2 or 3 inches long instead of using a full length mould like in Dave’s video, that way you can relieve some pressure but you will need active cooling on the beam.

hero
07/02/2018 at 19:48

Welcome to Precious Plastic @fade-roymarkinez, hello @stilllife
Regardless of the type of motor (monophase or triphase) make sure it has at least 1.5kw of power. The RPMs does not necessarily need to be 70rpm, just make sure they are under 100rpm, anything higher will behave more like a blender and less like a shredder.

warrior
07/02/2018 at 16:44

Then if you can get an inverter drive the silver one might work, you will be able to vary the speed and even get a little more power out of it by going over 50Hz. You might still be better off with a bigger motor though, 120W is not a lot.

helper
10/02/2018 at 15:52

Would this be suitable for beam extrusion? or does is definitely need to be above 1kw? only asking as the price jumps considerably for anything above 1kw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331032909437

Thanks!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪