We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Motor for my extruder

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Anonymous.
Ariane Va ariane

Motor for my extruder

29/01/2019 at 18:55

Hello,
I am building an extruder and I have difficulties choosing the motor.
I already bought a motor – 3 phase, 1.1 kW – with a VSD, but I am afraid the VSD will make it lose all the torque without a gearbox. My question is : what is the torque necessary for the extruder (in Nm) ?

Thank you!

4 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Motor for my extruder

29/01/2019 at 21:00

recent videos unveiled that 3KW is needed to make beams, and yes, it definitely wants 3 phase and a VFD in such case.

new
29/01/2019 at 23:15

Thank you but I don’t want to create beams but a filament with a diameter between 1 and 5 mm

29/01/2019 at 23:32

there is little to no evidence here that you could create decent filament from recycled plastic to start with. you could however create filament but it will be pretty thick, think of making furniture or just less detailed things.

on you tube i saw a few guys (ie: ‘werbewunder’) with a much smaller setup doing their filament but they do use stock ABS pellets which comes with the right properties you need for filament.

anyways, I’d be more than happy to finally see someone to make filamant with the PP machines.

In your case, with 750 Watt, a 1:20 reducer, 3 phase, a VFD and an industrial screw you should be more than fine. this drive segment will cost you with average quality from ebay around this :

1. motor & reducer, 280 Euro
2. VFD, 70 Euro
3. couplings, around 60 – 100 euro
4. industrial screw, around 300 euro, a wood drill we give you too much inconsistency and air bubbles, …

I am not adding the required heatbads, eletronics, steppers, cooling and pull systems you will need. please check youtube, there are good setups which seem to work.

29/01/2019 at 23:33

ah, you need the gearbox, of course, you need around 30-80 RPM, depends on your screw…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪