We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

My shredder construction log

This topic contains 41 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Morrison 4 weeks ago.

Simon Morrison simonm

My shredder construction log

30/05/2016 at 03:09

Hi,

Just thought I would make a thread of my shredder construction.

After a weekend of fiddling, I managed to get the machine to an assembled state (please ignore the welding quality, I have just started to teach myself how to weld).

I will be spending this week/weekend tuning it so that it rotates smoothly.

Simon

Attachments:
41 replies
5 subscribers
2 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes
new
09/08/2018 at 00:19

Hi everyone, this question might sound stupid but i couldn’t find the answer- can you somehow upcykle the old bike like this? I saw your post and rooting for your project! and I remembered that my Grandma has this old bike <picture from the internet but the type seems like her bike> that’s been used as a bag hanger for years and i thought maybe it’s possible to make something useful from it? I saw videos of shredding plastic using a hand power, so using legs seems to be more efficient. Sorry if i bother you guys, but would be grateful for the answer 🙂 have a nice day!

Attachments:
helper
13/09/2019 at 06:48

Ok, here is my next update on my shredder construction log.

I eventually gave up on the pedal-powered design.  I am not saying that it is not possible to have a pedal-powered shredder, but for someone like me who has no mechanical experience I found it beyond my skill and ability.

So I have moved on the an electric motor driving my shredder.  I have done a bit of a video here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6kiNuszV8

My next step is to use a heat press to make plastic sheets and a CNC Router to mill the sheets into jewelry.  I will provide additional posts around that process as it goes.

Thanks

Simon

new
13/09/2019 at 10:36

@laluna, I don’t think so. There were quite some attempts to make a bike shredder and none of them looked convincing. Mechanical wise, it’s quite a challange to create enough torque. The most promising candidate is the one below. We’re still waiting to get details on this build.

helper
14/09/2019 at 03:15

Well, that didn’t take long  🙁

The component joining the worm drive to the shredder clearly wasn’t up to the job.  I was just shredding milk bottles and the HDPE folded over to about 5 layers thick and the component shattered.

Has anyone done any calculations around how strong I should ask them to make it for?

Thanks

Attachments:
helper
14/09/2019 at 03:58

Hello everyone, if you connect your peddles to a bike wheel,and use the area that the tire connected to as a pully to you shredder..One full spin of the wheel will turn the crank very fast.The blades may be singing…

helper
14/09/2019 at 04:03

Wanna come visit Panama and gift me your bike? I am in love with the idea of a powerless shredder.

helper
14/09/2019 at 04:06

I think you can..but not yet built one.
Stay tuned..

starter
15/09/2019 at 14:06

Hi simon,
Yesterday i have the same problem, the mechanic connector between the motor and the Shredder brokes up while we where shredding hbpe plastic from cups.
How you solve it? Must i buy a bigger/stronger one?
Thanks for reading and for this intersting toppic!
Facundo from Argentina!

Attachments:
helper
16/09/2019 at 01:10

Hi Facundo,

My initial plan after my coupler shattered was to get a much stronger one machined up.  But having thought about it for a few days I now don’t know if that is the best solution.  If I make the coupler too strong, and there is another jam, something else much more expensive to replace could break.

So I will be talking to a mechanical engineer about getting a new coupler built that has a shear pin.  Then if there is a large load put on the machine again the shear pin snaps rather than the coupler.

I will add photos to this thread once I have a new coupler built.

Thanks

Simon

new
16/09/2019 at 01:24

@simonm, we do the couplings most of time our self (needs CNC, lathe and a bigger shaft) and to avoid over – torque, there are various options too : VFDs have that often built-in (needs to be activated and tuned) and there a number of standard electrical components (shneider) which trigger at certain amperage.

helper
16/09/2019 at 02:11

Hi ppboys,

it isn’t apparent in the video, but my motor is connected to a Start/Stop station that has a contactor and overload inside.  The whole thing was wired up and tuned by an electrical engineer so I am confident that he did it properly.

Tks

Simon

Viewing 11 replies - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪