Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

My Shredder

This topic contains 36 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Sulman 2 weeks ago.

Olivier xxxolivierxxx

My Shredder

27/02/2017 at 01:18

It’s been a while since I started my Shredder project but didn’t have the time to actually finish it, but I can now say that my shredder is 99% complete (I say 99% because I have not attached the power cable yet, but I already have it)

Here are a few tips:

*Don’t use a motor that is less than 2hp. I purchased a 1/2HP motor and it does shred plastic, but the threaded part of the bottles makes the motor halt. A 2HP or more motor should not have this problem, and if possible, get a triphase one.
*I did not want to buy a perforated sheet of metal because I only needed a small square piece and the hardware store would not sell the amount I needed, so I grabbed a perforated metal sheet I found in an old speaker and it worked just fine (see pictures below)
*On my Shredder’s frame I soldered 4 small pieces of square tube that I can use to put a piece of wood, that will serve as a base for a trash can that will collect all the shredder plastic
*Get a DPDT rocker switch, that will allow you to reverse your shredder motor if the shredder gets jammed

Here are a few pictures:

warrior
27/02/2017 at 01:34

Attachments:
Toggle replies
warrior
27/02/2017 at 02:56

Attachments:
Toggle replies
warrior
27/02/2017 at 03:04

Attachments:
Toggle replies
warrior
27/02/2017 at 03:06

Attachments:
Toggle replies
warrior
27/02/2017 at 03:12

Attachments:
Toggle replies
warrior
27/02/2017 at 03:16

Attachments:
Toggle replies
warrior
27/02/2017 at 03:17

Attachments:
Toggle replies
warrior
27/02/2017 at 03:18

Attachments:
Toggle replies
helper
28/02/2017 at 01:16

nice work.. looks good,! hows the lovejoy coupling working for you? ive brought a dunlop version, but yet to test how much miss alighnment i can have,

Toggle replies
warrior
28/02/2017 at 09:07

@xxxolivierxxx nice👌👌👌👌

Toggle replies
warrior
28/02/2017 at 09:37

@kettlekekkers
Lovejoy couplings work perfectly and they allow a little misalignment thanks to the rubber spider that goes in between. I looked at those dunlop couplings as well and they are pretty much the same as the lovejoy ones.

@sharma-sagar
Thanks

Toggle replies
helper
28/02/2017 at 10:06

Awesome work @xxxolivierxxx!! Looks great 😀

Toggle replies
helper
06/03/2017 at 01:07

thank you for the info @xxxolivierxxx!
very usefull for me that i’m starting my shredder too.
in your research, does the 1hp motor worked good? because as the specifications it has to be like an 2,5hp. i was looking for one of those, but they are pretty expensive. i was wondering if a smaller engine would work too.

Toggle replies
warrior
07/03/2017 at 04:34

@tinch
You’re welcome
Yes, a 1hp motor is more than enough if you are shredding bottles, if you plan to shred anything harder than a bottle, then you will need a bigger motor

Toggle replies
starter
17/03/2017 at 03:16

Hi. You mentioned that a 1hp engine is enough for the bottles. But in the photo appears a 1 / 2hp. Would you have any video of this equipment working? I have a 1 / 2hp motor and would like to see it running before setting up the machine. Thank you.

Toggle replies
starter
21/03/2017 at 11:10

Nice looking machine. Could you film it in action? I wonder as well what a motor of about 300Watt can do.

Toggle replies
starter
28/03/2017 at 12:53

Hi Oliver,

nice work.
work the shredder with 1450rpm?
220volts?

thank you.timo

Toggle replies
warrior
12/07/2017 at 07:27

hey @xxxolivierxxx,

You’ve done a great job building this. Ever thought of a glass window in the hopper to see what is happening inside?

I’ve come to that part of shredder building where it does the job, but can do better by adding the net under the blades.
Does your setup use the holes for the net, or you attach it in another way?
And how easily could it be taken off?

Toggle replies
warrior
12/07/2017 at 21:39

@joseeduardofernandes Correct, mine is 1/2HP and it has troubles shredding bottles, that’s why I suggest 1HP or more

@z11aalex if you share more details we might help you decide if that’s a good motor, details such as torque, RPMs, horse power, monophase or triphase, might help to give you a better response

@sculptureclash Thank you. Mine is a 110v monophase motor, it works at around 1430rpm in 110v mode but the reducer slows it down to around 60RPM. The voltage of the motor does not really matter, what matters is the amount of HP/Torque and RPMS.

@jegor-m Thank you. I don’t think I need a glass window, I usually guide myself by hearing the motor shred and based on the sound (which is loud AF) I can tell if all the plastic was shredded or if the motor got stuck. Yes, I added a grill under the shredder. In the original design from Dave, you can attach and detach the grill, but on my shredder, I just soldered it to the shredder frame.

I’ll upload a video shortly

Toggle replies
warrior
12/07/2017 at 22:16

Here you go:

@davehakkens

Toggle replies
warrior
12/07/2017 at 22:43

Ahhhh that is a bummer @xxxolivierxxx! Thanks for sharing the video though, super useful for us to get feedback! Also shredder looks very well made 💪

Toggle replies
warrior
12/07/2017 at 22:46

@davehakkens yeah, if I knew the 1/2HP motor would be that weak, I’d rather save a little more money for a more powerfull motor 🙁

Toggle replies
starter
13/07/2017 at 07:36

@xxxolivierxxx

Thanx for sharing! Indeed not enough torque from the 300W motor.

P.S. Electrical housing box looks like an old PC case isn’t it? another great idea for the community 😉

Toggle replies
warrior
13/07/2017 at 08:00

@z11aalex
Correct, is the case of an old Power Supply, I just removed the electronics and it has plenty of room inside for the wiring of the reverse switch

Toggle replies
new
18/07/2017 at 19:27

Nice Job on the shredder. Your video on the 1/2 hp drive will help me in our project.

Toggle replies
starter
31/07/2017 at 13:35

your build looks great! thanks for so much imagery and guidance.

quick question, do you reckon we could get away with using smaller wall thicknesses for the frame? the BOM says 30x30x3mm, but do you reckon 30x30x1.6mm would be sufficient?

cheers!

Toggle replies
new
01/08/2017 at 13:47

Hello everyone
I live in Ivory Coast and I am interested in the construction of machines. I would like to have the parts for the shredder crusher and the electrical equipment of the other machines.
If you have ideas or proposals (cost, transport …) to give me please contact me at the following address: koman.franck@yahoo.fr
Thank you in advance for your help.

Toggle replies
helper
14/09/2017 at 15:03

Hi Oliver i think your shredder is swell and thank you so much for sharing the information with all of us . There’s a lot to learn and i’ve been going in the forum to find the proper info on a suitable motor , motor reducer and VFD before i proceed .

Motor spec: (we have confirmed to go with this)
Link: (http://my.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-motors/1234217/)
> 3HP/2.2kW
> 3Phase
> 230V
> 50hz
> 2 pole
> need to be delta connection (for VFD)

Motor reducer spec:(unsure whether what other info i need for this)
> compatible to the above motor ?
> to run on 70 rpm
> able to change direction ?
> Nm ?

VFD spec:(3Phase to 1Phase connection)
Link: (https://www.lelong.com.my/220v-380v-1-5kw-2-2kw-variable-speed-frequency-drive-vfd-inverter-uniqfactory-I5714309-2007-01-Sale-I.htm)
> 230V , 2.2kW

Coupling ?
Is this necessary i am unsure of this too . VFD is required to change from an industrial socket to a home plug wall socket compatible.

Would love to hear your reply and knowledge @xxxolivierxxx @davehakkens
@lyricalpolymath

Thank you again I totally appreciate it !

Regards ,
Pereka

Toggle replies
warrior
18/09/2017 at 04:05

Hello @pereka

The motor you posted looks pretty good, but I encourage you to get a pre-assembled combo of Motor + Reductor to ensure that the reducer you get fits your motor, or at least try to buy both parts from the same seller/place to test that they fit together.

The reducer you need depends on the motor RPMs, the resulting RPMs of the reducer should be around 60 or 70, anything faster might actually melt the plastic due to friction, instead of shredding it.

Most reducers rotate in both directions, in case you find one that doesn’t, I’ll recommend to look for a reducer that does, since having backward/forward rotation is a must-have feature in case you ever need to unclog/unstuck your shredder.

Yes, a coupling is necessary. What type of coupler? Anyone that fits your reducer’s and shredder’s shaft: Universal, Oldham, Jaw, etc…

Toggle replies
starter
23/09/2017 at 02:08

Que mae!? ^
Viejo, en Infesa (Cartago, Curridabat, entre otros) tienen motores de segunda con un mes de garantía, y ahorita están en liquidación.

Pegue una ojeada en el site:

http://www.infesa.com/index_.php

Yo ahorita estoy comenzando el proyecto junto a un compa, por ahora tenermos listo las partes cortadas y estamos buscando ya las demas partes.

Donde fue que conseguiste el reductor? No he averiguado si ahí mismo en Infesa tendrán.

Mae por cierto, que tuanis le quedó la maquinilla!

Pura vida loco!

Toggle replies
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.