We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

New workspace in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Henning henning40waste

New workspace in Colombo, Sri Lanka

07/12/2018 at 00:50

Hey guys,

@sankarselva
and me want to build a workspace in Colombo in February/March 2019. I got in contact with Selva some months ago and currently we are planning the first steps. However, I will organize a crowdfunding campaign from Germany and he will prepare to build the machines. But we are not sure how much it costs to build three or four machines and how long it takes to build them, if we have most of the materials. I am staying there for one month, but probably just have much time for around 2 weeks. Hopefully someone can help us out.
If somebody wants to join us you are heartly welcome!
Thanks in advance, Henning

5 replies
3 subscribers
1 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes
helper
07/12/2018 at 15:11

Hi,
We warmly welcome People who want to join with us and help us. Also we need some land to build recycling center.

helper
15/12/2018 at 07:38

Hi Guys, @sankarselva @henning40waste
From our experience it is not possible the get the stainless steel laser cut parts for the shredder here in Sri Lanka. We tried lots of places but no luck.

@henning40waste
two weeks is really really tight and you need to have everything ready to go as things usually take a while. But we also operate in a remote area so that takes extra time.
Let us know if you need any more help along the way and check out @leebaz and Colombodesignstudio.com for mould designs.
Cheers,
Henry

helper
15/12/2018 at 10:19

Hi Henry,
Thanks for your reply and we have not a proper idea about built a new workspace. Main problem is find the land for recycle center. Do you have any suggestion about that (any procedures to get a public land from government)? But, I have small experience with machine building.I also search for get the stainless steel laser cut parts for the shredder and didn’t find yet.

helper
20/12/2018 at 05:02

Hi Sankar,
A government lease for a recycling center sounds like a 2 year operation including Environmental Protection Licences etc etc.
You can search online for 2nd hand industrial shredders which will probably cost you as much as a Precious Plastic build.
You can squeeze quite bit of equipment into a shipping container as we did here – wastelessabay.com
Definitely rent private land if you think necessary but i recommend small steps first before renting plots of land etc.
You always need to consider where is the plastic coming from, is it clean, how would you clean it etc.
Best regards,
Henry

new
09/01/2019 at 12:04

Hi both

we were thinking of setting up a small scale workspace (2-3 machines) in the south of Sri Lanka after Easter and settle down there. there seems to be quite some waste on the beaches and some small waste collection initiatives.
would be keen to share experiences and ideas with you on how it is going.
we are considering importing the machines.

Yannick

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪