Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

No Shampoo

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile gravatar of Fabrice Grenier Fabrice Grenier 2 weeks ago.

Profile gravatar of Dave HakkensDave Hakkens
davehakkens

No Shampoo

12/10/2015 at 13:54

Heard that shampoo is ‘addictive’. Decided to try and kick the habit!

Profile gravatar of MissAnaleigh
12/10/2015 at 15:52

So what was the recipe for the shampoo you made at home? I have a few, but none are 100 % reliable …

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Dave Hakkens
12/10/2015 at 22:50

Tried multiple things and mixtures inc vinegar, honey, sand, lemonjuice. Currently sticking with simply baking soda. Works for me, but heard its not so good for people with long hair though.

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of G.r.a. Gilsing
14/10/2015 at 12:11

Hi, my hair is long. I haven’t used shampoo for over a year. Once every 3-4 weeks I make a cleansing mask for my hair. Recipe: half a avocado (or banana), 1 egg, a bit of honey and a teaspoon of olive oil. My hair feels realy clean and soft after this!
Other times When I shower I use a showercap or sometimes I just wash my hair with water.
But I have to warn you: first couple of weeks are hard (and greasy) so you may consider starting this on your holiday. And also, my hair is a brown and bit curly, I don’t know if it works for everyone.

Toggle replies
14/10/2015 at 13:44

So during the first few weeks you don’t wash your hair at all, or just with water? I’m guessing baking soda would only be for super dirty situations, since it works same as shampoo and would kind of defeat the purpose.

Another question before I commit to this – does not washing your hair make it lose the shininess? Anyone has any experience with this?

Toggle replies
15/10/2015 at 14:22

Interesting mixture @sneeuws, never tried that before. Like it? But yeh @missanaleigh, baking soda only for the special occasions. Shininess no experience, or well haven’t really measured. Seems unchanged from when I started.

Toggle replies
15/10/2015 at 14:54

Thanks for the info guys. I went no shampoo today, I’ll report back in a couple of weeks if it worked or not ^^

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of TomasHalberstad
11/11/2015 at 11:49

I’ve been trying the method of ‘cutting down’. Went from washing my hair every second day, to every third day, then fourth, in about two to three week increments. Seems to work if you want to avoid the greasy period.

Toggle replies
11/11/2015 at 12:33

Yeah, I heard that works really well. I just went all in and for the first couple of weeks it was pretty bad, but now I’m in my fifth and it seems to be getting back to normal. Yay no shampoo 🙂

Toggle replies
12/11/2015 at 13:51

Awesome to hear you’re keeping it up @missanaleigh! Great job

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Niels Philbert
23/05/2016 at 13:48

This is so great!

@davehakkens do you use any kind of wax/styling product for your awesome looking hair? 🙂

And are you still using bodywash of somekind or have you gone fully soap free?

Toggle replies
26/05/2016 at 14:35

Well thanks for calling it ‘awesome looking hair’ @nielsphilbert Mostly no wax in there though, occasionally some coconut oil.

Noo not bodywash free.. Thats still 2 levels to far for me. Maybe someday 😉

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of RedGurrillia
26/05/2016 at 15:08

I only wash my hair with shampoo once a week or sometimes even less… never had greasy feeling hair 🙂

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Chris Zaic
02/07/2016 at 12:28

Great video! I stopped using shampoo about 2 years ago as well. I remember my Croatian boss saying that he never used to use shampoo as a kid in the old country, and now he has to use it everyday or his hair is too greasy.
It took some time for my hair to adjust, but now it is fine.I wash it daily with cold water.
I noticed that sometimes I get some dandruff, but if I work up a good sweat exercising, that seems to resolve itself.

Looking forward to seeing you other stories!
-Chris

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Margarita
02/08/2016 at 14:05

Hi! I stopped using shampoo for a week now, I’m washing my hair (it’s shoulder-length) with baking soda+water. I feel it ok, no greasy but a bit rough.. I’ll try the cleansing mask mentioned by @sneeuws.
Any other advice / tip?

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Tina Steinhauser
05/05/2017 at 19:44

I stopped using shampoo 19 days ago thanks to Dave’s video! For the first 12 days I didn’t use anything and let my hair get really greasy (luckily I wear a hat as part of my work uniform 🙂 ). Then on the 12th day I washed with baking soda. I have long-ish hair. I noticed the baking soda made my hair a little dry. However it has been one week since then and my hair is not nearly as greasy as it was after the first stretch without washing!

To combat the low pH of the baking soda which can apparently damage it and make it dry, I have read that an apple cider vinegar rinse is really great as a conditioner. I used this recipe:

1 part raw, organic ACV
8 parts water

I made 900mL in total and put it in a spray bottle, and added about 25 drops of citrus essential oils just to make it smell nicer. But this is optional, and apparently after it dries you don’t smell like vinegar at all!
I am trying the baking soda / ACV combo tonight. I hope to do this not too often, once my hair gets used to going without it. Maybe every 2-3 weeks?
I will let you know my results!

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Fabrice Grenier
08/05/2017 at 01:32

thanks! good idea

Toggle replies
Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.