We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Official statement about extrusion to filament

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Yoel 2 weeks ago.

Anonymous

Official statement about extrusion to filament

03/05/2019 at 13:34

Hey there,
we would like to know the official statement about whether the extruder can extrude filament. To me it’s no but only because I don’t know a printer which can print certain recycled plastic. I know of pellet printers but that’s about it.

I am asking because we receive emails from clients and til now we still can’t answer them correctly.

Obviously the whole topic needs a lot of research and development and I am sure someone will figure this out (or not) one day. I am also aware that a ‘filament mile’ is around 2-5 meters long ..

So please if anyone could bring light into this story, we’d be very happy to have finally an answer for the users.

53 replies
6 subscribers
2 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
new
17/05/2019 at 13:11

ok, i see, back to square one …
how about we open finally another topic ‘Making filament with v3 ‘ ? I don’t see much progress other than stripping down the v3 extruder, make the entire re-work (professional heatbands, PIDS, cooling systems, mount) and work out all manuals and step by step instructions, something I can finally give to our clients without worrying they get screwed with 2-3 K invest 🙂

What’s even more challenging is to workout screw specs per plastic type though, those will go hand in hand with motor specs ,… After all best possible is done under this conditions, we can work out the waterbaths, pull system, PLCs, etc..

After the main sections are worked out, our 3dprint guru can start working out printer specs…

g

new
17/05/2019 at 13:17

now we’re looking at 2-3 months of work for 2 teams and a couple thousand euros of invest (materials, manuals,…). I wasn’t aware about when i saw those fancy pictures on preciousplastic.com, I though it just ‘works’ just as the pictures suggested, lol

new
17/05/2019 at 15:38

@btmetz, I started the research here. If you want to join, signup on that page, we send you then all the other infos like the corresponding slack channel 🙂

new
17/05/2019 at 16:04

short update looking at the sections and components :

extrusion : 2000 – 3000 euro
hopper: 400 Euro
dryer : 300 Euro
main control – interface : 1000 Euro

unknown : feed, water baths, pull system (forming), spool winder, but i guess it’s adding another 1000 Euro easily

looks like this can be done for around 4000-5000 euro, that’s good news since it’s still 3000 less compared to the cheapest commercial machine i’ve found so far.

warrior
18/05/2019 at 03:03

Then go for it.  If you are going to monetize and sell it, then maybe you should do the documentation and experimentation.

Frankly I have zero interest in making filament as the market locally is too small.

I also have the automated injection molder to work on and the polyester fiber project.

I just pointed you to the work of others who have already released stuff.

new
18/05/2019 at 08:11

yeah, thanks. apparently we need something solid, big, working with recycled plastic, etc… barcelona and the rest of pp is full of companies, labs, etc… asking us ‘…does it?’

new
18/05/2019 at 08:29

there is btw. one provider on alibaba who has lots of the parts needed, even twin screws for quite cheap.

warrior
18/05/2019 at 09:18

Shipping fee $10.000+

Cheaper to go get them yourself by taxi 🙂

new
18/05/2019 at 10:53

? we ordered to 2 medium screw sets for 300e each, shipping for both was 140 Euro, plus 120 Euro customs tax.

warrior
18/05/2019 at 11:08

@pporg – 140+120 euros sounds a bit more realistic indeed.

Listed shipping costs sometimes borderline the absurd and you can’t get a realistic quote without contacting the suplier.

Good to share prices together with the links!

new
18/05/2019 at 13:12

you have to call them up, explain the situation, send them the money and let it pickup by your own logistic network 🙂

warrior
18/05/2019 at 13:20

Sounds like it might be worth the trouble to try to find a ‘local’ in the PP-network for some import/export coördination…

new
18/05/2019 at 13:30

what you mean by PP network ? wasnt aware there is something like this at all, lol 🙂
But I do wonder about extending our lib (.org) for a real person/business/service directory; thats a classy thing to do with this sort of project(s); again it’s all done in ‘Liferay’, even a single user can build and share such customized directories back to the crowd.

warrior
18/05/2019 at 14:18

I don’t know Liferay (yet), but the Community Edition certainly seems worthy of investing some time to get to know better. Might even be interesting for my commercial clients…

I have a private server I could use to test, if none is running already…

new
18/05/2019 at 23:16

Liferay regarding PP needs at least 2 good seniors devs in the short, 1 in the medium, and a half in the long, back end/integration/ci,…; and the rest can be via done via js apps, ah and a system guys (deployment, cluster/nodes). the gain for PP would be tremendous but i don’t see how this is going along well without good financial backup, yet.

if you like i can setup a new node; it’s interesting though because this could get the foundation for a virtual project kamp done as well. will elaborate this on slack next week, seeya in a bit

helper
26/05/2019 at 07:05

https://studio.youtube.com/video/-4ELb3uyVSI/edit

This is the current one that i am working on. I need to add production grade screw however i lost access to my 4th axis add on to make a custom screw for it so i am going to use modified wood auger for now. Currently i have the winder and spooler working. I am now working on getting my working dimensional control to drive the spooler wrapping speed using PID loop then i am done. This is a test stand the final version will be 12″ x 12″ x 5.5″ box super tiny.

helper
26/05/2019 at 07:07

I am also still working on opening up my first version of the extruder (Multistruder) as open source the idea is that it is supposed to be a injection machine and a high quality filament extruder all in one machine. I am adding the feedback loop for diameter control and the option to work as an injection moulder currently. But that one you should be able to build in most oversea’s country pretty easily and cheaply.

warrior
26/05/2019 at 07:31

@thegreenengineers

Your youtube link is not working (it links to the editor).

I’ve seen your videos in other topics.

new
26/05/2019 at 13:06

just to make it a little more clear; doing a PLA/ABS filament extruder is one thing; not that difficult; the other thing is to print recycled plastic. As far i recon, the only story I heard regarding filament via PP was making LDPE  filament (see bazar), but the only problem is that you can’t really print well nor good things with that stuff.
vanplastik is the only successor i know off when it comes to PP; they print furniture, but using only ~10% recylced plastic, for obvious reasons.

dedicated
26/05/2019 at 19:58

Thanks for the link to vanplestik. In their product descriptions it says 100% recycled. I think the boutique furniture and decor is a place where a workspace can do well.

helper
29/05/2019 at 08:07

This is the correct link.
As long as you get it small enough it is not that much different. I will probubly have a different hopper as shavings dont really roll as well into barrel compared to the virgin resins. as the current hopper design is for pellets.

new
29/05/2019 at 09:48

hey, i am no longer watch this topic, it’s has been answered so far. about making DIY filament, let’s open a more dedicated topic just. I captured so far the findings in the library / resource section so far.

starter
30/05/2019 at 18:59

Does anyone know have experience with DIY filament extruders?  Familiar with pricing?  Quality?  etc.

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 23 replies - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.