We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Open OS or Android

This topic contains 31 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  kefche2003 5 years ago.

nammyxo nammyxo

Open OS or Android

27/02/2014 at 21:35

Has the team decided which one will it be or are they still in debate?Please update us

31 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: Open OS or Android

08/12/2013 at 03:13

The OS should be Android.

27/02/2014 at 22:53

Actually I do have an idea as to what the OS situation could become. I’m not sure if this is possible.. ,but Linux or Android may both be options. The “motherboard” can have either of the two (PLEASE NO WINDOWS lol) ,but the “motherboard” can have a very beginning state of an OS. Then the additional pieces may be able to correspond with the current OS and CPU blok.Example: Android OS 2.2 or “Froyo” as a definitive OS out the box for the “motherboard” and that reciprocating base version CPU to run with that version of android. Then to upgrade the CPU blok, one would simply find any version blok with an OS higher then what they have if available, (gingerbread, honeycomb etc.), which would instantly update the new OS when the new blok is . This wouldn’t take long because the update would be within the first partitions to only have minutes of down time compared to an OTA update. Now will the new OS blok render the currently equipped bloks usless?? I’m not entirely sure how that part would work.

04/03/2014 at 13:39

Android !!! some people love and some people don’t.

new
04/03/2014 at 14:50

The OS should be 100% customizable, I get that people love Android and all that but I don’t think it’s the best option for this phone.

04/03/2014 at 15:32

ytzvi16 wrote: The OS should be Android. Khaled_altayeb wrote: Android !!! some people love and some people don’t. We are not talking about what the OS should be but rather what it will be

04/03/2014 at 16:40

I think Android is very open, but an Android rooted by default can be great.Because, when the OS is root we can change everything, so PhoneBlocks can make a sort of Android distribution with many customization options, because in my opinion is the base of Android, and PhoneBlock.The main inconvenient in Android is the security, it’s very easy for a hacker to enter in your intimity, so a better firewall, a better anti virus and a little application to raise awareness of the risks on the internet.

new
04/03/2014 at 18:10

AlanM wrote: I think Android is very open, but an Android rooted by default can be great.Because, when the OS is root we can change everything, so PhoneBlocks can make a sort of Android distribution with many customization options, because in my opinion is the base of Android, and PhoneBlock.The main inconvenient in Android is the security, it’s very easy for a hacker to enter in your intimity, so a better firewall, a better anti virus and a little application to raise awareness of the risks on the internet. Lol only open source android i know of is AOSP

04/03/2014 at 18:40

I don’t said “Android is open source” I said “Android is very open”, so I wanted to say :In my opinion the OS should have the same ideology as the Phonebloks’ concept, like the Windows phone design, sort of colored cube, no ?

new
04/03/2014 at 18:50

AlanM wrote: I don’t said “Android is open source” I said “Android is very open”, so I wanted to say :In my opinion the OS should have the same ideology as the Phonebloks’ concept, like the Windows phone design, sort of colored cube, no ? Oh i thought you meant open as in open source, but i get what you saying but i don’t know about the windows phone design though

04/03/2014 at 19:54

TechMarq wrote: Oh i thought you meant open as in open source, but i get what you saying but i don’t know about the windows phone design though I mean this sort of design (see attachment)

04/03/2014 at 21:00

Android is very open source. The problem is once a company puts it in it’s phone, they heavily modify it it loses the open-ness. I think having the option to change out the OS on a block would be awesome. Ubuntu has their phone software coming out soon (hopefully) and it’s designed to work within the Android system or completely separate from it. Having either of those OS would be amazing. You would never get the IOS system on these phones. Apple is notorious for never sharing their ideas with anyone, let alone allowing a different company to use their OS on a different device than one they make.Another plus with Ubuntu is the ability to turn your phone into a computer. And this will work within the Android system as well:http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

04/03/2014 at 22:05

199OlivierLenaerts wrote: Android is very open source. The problem is once a company puts it in it’s phone, they heavily modify it it loses the open-ness. I think having the option to change out the OS on a block would be awesome. Ubuntu has their phone software coming out soon (hopefully) and it’s designed to work within the Android system or completely separate from it. Having either of those OS would be amazing. You would never get the IOS system on these phones. Apple is notorious for never sharing their ideas with anyone, let alone allowing a different company to use their OS on a different device than one they make.Another plus with Ubuntu is the ability to turn your phone into a computer. And this will work within the Android system as well:http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android Great idea, they can make a sort of device to plug it to our Ubuntu’s computer

new
04/03/2014 at 22:09

AlanM wrote: I mean this sort of design (see attachment) I know,but I’m not sure aboutit. I think it should look a lil different than the Windows UI

04/03/2014 at 22:12

Yeah not a copy / past, but I mean in this way

04/03/2014 at 23:04

Yeah, like have dual-usb inputs and an hdmi out so we could plug in a keyboard & mouse and have it connected to a tv. Simple computer that you can take with you wherever you go! That would be awesome!

05/03/2014 at 01:10

199OlivierLenaerts wrote: Yeah, like have dual-usb inputs and an hdmi out so we could plug in a keyboard & mouse and have it connected to a tv. Simple computer that you can take with you wherever you go! That would be awesome! Yes I certainly agree with you ! And did you have a look here ? http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/operators-and-oemsThey also target the superphone category as well, which should be a phone that has the power of a little computer, and thanks specifically to Ubuntu phone, this power could be well used!

17/03/2014 at 21:26

or options for os Visit my account for tab blocks waterproof blocks and cheap blocks

new
19/03/2014 at 15:07

nammyxo wrote: Has the team decided which one will it be or are they still in debate?Please update us Its not going to be android for sure! :(It was posted by nikola on this link :https://discuss.phonebloks.com/forum/view_topic/2/1367/Software-development/OS-conflictsdiscussions

20/03/2014 at 01:31

ios, apple , android your choice or windows thats the best idea

20/03/2014 at 06:53

How about freedom to choice any OS an user want ?I am impressed with development of Sailfish Jolla & if Ara devel team forks Jolla and brings it to Phonebloks, it would be great. Hence, my vote goes for Jolla Sailfish OS.However, a question does arise in my mind – What tweaks should be merged in Linux Kernel to make it fully compatible to Phonebloks ? (Or no tweaks needed?)

las
20/03/2014 at 07:20

I think users can buy bloks With the OS they like.

21/03/2014 at 00:54

i am writing a os for possibly phonebloks

21/03/2014 at 11:53

The best OS for such kind of phone is an android OS, first of all it is open source, then it has many established features, which can save time in making a new OS and the linux based concepts of android like customizable kernels can give the best performance if the processor of the modular phone is changed

25/03/2014 at 23:27

There can be module to replace.. or option to rewrite your OS inside flash. But I think that for preserving originality there should be Original OS for Phoneblocks 🙂 it should be based on Linux or BSD kernel and not so RAM-eating like android is 😀

26/03/2014 at 05:48

I guess the OS should be linux, it is open and can easily be modified as the PHONEBLOCKS can be ..With Android, its not backward compatible, but in linux, we can have that flesibility

27/03/2014 at 14:54

giob wrote: Actually I do have an idea as to what the OS situation could become. I’m not sure if this is possible.. ,but Linux or Android may both be options. The “motherboard” can have either of the two (PLEASE NO WINDOWS lol) ,but the “motherboard” can have a very beginning state of an OS. Then the additional pieces may be able to correspond with the current OS and CPU blok.Example: Android OS 2.2 or “Froyo” as a definitive OS out the box for the “motherboard” and that reciprocating base version CPU to run with that version of android. Then to upgrade the CPU blok, one would simply find any version blok with an OS higher then what they have if available, (gingerbread, honeycomb etc.), which would instantly update the new OS when the new blok is . This wouldn’t take long because the update would be within the first partitions to only have minutes of down time compared to an OTA update. Now will the new OS blok render the currently equipped bloks usless?? I’m not entirely sure how that part would work.

27/03/2014 at 15:08

Sorry if my last post posted, on the mobile site for the first time and wasn’t paying attention. User error. Anyway, I won’t buy this phone if it only supports Android OS. Google plays fast and loose with their privacy policy, and its even been called out to be fixed by the supreme court, yet they don’t stop their internal policy if selling your information and/or just giving it away. I will never buy android because google doesn’t care about protecting its user. So, again, I will not buy into this if its android only. In fact, I will talk bad about this product everywhere I go if it is only android. I will post negative comments and reviews everywhere I go about how Phonebloks teamed up with and stayed exclusive with a company that enjoys giving away your personal private information. I will do my dammed hardest to derail any good reviews by talking about its partnership with a company that stores every bit of private and public information possible and gives it away to others for free (they don’t even sell it, they just let third party companies have free access to your information if they are even the least bit tied to you, which literally includes clicking on one of their ads, even by accident, on someone else’s app!!!). The fact that no one realizes how loose google is with their privacy policy is ludicrous!!! Everyone rags on Microsoft, and even apple with their one weakness that was fixed in a week or two. But google? Aww, they can’t do wrong! People don’t realize how much they control and shut down anti-google pr. Every company has a blacklist for those people who get a product to review just so they can nit pick every bad detail and not list anything good out of spite. But talk bad about google or it’s products, and you get blacklisted for life. I know Microsoft puts it out there, but look up scroogled. Its a bit over the top, but the information backing the hype is true. So, to say it again… I know you’re partnered with google, and I don’t blame you for jumping at the opportunity to work with such a big name company that has tons of resources and gives you freedom. But be mindful of their privacy policies. And if you go exclusive to android, I will not only not buy the product, I will bash it every chance I get. I love the product and the idea, but I hate google with a passion. I used to be a big Google lover, but once I saw the truth…

27/03/2014 at 17:14

hey can they come up with ubuntu,cyanogenmod or android?

27/03/2014 at 18:32

Why everybody LOVES android? Firefox OS, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, Windows, Or Just iOS?? Open OS!

new
27/03/2014 at 19:21

kefche2003 wrote: Why everybody LOVES android? Firefox OS, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, Windows, Or Just iOS?? Open OS! I need to let you know that we prob. wont be using any of those OS-es, we will have new/unique OS for Phonebloks :)Team PhonebloksNikola

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.