We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Organised cleaning of plastic litter from rivers?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pseudonymous 1 year ago.

Rutger van den Beuken rutger

Organised cleaning of plastic litter from rivers?

30/05/2019 at 15:00

Hi there,

I was commissioned by the Lectorate (applied research group) Sustainable River Management [1] to do a thesis research on the clean-up of Dutch rivers, using the value chain approach. The goal is to find bottlenecks in the plastic litter chain and advice the lectorate on how to optimise the removal and reuse of plastic litter. This could potentially result in a new approach to organising organisations in setting up a partnership for the systemic removal of plastic litter from our rivers!

I am still looking for respondents to interview. Are you involved -or do you know- of oranisations that are active in monitoring, catching, processing, reusing (recycling, upcycling etc.) plastic litter from rivers? Please let me know 🙂

-Rutger
[email protected]

[1] https://sites.google.com/view/sustainablerivermanagement/home?authuser=0

3 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on date
warrior
30/05/2019 at 17:28

Hi @rutger ,

thank you.

Be sure to also check the Ocean Plastic research topic which also leads to maps and links like e.g. the open litter map and the nurdle map which could lead you to the people you are looking for (especially the nurdle map is very river bound with regards to plastic pollution I noticed).

starter
30/05/2019 at 17:06

The question is “what are the bottlenecks in the plastic litter chain that complicate the systemic removal and reuse of plastic litter from rivers?”.

So far, I’ve done some interviews already and I am getting a clearer image about the situation. But more respondents are required! Especially from parties that are responsible for river management and processing plastic litter.

Edit: An interview will take between 30 and 60 minutes. It preferably takes place at location, but can also be done through phone. The interview will be recorded, for qualitative reasons, it will be treated as confidential and won’t be shared with anyone else.

Rutger

warrior
30/05/2019 at 16:46

Hi @rutger,

I’m Dutch, and I think plastics an other ‘chemicals’ can be re/upcycled, so thank you ‘rest of Europe’ for dumping them in our rivers.

What was the question again?

Hydro power?

Building Dams at our borders?

I think that’s going a bit far, don’t you?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪