We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

PET as a 3D printer filament

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pia May 3 years ago.

Pia May piamay

PET as a 3D printer filament

21/11/2016 at 16:09

Currently, we’re planning to build an extrusion machine to recycle PET , thus to produce filament. I just watched your videos on what plastics can be used; PET is included right? But upon reading some studies on recycling PET bottles, I found out that it might be too difficult to extrude such kind of plastic.
Is it really possible for us to recycle PET for this purpose?
What factors should be considered?

Your respond will be well appreciated. Thanks !

4 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
23/11/2016 at 23:02

Yep PET is definitely one of the most difficult one. I would suggest to focus on another type of plastic like ABS first. Once you fully understand your machine and setup go level 2, PET

starter
30/11/2016 at 12:20

Thank you sir. What about using shredded PET plastic bottles for other purposes? Is it already possible?

hero
30/11/2016 at 18:16

@piamay PET filament is feasible, just make sure to preheat your extruder to at least 260 Celsius degrees, that your plastic is totally free of contaminants such as food, paper/plastic labels, glue residues, etc. And finally, make sure to dry your PET plastic before extruding it, otherwise the filament will be full of bubbles and will be unusable for printing.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_bottle_recycling#Further_treatment

starter
01/12/2016 at 07:31

This is such a relief. Thanks sir @xxxolivierxxx .

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪