We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Philippines Shredders and Mods

Butte Metz btmetz

Philippines Shredders and Mods

15/02/2019 at 01:30

Making some incremental mods to the V3 shredder.

First was TIG welding stud bolts instead of those pesky tapered head bolts.

I think the next batch will get a 14mm size hole and m14 bolt to match the 14mm hole in the flange bearing.  It is a loose fit and makes assembly and tuning tricky.

Shafting was upgraded to 32mm hex bar and 1 inch shafting.

I tried 25mm but since the inch standard is more common here in the Philippines, and a bit cheaper for bearings, I went with inch size on that.

Also the shafting drawing is wrong in my download pack along with the parts count layout.  The hex part is too short and I end up using too many spacers which is also not accounted for in the laser layout.  Drawing and CAD model says 14 pieces.  Layout says 15 blades.

Latest batch, the drawing for the frame has been modded.

I expanded it to 350mm wide vs the 250mm original width.  Now have room to mount a gas engine and pulley speed reduction and a 2hp electric motor/pulley chain speed reduction.

Pictures to follow

18 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on date
warrior
13/07/2019 at 05:24

final version.

Added in a better discharge chute.

Reverse switch added in to clear jams

small mods to the files to correct some errors in the holes that needed re-work

added in motor mount

Attachments:
warrior
27/02/2019 at 02:05

I sent a shredder to Cagayan de Oro in the Philippines with a 2hp electric motor and a shredder and injection mold machine went to a remote island north of Coron to a coral reef project.

This week 7 more shredders under construction.

Redesigning the frame to work with local available parts/materials.

Changing it to CNC cut and bent 2.5mm galvanized sheet metal.  Using a pulley from the motor to a shaft 1:6 reduction and then a 15:58 reduction with a sprocket and chain.

The gear boxes are hugely expensive here and the cheaper Chinese gear boxes have had some issues and needed the oil seals rebuilt.

This design simplifies it and makes maintenance easier.  It also uses common available agricultural equipment parts here.

Video of the adventure to Coron coming very soon.

The whole journey from buying materials, to the boat rides, van ride on dirt roads, rough seas, and finally setting up on the beach on a remote island.  Total travel was 46 hours from Manila

Attachments:
warrior
06/03/2019 at 02:59

The shop primarily builds rice mills.  Big multi million dollar projects.

Precious plastic is a side project of the owner and my full time project.

I use 14mm grade 8 stud bolts tig welded to the front and back of the plate for the bearings.

I am considering going up to 10mm plate and tapping threads to make it easier to assemble.

@robert

I make all the precious plastic machines.  Prices are in the facebook page I sent you a link to.

The Shredder I build is somewhat modified from the original design.  Hardened blades, bigger shafting, and a different frame/motor that the original spec.

The original spec motor is woo expensive and the welded tube frame takes too long to make vs the sheet metal bolt together design.  It also looks more professional for the local market vs the local competition homemade scrap metal shredder machines with booger welds costing over 2500usd.

06/03/2019 at 01:57

@btmetz, you mentioned over 40 people working in your factory, that’s quite a story. can we invite you for an interview via skype ? we’re looking out for partners and successful machine builders around PP, more of a research task.
btw. would be indeed nice to see you contributing to a v3.1 update, see github link. @davehakkens at least recons that a reference material bill could make it’s ways into an update …
thanks

05/03/2019 at 15:10

@btmetz: thanks for the detailed info. i have my doubts that plasma isn’t good enough. from what i’ve seen it’s cutting well enough, just some details have to be aligned. however, would you be willing to participate in a v3.1 update ? If so please join the issue for sources here : https://github.com/hakkens/precious-plastic-kit/issues/14. I’d like also add alternative/realistic material bills when buying the parts new, per continent. I’d be happy to know about prices in your region. For now, my updates will make use of a 28 mm hexbar with a 25mm exit. To me it should rather be a 32 mm hexbar, with a 30 mm exit diameter. I also found those M10 threads a little too cute for the job, especially when putting a 3Kw + motor on the system.

new
05/03/2019 at 05:36

Hello, Are you only making and modifying the shredders?  or other Precious Plastic machines too?  Cost?

Robert Johnson

warrior
05/03/2019 at 01:22

For thick material the Hypertherm Powermax cuts fine, but for bolt holes it is lacking and some sheet metal details are lost.

It was a big game changer though in the shop.  it essentially cut production time in less than half.  So thats 40 guys in the production area working 2 months instead of 5 months to get to the amount fabricated this year.  At this point the biggest delay is painting everything fast enough, as the painters are not reliable coming into work.

Attached is rendering of the next shredder frame.  Drawings are not complete yet.  I am still working out getting the drawings from my CAD into FastCAM without getting errors.  Hopefully that will be fixed in the next 2 or 3 days and we can start building it.

Attachments:
04/03/2019 at 21:53

@btmetz,
i’d actually insist a little on that pictures of a hypertherm-80 10-20 mm cut, sorry for pushing but this brand is quite a game changer though. 🙂
g

new
04/03/2019 at 17:45

Hello,  Robert Johnson up in Global City.  Business person, marketing and environmentalist.  Interested in setting up shop in Aug/Sept.  Please get back to me about the making of Precious Plastics shop machines.  I am already shopping for a used container and rental business space.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Robert Johnson

04/03/2019 at 10:54

right, you have some pictures of edges cutted with the plasma cuts ? we ordered a hypertherm 50 and from what i saw the cut is more than fine 🙂
could you do updates about your laser build ? we have plans to get one as well. thanks

warrior
04/03/2019 at 10:43

Already have a plasma table.  1500×2500 mm size with a Hypertherm Powermax 85 and oxy/acetylene torch.

It cuts okay, but I prefer to send it out to the Fiber laser across town and get nice clean edges.

Looking at a Trumpf fiber laser 1kw now.  Prices have come down a lot lately.

04/03/2019 at 10:19

btw. if you do so many shredders, I would consider getting a plasma CNC table. After 10 shredders you have the money back easily. A sufficient enough table with plasma is around 3-4K . There is also some re-design needed but it worth the effort, also doing a more effient dual axle shredder becomes a piece of cake, soon more about.

warrior
04/03/2019 at 10:15

its TIG welded both sides with grade8 bolts.  I don’t see how its going to come apart.

04/03/2019 at 10:08

great work btmetz, just one thing: I am afraid the bolt won’t last very long that way. we’ve end up adding more support shoulders around the bearing housing; just to make sure 🙂

warrior
04/03/2019 at 04:43

Another video from different angle and better resolution
https://youtu.be/DcVQ4rZ0eDo

warrior
15/02/2019 at 01:36

Here we are sorting a batch of 10 shredder laser cut parts.

warrior
16/07/2019 at 23:43

Production run of shredders.

Still getting the process down.  First time building 3 at once.

Ran into some issues with the CNC bending.

Last batch the chains and belts were perfect tightness without any mods.

This batch the CNC bender operator quit and the new guy is sending different bends.  just slightly different enough that it took hours of re-work to get everything to fit.

Also having issues with the pulley set screws.  Machinist did everything in imperial thread.  Had a hard time getting the right units.  Also it seems I have bought out nearly every B type 47 inch belt in the area auto parts stores.

I have also bought out every affordable 64 amp double pole double throw transfer switch around town.  I have ordered a box of them from overseas now.  Just can not justify buying the only remaining transfer switches here that cost $90usd vs the $14USD I paid before.

Also for now I have abandoned the use of caster wheels on the bottom of the shredders.  I will revisit that in the next batch.  It was not the cost, rather all the drilling of bolt holes as they were not drawn in yet.

Also a new extrusion design on the drawing board.  Abandoning the PP design in favor of a sheet metal frame, and some other parts inspired by a meat grinder.

Actually I am wondering if a 2hp meat grinder is capable of being modded to use with a extrusion machine?  I keep the hopper, and attach a barrel, and PP compression screw to it?  Something to think about.

Attachments:
warrior
27/03/2019 at 02:06

Shredder frame in from the laser shop with CNC bending.

I outsourced this frame vs doing it in house.  The laser makes nicer holes, and I didnt have any 3mm galvanized in stock.

Test assembly in the picture.  Still needs motor installed, wiring, cooling vents, emergency stop.

We have a system that will stop the motor in case of jamming here already that will be used.

This system omits the gearbox and relies on belt/pulley and sprocket/chain to reduce the speed.  It is cheaper and more reliable than the Chinese worm gearboxes.  100sd vs 300usd

Attachments:
Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪