Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

Phonebloks – A great idea but not needed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile gravatar of Simon Simon 1 month ago.

Profile gravatar of BradyBrady
bradyac

Phonebloks – A great idea but not needed

04/09/2016 at 06:33

Hello,

I would first and formost like to point out that the phonebloks idea is a stellar idea and is something I have been excited about for some time. The thing is, I just don’t believe that a project like this is the right direction to go. Mostly because of design. I thought this was a great idea having the ability to upgrade your phone to the newest and best tech whenever you want without changing the entire device. The thing is I feel at this point we want the whole device to change. For an example, consider iPhones. We have been built up to expect stronger iPhones ever year or two. Something that is more capable of running the latest and greatest software’s, blah blah blah… but the thing people seem to pay the most attention to is the exterior of the phone. Look at how the iPhone has been trending on Facebook the past couple of weeks. It is mostly about the exterior of the phone. From what I have found people don’t really know about the interior of phones and why should they? They simply expect tech companies to deliver the best thing possible to them so that is what tech companies try to do. BUT the thing people latch to the most is the visual appeal. At this point any tech company can release a phone that is capable of what a typical consumer expects. Not to many people are crying over specific components lacking.

Get the basic idea of what I am trying to say here? Although phone blocks offers people the latest and greatest possible tech for their phones and the customization of their phones components, people still go crazy over the latest iPhone. That is because the newest and greatest iPhone is the prettiest phone there is on the market. At least that is my opinion.

I love the phone blocks idea, I think it is great to allow that customization. Sadly I believe people don’t care enough to have this full customization. People want it made for them. Beautiful, handheld devices that are capable to do what is needed in their time.

Haha just some thoughts. Thanks for reading. 🙂

Profile gravatar of Steffi
09/09/2016 at 13:14

I think even though you are right with the majority of people there are some that would be highly interested in being part of optimizing their phones and have a functioning device for a longer periode of time!
I hate getting used to a new phone when my old one had everything i needed but lasts only for two to three years.
Of course is a reusable phone dangerous for our throw-away-society (“Wegwerfgesellschaft”) and the companies that use this system for their fortune.

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Simon
05/02/2017 at 00:00

Yes you are right to a certain degree, but the people that are shallow enough just to be happy with the look of a iphone surely are not the target consumers for the phonebloks, the same reason that avid android users would never touch an iphone, horses for courses I suppose, I for one would love to see the project succeed as I think its an excellent idea, we live in such a wasteful society and electronics are outdated as soon as there sold, why? why do we need this? we are creating a mountain of ewaste that ends up in china or india because its nice and cheap for the west to send it there, never mind the ecological problems it causes, this world is burying itself under a mountain of waste that is killing it and it needs to stop.

Toggle replies
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.