We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Phonebloks OS?

DarrenPlace darrenplace

Phonebloks OS?

17/04/2014 at 00:56

Imagine if we were to create a custom OS for Phonebloks? It would support all of the different blok configurations. more importantly, it would have all of the features requested by you! What do you think about this idea?

76 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Phonebloks OS?

02/11/2014 at 07:55

But if we have android, it already is very developed. They have a flourishing app store with an SDK already made. If we use android, we can cut out a whole load of developing time for the software. Don’t forget, Android can be tweaked a lot.

02/11/2014 at 11:08

landshark wrote: But if we have android, it already is very developed. They have a flourishing app store with an SDK already made. If we use android, we can cut out a whole load of developing time for the software. Don’t forget, Android can be tweaked a lot. Yes of course but in the future of this phone, the necessity of a new os will be needed and just for his complexity and of his modular capability. Android is still a good beginning until the first release of this phone.

02/11/2014 at 13:49

Personally, I disagree. An OS that already has thousands of apps is a lot more attractive. Consumers don’t want a new OS that does not have many apps or add-on’s. If Phonebloks OS could be made with android functionality, such as the play store and other apps, but still have full comparability with Phonebloks hardware, that would be the best.

06/11/2014 at 06:14

android is more flexible than it seems, look at my example i posted on this site, it just needs skins and emulators pre-installed

starter
05/01/2015 at 05:33

I think if a custom OS can beat android and apple than we have a winner!

05/01/2015 at 05:37

dude… a new os is a lot of work…

starter
05/01/2015 at 08:20

yeah no doubt! but there is no time limit on the phoneblok as of yet! project ara on the other hand I think they will be going with android OS for sure.

09/01/2015 at 07:18

I have been thinking those blocks should not be restricted to build phones, but pads, laptops and PCs. In this case, Android versus Windows, Android seems to be easier to develop but with limited user scenarios, however If we use windows it will be compatible with lots of softwares at present. Would like to know your thoughts about the pros and cons.

10/01/2015 at 06:58

this oides has been suguested before, and im sure it will be a future project

22/01/2015 at 12:44

There are several operating systems such Windows, iOS, Android, Tizen, Ubuntu. I think phonebloks should give the user the option of choosing his favourite OS and should not be limited to one Operating system. When you can change hardware according to needs the same should go with the operating system.Also if the user wants to have dual OS something like Ubuntu Edge(Ubuntu and Android)(it did not enter the market). A type-1 hypervisor could be used to achieve this

26/01/2015 at 08:14

jayavignesh wrote: There are several operating systems such Windows, iOS, Android, Tizen, Ubuntu. I think phonebloks should give the user the option of choosing his favourite OS and should not be limited to one Operating system. When you can change hardware according to needs the same should go with the operating system.Also if the user wants to have dual OS something like Ubuntu Edge(Ubuntu and Android)(it did not enter the market). A type-1 hypervisor could be used to achieve this you do realize that the os will need to be adjusted to the needs of the phone, there will be ALOT of bugs at first. It will be better to pick one OS and focus on bugfixing it and optimizing it rather than multiple ones that would probably work badly

new
26/01/2015 at 09:47

I agree with you! First of all the phone need an OS without bug! And only after that you can think to introduce another OS!But DO NOT forget the elegance, the design of the system! For 4 different resons:- a wonderful phone need a wonderfull OS:- an elegant OS invite people to buy it:- an elegant OS simplifies the use:- an elegant OS can comprehend from youngsters to business-mans.I hope it will be usefull for you!! 🙂

26/01/2015 at 16:06

nammyxo wrote: you do realize that the os will need to be adjusted to the needs of the phone, there will be ALOT of bugs at first. It will be better to pick one OS and focus on bugfixing it and optimizing it rather than multiple ones that would probably work badly I guess you are right. A phone needs to have one decent Operating System before multiple operating system can be provided.

26/01/2015 at 23:11

exactly

27/01/2015 at 06:53

using BLOCK OS supported by cyanogen mod rom android 4.4 and wear blocks UI

30/04/2015 at 14:36

daviddai wrote: I have been thinking those blocks should not be restricted to build phones, but pads, laptops and PCs. In this case, Android versus Windows, Android seems to be easier to develop but with limited user scenarios, however If we use windows it will be compatible with lots of softwares at present. Would like to know your thoughts about the pros and cons. If I was workshopping to support apps in this movement i’d back android OS, their mission is aligned, a system that works cross platform (& manufacturer). I don’t see Google about facing on this one.What I’d like to see is screen sharing across devices, for example: place 2 together to double the viewing area, cast your screen from the phoneblok onto your IOS, or your friends.I see this can allow for the ‘pick and choose’ vibe of phoneblok to carry in with your old hardware.Perhaps it makes sense to carry 3 devices working in tandem when they share resources (especially if you are resurrecting old phones from your IT drawer and don’t have to dish out the cash to make it happen).

Viewing 16 replies - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪