We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plant based plastics help

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  allen guo 5 months ago.

Russell Detar radrecycle

Plant based plastics help

21/06/2019 at 01:27

Hello all, one of the many projects I am working on is developing a hemp based plastic material. But I have never worked with plastic/wood combinations before. I am hoping that the process is similar. I have access to an abundance of hemp material to work with. So any advice and experimental knowledge would be greatly appreciated, 🙏🏻 💚♻️🌎

23 replies
4 subscribers
2 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
21/06/2019 at 09:01

@radrecycle

(waves hand): “This is the Topic you are looking for”

I take it you have access to the fibres, not the seeds?
For making bioplastic you would need the oil, but since plastic is basically an Hemp alternative, not the other way around, why not go Old School?

starter
21/06/2019 at 16:47

I do have access to the crude oil but also the fiber material like stalks and stems. I can’t seem to find any straight forward way of doing this unless I treated it as wood and combined it with post consumer plastics.

starter
21/06/2019 at 16:49

What do you mean by going old school? Thanks again for your response by the way 🙏🏻

warrior
21/06/2019 at 17:01

I meant ‘old school’ as in how Hemp was used before it got de-legalised because of plastic patents.

Paper (the US-constitution is written on hemp paper), textiles (the original denim), rope (any sailing boat before the 1930’s) etc.

There is a wealth on hemp information out there.

starter
21/06/2019 at 18:46

Haha thanks man. Also I read that topic thread you linked and I’m also experimenting with cornstarch/tapioca starch with vinegar and glycerine to try to produce a moldable plastic product but I didn’t see anything like that being mentioned in there. I was out in Hawaii recently and they had these cups made out of corn everywhere so I began wondering how they made them and how I may be able to replicate. My hypothesis, is that they had to have used a similar mixture the cups are nearly indistinguishable from PET because technically it is PLA from the corn sugar molecules converting and the glycerin as the plasticizer. Any ideas? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Attachments:
warrior
21/06/2019 at 18:58

Yeah, you can also make bioplastic with potato starch and glycerine.
Only have Dutch info/videos about this at the moment, but a quick search also gave me this:

Should give you the general idea…

warrior
21/06/2019 at 20:29

There is also this topic.

starter
21/06/2019 at 21:08

@donald that’s exactly what I was thinking! So the question now, is how to make it a thicker, moldable/workable polymer. I’ve read that the drying is the most difficult part in working with these materials aside from the 50-60 degree difference in melting point and degradation.

starter
21/06/2019 at 21:15

Thanks @frogfall that research is all very interesting but unfortunately, (my own opinion) “the aesthetics of the peel, wheat and gluten mixtures make it kind of hard to sell as packaging to the majority.” My long term goal is to actually industrialize packaging materials made out of biodegradable polymers. Thanks again for the link I would use them!

warrior
21/06/2019 at 22:41

Article from last year: Plastic Soup (or “We won’t save the Earth with a better kind of disposable coffee cup”)

The problem is not plastic. It is consumerism.

By George Monbiot, published in the Guardian 5th September 2018

Do you believe in miracles? If so, please form an orderly queue. Plenty of people imagine we can carry on as we are, as long as we substitute one material for another. Last month, a request to Starbucks and Costa to replace their plastic coffee cups with cups made from corn starch was retweeted 60,000 times, before it was deleted.

Those who supported this call failed to ask themselves where the corn starch would come from, how much land is needed to grow it or how much food production it will displace. They overlooked the damage this cultivation would inflict: growing corn (maize) is notorious for causing soil erosion, and often requires heavy doses of pesticides and fertilisers.

The problem is not just plastic. The problem is mass disposability. Or, to put it another way, the problem is pursuing, on the one planet known to harbour life, a four-planet lifestyle. Regardless of what we consume, the sheer volume of consumption is overwhelming the Earth’s living systems.

Don’t get me wrong. Our greed for plastic is a major environmental blight, and the campaigns to limit its use are well-motivated and sometimes effective. But we cannot address our environmental crisis by swapping one over-used resource for another. When I challenged that call, some people asked me, “so what should we use instead?”. The right question is “how should we live?”. But systemic thinking is an endangered species.

Continued: https://www.monbiot.com/2018/09/12/plastic-soup/

starter
21/06/2019 at 23:26

@frogfall that was definitely a painful article to read! I agree with not over using one resource to create an alternative. Which is why we need to be focusing on many different forms of these biodegradable polymer solutions. One material will not be the answer, I think is the point your trying to get across. Fortunately there are many forms of starches and natural plasticizers for us to experiment with and come up with many alternatives. Thanks for the article!

warrior
22/06/2019 at 08:33

@radrecycle
Well, prepare for a Vegan revolt, but there is always option 3:
https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/news/new-bioplastics-bring-chitin-out-its-shell
And sure ‘shrimps’ are going to be the main supplier…?!
In Urban Farming you have several chitin waste streams:
Shrimp shells could be a possible byproduct in salt-water aquaponics, but the majority would be produced by the… mealworms eating the biomass waste.

So yes, look towards bugs and chitin. The linked topic shows the’ll also eat plastic waste…

@frogfall
Corny but fun:

starter
22/06/2019 at 09:15

Any sample of this plastic??

warrior
22/06/2019 at 09:54

Some material samples can be found here

photos:
1) coffee capsules made from chitin nanofibrils and polylactic acid
2) Cups and egg containers made of shrimp shell derived plastic

Attachments:
starter
22/06/2019 at 09:57

Are the bio degradable/ compostable?? @donald

warrior
22/06/2019 at 10:03

@deepakbhutra7289
This would of course depend on what additives you use, but in and of itself, yes.

starter
22/06/2019 at 11:29

i want to manufacture this in India , what should I do @donald

warrior
22/06/2019 at 11:43

@deepakbhutra7289
I think you can best start by contacting Plasticula directly, they should be able to point you in the right direction, also depending on the scale of operation you are thinking about.
I myself am (also) just starting on this subject, and I’m mainly involved because mealworms are a byproduct of Urban Farming, but you can always PM me if you need more help.

starter
22/06/2019 at 11:56

Thank you for your information and support
@donald

starter
24/06/2019 at 04:26

Hi peoples, just new here, first post actually. !
Recently Hempearth Canada posted this about hemp-fibre /plastic for 3D printing. Any experience of this?

https://hempearth.ca/2019/06/20/can-you-3d-print-with-hemp-yes-you-can/

newbie regards, in Parramatta, Sydney. Australia

warrior
24/06/2019 at 09:13

Hi Simon @simonalexander
You really know how to make an entrance 🙂

Very interesting article.

Filament-less 3d-printers are also on the rise at the moment, which would make techniques like this way more easier.
@3dseed ‘s 3d printer
or a printer like discussed here:
Trash Printer! 3D printing from PP an HDPE flakes!
Should be able to print self mixed, euh, mixes of materials…

starter
27/06/2019 at 02:08

Does anybody have any experience working with PHA? (Polyhydroxyalkanoate)

new
02/07/2019 at 11:36

This is really an innovation that supports your idea.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪