We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic and sand tiles

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  manisha Ujankar 3 months ago.

Amanfo Apenteng oamanfo69

Plastic and sand tiles

05/11/2017 at 23:44

I came across the idea of mixing plastics and Sand in the ratio 3:7 to make roof and pavement tile. But the problems are
1. While some companies use only HDPE only others mix other plastics up but no pet plastic is used though. Is it adviceable to stick to HDPE only or incorporate other kind of plastics.the reason being that I don’t wanna limit resources but I want to create quality cost effective tiles which are still recyclable.
2. Some use river sand because of its smoothness and it’s even sieved to make it even smothier. This is to prevent pores in the tiles. The other side of the argument is that river sand and sieving bring additional cost. Rather any sand can be used but a high compression is the used to prevent any pores in the tiles.
3. One company in Canada called polysand makes these tiles. Another company in Uganda called resintile make these to but they don’t Wana help. You can check their website
4.I need your opinion to help perfect this idea to produce QUALITY, COST EFFECTIVE RECYCLABLE tiles.
5.I also need an engineering company to build machines for this project at affordable price. I need your help. Thank you.

15 replies
5 subscribers
2 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Plastic and sand tiles

starter
09/11/2017 at 18:16

Wouldn’t mixing sand with the plastic essentially make it a non-recyclable product? It would not be cost effective to try and separate the plastic from the sand later on. Genuinely interested in this.

~ Danial

starter
10/11/2017 at 03:14

The idea to make it recyclable is not to separate the sand and plastic later on but if for any reason the customer doesn’t want the tiles again, it will be recycled back into tiles. If for example a customer uses it for say 10 years and decides to dicontinue use, we will then buy it at a reduced price and recycle it into new tiles but not to separate the sand and plastic. Thank you

starter
10/11/2017 at 13:52

Ah I see. Do you know if anyone has tested recycling plastic that has long term UV exposure? I know most plastics degrade over time when left in the sun. I am wondering how the resulting change in the plastic will affect the recycling process.

It would be interesting to see some of the tiles. It sounds very interesting!

starter
11/11/2017 at 04:59

Yh it has. These tiles usually has a waranty of 50 years. Just google polysand in Canada. And resintile in Uganda. The main component of the tile is not plastic but sand which makes up of 70%. Plastic serves only as a bonding agent. Hence you don’t have to worry about the sun hitting it. It’s very durable based on my research so far. You can also google ideal eco tiles in india. Thank you

starter
18/11/2017 at 13:51

To bond sand using recycled plastics is indeed a very interesting possibility.

Does anybody know details about how it is being done?
Certainly the production process requires the application of heat.
Would they heat the sand to the required temperature before mixing it with plastic?
Just the way the material for hot rolled Asphalt Road Surfaces is being made.
Any further info about it will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

helper
19/11/2017 at 10:20

I have looked at this too. Very interesting. One of the videos I watched from Russia used many types of plastics but said they wouldn’t discuss details of getting around the varying melting points as it was their intellectual property. I’m thinking they over cook the lower melting point plastics as there appeared to be fumes.

helper
22/11/2017 at 00:16

G’day all, Just a thought, use glass, it’s another waste product freely available, comes in lots of colors, is recyclable because of it’s higher melting point it will seperate out when the plastic is reheated. To get it to the right size for use put it in a cement mixer with some large ball baarings and let rip. You can get a lot of variation in size from pebble to dust, put the pebble size on top as a decorative feature similar to pebble mix used on concrete and the dust becomes your sand, which it started out as in the first place. Merv

dedicated
22/11/2017 at 11:26

Hi all
the glass idea has got me wondering if the tiles would create heat and then we could harness the heat generated as a solar technology
sorry I’ve got my geek hat on just thought i would put it out there to be discussed

starter
22/11/2017 at 12:07

Hello, my name is Caroline and am from Kenya. We are also trying to make paving cabro blocks from recycled plastics and sand and the ratio we used was 2:1

Currently we are using rudimentary methods to melt the plastic bags and mix with the sand as we are in the process of seeking for funding to purchase the right machinery

We would like to also use the plastic bottles and we have a challenge with the melting points as well

We shall almost similar challenges and would be happy to get help as well

helper
24/11/2017 at 01:48

As to heat retention a videa on youtube about rooftiles from plastic in russia seems to indicate that the sand mixture actually has good insulating properties compared to regular ceramic type tiles

helper
10/02/2018 at 13:58

do you call river sand Sharp Sand , Bickies Sand is called fat sand with some Clay in there. the Russian sand looks like it had clay in there.

Ken

starter
11/02/2018 at 10:11

Hello,

I’m just starting to do this same idea of making roofing tiles from recycled plastic and sand in Uganda. However, I want to do it with very minimal machinery and avoid the pellet stage…I’ve read that additives are mixed into the plastic to make the tiles UV resistant. Can additives work if I just heat and compress strips of plastic and sand instead of using an extruder?

Also, a lot of the companies say their tiles are flame resistant–how do they make that possible?

Thanks!

starter
13/02/2018 at 16:56

Good day guys. I am a civil engineering student from the Philippines. I just want to ask if some of you know the standard strengths of plastic roof tiles. we need some basis for our study. And if you can suggest what ratio of waste plastic and sand will be use. This is because we have a thesis about making a roof tile from waste polystyrene foam and sand. I am hoping for your positive response.

new
31/10/2018 at 18:28

hello everyone,
I’m from oman studying civil engineering
our project is to make pavement block out of melted plastic and sand
but we don’t know the percentage of plastic and sand needed to make 1 block.
please can you help me
our ratio is 1:3

new
27/03/2019 at 16:29

hello everyone
I’m from India studying Mtech(geotechnical engg) in NIT Warangal
I have tried melting plastic (Polypropylene) and adding sand to it. It is having increase in the strength till 20% plastic content. At 25% plastic, the strength is comparatively lesser than 20% plastic. Now I’m trying to search the mechanism behind increase in strength with increase in plastic content. If anyone is having idea please let me know.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.