We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic crates for sustainable mealworm production

Arne-jan IJzerman arne-jan

Plastic crates for sustainable mealworm production

15/10/2019 at 21:35

Dear community,

We are two students from the University of Groningen in The Netherlands. We are planning to create a start-up company where we will cultivate mealworms. To do this we would need plastic crates but we feel like this doesn’t fit in with the image we are trying to convey as a company. That’s why we wanted to see if it’s possible to create the crates from recycled plastic. Does anyone have any information on this? Or is there anyone who feels like he would be able to do it himself? We would be glad to hear from you!

Greetings,
Arne-jan & Remi

4 replies
3 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
starter
15/10/2019 at 22:28

Hello. Arne-jan & Remi

So glad to see you reached out. I’m a artist with a passion for recreating, I’m intrested in both business plan for worms and what you are looking for as a crate design?
I have not yet recycled plastics myself but I’m very creative and determined to help others. More than willing to share ideas. Ps. I love worms.😋

new
16/10/2019 at 11:45

Hi guys,
The plastic would probably contaminate the worms.
I design and manufacture rigid 100% compostable plastics extrusions (no fossil fuel plastics), maybe we could die cut some sheet material so it folds up into a box, pop in those little blighters for some wormy fun (I assume you want them to multiply 🙂
How big are the boxes?
Also we could make compostable plastic pillow packs so you can post them out.
Otherwise maybe start with some old sinks, fill the plug hole in with clay, cover
with old hessian sacks and let them party.
I have attached kind of what I mean, only bigger boxes, and also a pillow pack.
see my website it will give you the idea of what we make http://www.sku-driver.co.uk

Rob

Attachments:
new
26/10/2019 at 15:00

Hi Rob,

Thanks for you reply to our topic. We actually want to work with crates that are durable so we can re-use them for consecutive years. Do you think that’s a possibility with the compostable plastic that you make? We would be happy to hear from you! The boxes need to be about 60x40x14.5 cm. We’re trying to start big and we were thinking of around 1000 crates.

Greetings,Arne-jan & Remi

new
26/10/2019 at 15:13

Dear Emmanuel,

First off, thanks for your reply on our topic! We found the website of Dave Hakkens and were immediately interested. We’re not sure if we want to assemble a plastic recycle machine ourselves or if we want to ask others to do so. We are trying to start big and were thinking of 1000 different crates. The crates should be about 60x40x14.5 cm.

As far as the business plan for mealworms goes. We already have a location to cultivate and are halfway trough creating our own business plan. But some things like machines, and thus also the plastic crates, still have to be figured out. Any help would be more than welcome!

Greetings,
Arne-jan & Remi

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪