We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic from cable insulation ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  İncifer 1 month ago.

Toun toun

Plastic from cable insulation ?

14/10/2018 at 11:29

Hi everyone, I’m toun.I recycle in my corner certain metals and I wonder if it is possible to reuse the plastic of the electric cables?
So we could recycle copper and plastic. (I’m french, sorry for my bad english.)Thank you for your contributions.

4 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
13/01/2019 at 10:16

Hi Toun, I’m Bern. Also interested in what to do with PVC insulation and also scrap conduit from my electrical industry.

helper
23/01/2019 at 13:06

hi… this is a little complicated.
Plastics from cable insulation are almost always very degrated.

warrior
25/01/2019 at 01:38

the short answer is NO.  DO NOT MELT PVC OR VINYL!

It will release all sorts of toxic chemicals because it will not re-melt very much and instead break down.  The addition of chlorine to the mix, makes it create some very nasty things when you attempt to re-process it.  Including dioxin and hydrochloric acid.

The best you can hope for is to use it in concrete aggregate or something similar.

starter
16/09/2019 at 11:03

Hello from Turkey. İ have a question about pet and pvc.

We found tons of shredded pvc cables with all sorts of crap it in ( tiny wires, dirt, and other plastic particles) which makes it really hard to seperate them. So we thought that we can make some kind of floor tiles and such for outside usage. My question is that can we bind the pvc with melted pet ( we dont want to melt the pvc cuz its unhealthy) so that both materials will be recycled. Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you , love

Attachments:
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪