We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic Fumes

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Simone Maccagnan 2 years ago.

Suhas Mahajan suhasmahajan23

Plastic Fumes

03/02/2018 at 13:42

How harmful the plastic fumes and what safety measures need to be taken care while experimenting or making products.

Regards,
Suhas

7 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved

In reply to: Plastic Fumes

warrior
03/02/2018 at 19:01

make sure you are in a well ventilated space and and a simple mask and youll be fine

dedicated
03/02/2018 at 19:34

Hi respect also the melting temperatures otherwise the plastic will burn and have a lot of smokes…
Don’t hesitate to share your different experiences 👍
See you
Dimitri

starter
05/03/2018 at 23:24

You can never be sure which products can be formed when plastic is burnt because plastics are most of the time a mix of polymer + additives (plasticizers, colors, etc…). So since the risk is unsure, apply the precautionary principle. Inhaling unknown stuff is always a bad idea. Actual risks I’ve encountered myself during extrusion (with PE, PLA, PHA + additives) was nose, eyes and mouth irritation. I’ll tell you if I develop a cancer later. Hence the safety advice given in the other comments. Best one in my opinion is the respect of melting temperatures, in order to avoid creating the fumes in the first place. Because dispersing said fumes in the atmosphere is not ideal. Although ventilation is better than your own asphyxiation.

new
11/04/2018 at 10:06

From my 3d printing days I’d certainly use plenty of ventilation and be temped to wear a respirator if it seems to be an issue.

Some plastics a worse than others…
while 3d printing in abs it really stinks and gave headaches and nausea if didn’t have enough fresh airflow. pla was much better… I’d treat them all with caution while heated though.

helper
19/05/2018 at 02:06

It depends on temperature and polymer…
Polymer processed correctely should produce nothing too bad or at least not in dangerous concentrations, BUT! It’s sufficient a broken thermocouple that causes a overheating or a misplaced thermocouple a pellet that drop on the heater bands hottest point and the polymer may burn….
PP and HDPE or LDPE are like a candle, even if they burn, nothing bad will happend…
PET, PA, ABS, PS, etc… should no be burned or at least if it happend, mask and open air…
then there are the bad guys: PU, FEP, PVC… they may generate: cyanides, dioxin, perfluoroisobutylene, hydrofluoric acid, etc…
about temperature/heat… if PVC is burned with a high temperature and a lot of heat, any toxic gas (that is typically very reactive) may dissociate completely…
so, be very careful to always perform a proper thermoregulation… i see people talking about heating with flames or maybe cleaning tools by a gas torch…. well…. I would not do that…

starter
19/07/2018 at 09:07

@maccabot thanks for the information. Can you point to any sources about the safety of PP while heated to melting temperatures?

helper
19/07/2018 at 10:41

Hi Foamform,
this document is interesting:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ppis13.pdf
In general anyway, please do not “smoke plastic”… 🙂
As mentioned, there are always toxic elements in smoke, the smaller is the environment the higher the risk also with PP so, ventilation should be in place anyway.
concentration is the key word… small amounts in confined spaces can accumulate and become hazardous with any polymer.
the unavoidable CO, replaces O2 in your blood and can kill…
Open air environment or ventilated areas are safe when processing PP and PE, but this doesn’t mean you should underhestimate risks of unforeseen additives like aldeydes, etc. as Manix say here above the problem are additives that may produce traces of other organic compounds than CO and CO2.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪