We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic leather/plastic canvas

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Alicia Minnaard 1 week ago.

Alicia Minnaard a-minnaard

Plastic leather/plastic canvas

13/06/2017 at 10:50

Hi everyone,

I’m Alicia and I’m graduating as a Fashion Design student from Institute of Arts Artez Arnhem. I want my whole graduation collection to be sustainable, but I also want to introduce new materials. That’s why I’m experimenting with plastic waste and to make eventually like a leather/canvas feel material out of recycled plastic. The problem is that I want to make it flexible to make jackets out of it, but latex doesn’t mix with plastic and silicone is against my concept because you’re actually creating new plastic again.
Is there anybody who have some ideas, thoughts or experience with this who can help me out?

Greetings,

Alicia Minnaard

10 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
13/06/2017 at 12:09

Hi there! Nice idea!

I have used my iron to make ldpe-bags shredable > here < (the red one) and ended with a durable and flexible thin sheet of plastic. It’s not exactly like leather but maybe you could give it a try!

Greetings Flo

starter
14/06/2017 at 09:47

Hoi Flo,
Nice idea! Thanks I surely would give that a try and see if i can make something wearable of it!

Greetings,

Alicia

dedicated
14/06/2017 at 16:13

Hi @a-minnaard,
At the precious plastic HQ we work with bags as well. Trying to fuse bags and use textile to give texture. Keep you updated if we have some good and shareable results.

dedicated
15/06/2017 at 10:02

Rice and Carry

Look at the product that Rice and Carry makes: fusing bags into sheets for proper bags, purses etc.

Attachments:
starter
19/06/2017 at 14:06

Hee Matthijs,
How cool! Maybe we can meet sometime, as I see that you’re also living in the Netherlands. And thanks I will keep you updated too!

Greetz,

Alicia

dedicated
22/06/2017 at 12:27

work done in PP HQ
Some examples. It does not look like plastic bags at all. Also the feeling is totally different

starter
07/08/2018 at 12:44

So graduated and well. A little update! There are still a lot of improvements to make but here are some photos of the collection

Attachments:
helper
08/08/2018 at 04:24

I love the little kids suit!!

how did you infuse the plastic in the end?

hope to buy in stores ASAP
keep it up!
Brendon

dedicated
09/08/2018 at 11:27

@a-minnaard
Amazing work, I am a big fan!
Would you say your products are ready for the market? Or would you say still in development?

M

starter
10/08/2018 at 14:15

@mattia-io and @brendonscrimgeour,
Thank you so much!! There are still some improvement to make. Unfortunately during my graduation I didn’t have that much time to improve the material, because of I had to made 15 meters of this plastic canvas to make a child suit, workwear suit and an anorak. After all I used an iron and a vaccumformer. To make meters you have to put a lot of pressure or you have to tighten it so the material will not get wrinkly or wavy. You don’t want that because you can’t cut the patterns straight with the material. I used only two and half layers of HDPE plastic bags to make it still flexible. With more layers it will be more firmly but it will not be flexible enough to move in. For now I want to do some research what the right temperatures are, because it still have to be firmly but at same time flexible and there is small border between totally melted away, right or still bubbly. The little kid played in the suit for two days and the last fashion show the pants didn’t survived. So lets try again and better. I’m also wondering if its possible to make a flexible sheet with other plastics as HDPE and LDPE? @thomasthefirst But first work this thing out, because I really like to see that people would love to wear them 🙂 O and I made sweaters out of old scaffolding nets- see picture!!

Attachments:
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.