We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic Sheet – Democratizing Reusable Writing

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sergio Marcano 3 months ago.

Sergio Marcano sergio-marcano

Plastic Sheet – Democratizing Reusable Writing

01/11/2017 at 23:42

Hello guys,

I am working on a project to create a plastic Notebook, there are “Industrial Strudders” that may work for this matter BUT.

What about doing it ourselves and democratizing the blueprints so many people can do it themselves. The need is huge, Billions have limited access to writing and writing is a waste of resources and ends up forgotten most of the time, what about if we do not waste the notebook and digitalize the content.

The objective:

To be able to create a plastic sheet as similar as possible to paper but water resistant and more durable.

1)Thickness matter, paper is the measure ( At least for now)

2) Brightness matters, the plastic type should be be as bright and not as “polished” if that can explain it?.. by this I mean it should be porous, as paper, there are organic plastic bags that would surely look closer to paper.

3) Color matters: It can look like recycled paper, but probably not as recicle plastic full of colors.

Who is in for building this machine all together and sharing the blueprints for the world ?

Attachments:
9 replies
3 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
02/11/2017 at 17:19

wow, such an incredible work. if i may give a suggest, may be you can try mix the plastic waste material with paper waste material, make it like paper porridge than press it and wait till dry. i have not try it with plastic waste, but it work with other material like fabric, dry leaves, etc. good luck! 🙂

starter
09/11/2017 at 17:38

There are books on the market that are mad from plastic currently. If you can find out what they are being made from you should have a clue as to what kind of materials will hold up to this kind of wear and tear.

Along with the development of plastic notebooks/composition books it would also be prudent to check and see what kinds of writing utensils would work best on the different materials, and how they would affect recycling the products later on. You would want to be sure that the writing implement isn’t contaminating the plastic so as to make it non-recyclable after use.

I think the qualities you would be looking for in a plastic would be: flexible, but with enough strength for not puncture easily or deform when under the pressure of the stylus. A white, satin finish polypropylene for example. It would have the benefit of being moderately chemically resistant meaning that the entire book could be shredded and treated with cleaners to remove certain inks/dyes from its surface when re-recycling.

Good luck in your en-devour!

starter
09/11/2017 at 18:03

dmccoy,

Thanks a lot for the comments.

I have tested the removable ink from pilot and it works great.
I spent hours yesterday in a huge plastic industry event in mexico city. the CaCo3 concentration have to be very high along with a small concentration of polipropilene (PP as you mentioned), so normal plastic sheets industrial production lines won’t work. I will try with 60% to 70% CaCO3 + 40% to 30% PP and learn what happens, then the sheet pieces for the precious plastic machines must be built 😀

Now it is time to play ourselves.

Thanks and I will keep posting the results.

new
04/12/2017 at 20:12

Hi!! I am in Mexico City and would like to help! Am looking for the local community here in the City to see what I can do. Where are you at?

dedicated
07/12/2017 at 18:16

I’ve tried to iron some plastic bags to get some kind of more rigid material, and the results are quite impressive. The look and feel of the plastic when not very thick, is very similar to paper, yet less easy to cut or to bend.

For me, reusable writing would be the possibility to write on a plastic sheet with some kind of ink and be able to erase it easily using water. recycling a sheet that is 99% clean and ready is, in my opinion a waste of time, resources and energy.

I am keen to see and hold an erasable plastic notebook for drafting, sketching, etc 🙂

starter
05/07/2018 at 14:23

For solutions for this problem have a look at Elfinbooks online. I am currently using one, and I love it. It has a printed border on each page for easier digitising and is cleaned after use with a damp cloth or the whole book goes in the microwave for a minute. You need to use a Frixion pen (the ink disappears if heated).
I will see if I can determine what type of plastic is used. The image is one page.

Attachments:
new
06/07/2018 at 21:27

I know there are a few recycled bottle books out there- one is called “cradle to cradle: remaking the way we make things”, maybe some research about their technique could help! I remember it was incredibly sturdy and water proof, great beach read 😉 good luck!

starter
06/07/2018 at 22:26

Thanks a lot, from the begining I found the everlast notebook, did some analysis and it is about 300 microns thick , it is impressive in terms of quality, I did lots of research, went to the biggest plastic machines event in Mexico, spend at least 16 hours walking talking, the less I found as a budget to get the machines was 800K USD.

In the journey, I meet an old Chinese man that invited me tea at the exposition, he sold all sorts of machinery for plastic items production he gave me an interesting story.

About a decade and a half ago the Chinese government hired the production of this type of plastic paper for important government documents, also for the special forces and divers with the objective of using unerasable ink. Only the government used this because it was very expensive.

According to his 30 years expertise in the plastic industry, the key is to use Polypropylene. and at least 70% CaCo3, most of the machines can’t handle this, but the mixer is the key. there is a plane cube that most be also build in order to create the sheet.

CaCo3 is cheap and sold in any construction place.

Beside this, software is key, we can write big data analytics software and machine learning to get the most out of this and command recognitions, also integrate the books with LMS (Learning Management Systems) to automatically upload things to specific modules.

Want to see this rolling some day. I will keep posting any new learnings. Just this post took al least 150 hours of work. Hope this helps the community ..

Love and respect guys and thanks for posting. See you soon.

starter
06/07/2018 at 22:29

Thanks a lot, from the begining I found the everlast notebook, did some analysis and it is about 300 microns thick , it is impressive in terms of quality, I did lots of research, went to the biggest plastic machines event in Mexico, spend at least 16 hours walking talking, the less I found as a budget to get the machines was 800K USD.

In the journey, I meet an old Chinese man that invited me tea at the exposition, he sold all sorts of machinery for plastic items production he gave me an interesting story.

About a decade and a half ago the Chinese government hired the production of this type of plastic paper for important government documents, also for the special forces and divers with the objective of using unerasable ink. Only the government used this because it was very expensive.

According to his 30 years expertise in the plastic industry, the key is to use Polypropylene. and at least 70% CaCo3, most of the machines can’t handle this, but the mixer is the key. there is a plane cube that most be also build in order to create the sheet.

CaCo3 is cheap and sold in any construction place.

Beside this, software is key, we can write big data analytics software and machine learning to get the most out of this and command recognitions, also integrate the books with LMS (Learning Management Systems) to automatically upload things to specific modules.

Want to see this rolling some day. I will keep posting any new learnings. Just this post took al least 150 hours of work. Hope this helps the community ..

Love and respect guys and thanks for posting. See you soon.
Thanks

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.