We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic Shredder in Vermont, USA

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  eric fenn 1 year ago.

Jim Shields jimshieldsvt

Plastic Shredder in Vermont, USA

27/03/2018 at 01:39

Shredder from South Burlington Vermont, USA

My students and I have built the shredder and injector. We are still working out some PID issues with the injector, but the shredder is working great. We have a very specific client. Our local waste management company can’t accept bottle lids (from plastic water and soda bottles, for example) since they are too small to be sorted by the all-in-one recycling separator. So we are using our school as a test case to see if we can remove bottle lids from the waste stream instead of having them go to the landfill. Because we are in a school and want the shredder to be both safe and educational (the bottle caps bounce around in the shredder and often fly out as students inquisitively peer into the hopper), one of the students designed this acrylic hopper to keep the lids in. Thanks for the great plans and we hope to continue building, recycling and learning!

5 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
3 likes
sort on date
new
26/09/2019 at 11:49

Will you be around today Jim?

Have you made a filament extruder by chance?

Eric

helper
25/06/2019 at 16:39

@jimshieldsvt Hey there! I am in VT as well. Would love to check out what you’ve built.

starter
28/03/2018 at 23:42

Did you have to convert the .DXF files to imperial measurement for your laser cut parts? I am having issues with that here in Montana.

starter
28/03/2018 at 15:44

Thanks for the feedback, Jegor. Yes, that is true, we have not yet installed a net to sort the unshredded caps or the pieces that are too big. That is part of the plan but not complete yet. Good idea to look on the forum for advice about the PID issues. Cheers! Jim

warrior
27/03/2018 at 07:23

@jimshieldsvt,

Hi there,
First, good plastic lid loading system, we might think of something like that.
Another thing, at the end of the video, the last bottle cap falls down when shredder is reversed and never comes up again. Does this mean you have no net installed underneath the shredder blades?
And about the PID problems, have you checked the forum for a possible solutions? Youtube also helps a lot btw.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪