We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Plastic Smoothie

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Agustin Flowalistik 7 months ago.

Agustin Flowalistik flowalistik

Plastic Smoothie

13/03/2018 at 11:07

Hi everyone!

My name is Agustin Flowalistik, and I want to share with you the Plastic Smoothie project.

I discovered Precious Plastic more than a year ago, and I always wanted to make my own recycled objects, but due to space and technical knowledge limitations, I didn’t have the chance to make anything similar until some months ago.

I 3D print a lot and I work at a solidarity FabLab called TecnoLab, which is part of La Rueca Asociación, a non-profit organization based in Madrid. We have a lot of PLA plastic waste, and I decided to do something with it instead of just throwing it in the garbage bin. The problem was the time, resources, and knowledge required to build a Precious Plastic machine. Because of those limitations, I decided to make the process and simple and affordable as possible, so I decided to use electrical appliances instead of super cool Precious Plastic machines. And it worked!

I used a kitchen blender, second-hand mini-oven, cheap wood panels, and a not so affordable laser cutting machine to develop this project, but the idea is to get rid of the laser cutting machine in Stage 2 in order to reduce the overall price. For now, I focused on making plastic panels and laser cutting them to make simple objects and products.

All the project is documented on the Instructables page you can find above, including images, BOM, and tips to avoid making the same silly mistakes I made during the last months! 😀

I want to invite all the Precious Plastic community to absorb any knowledge and be part of this project. Many people have already contributed to this project, including Patreon supporters, people that participate at TecnoLab La Rueca, my cat… It would be great to see some of you making some plastic smoothies!

Attachments:
5 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Plastic Smoothie

starter
13/03/2018 at 11:19

Here are some more pictures of the items are made. You can find the SVG files in the Instructables page, in case any of you wants to make your own spirographs or rockets!

Attachments:

warrior
13/03/2018 at 13:40

awesome! Your planning on making more with this technique or of to a new one?

starter
14/03/2018 at 10:39

We want to be really careful not to move to anything new until we know how to use/make with the current recycling process.

The next step will still use plastic panels, but we want to learn more about the available types of plastic.

We won’t move to silicone molds until we become plastic wizards!

dedicated
14/03/2018 at 12:27

Doesn’t the fumes from the plastic erode the laser head??? Wouldn’t you just use a cnc machine instead with a milling bit?

starter
15/03/2018 at 15:31

The laser head isn’t in direct contact with the plastic panel. We just need to clean the lens, but it releases fewer fumes than some kinds of wood we cut every day.

We don’t have a CNC machine, but it would be a great alternative, and I want to try it in the near future. We just happen to have a laser cutting machine at work! 😛

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.