We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Portable desktop injection machine

Tagged: 

This topic contains 141 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Stan 43 minutes ago.

Anonymous

Portable desktop injection machine

27/01/2019 at 19:48

Hey guys,
it was suppose to be an easy thing I thought but I spent then 3 full days on it at the end, lots of hours on the lathe, 1-2 hours welding and a little bit on the mill. I wanted the best result possible, tight tolerances, smooth plunge and an easy to extrude plastic with a flexible nozzle. (btw. I can’t recommend building this without lathe or mill, it really wants it accurate to get a smooth plunge).

In the next iteration I will try to have it spring loaded which is pretty difficult as I noticed.

here you go, full metal desktop injection (some part are hardened to maintain this nice blob sound in the barrel) :

141 replies
7 subscribers
7 saved
10 likes
sort on date
warrior
27/05/2019 at 20:28

I do have one each of the Chinese mini-lathes and mini-mills. A machinist would do the same head shaking watching me work them.

starter
27/05/2019 at 20:24

funny you, get at least a small lathe dude; there is little to nothing you can’t do without when it comes to plastic/injection. if not I weld you one in front of your garage or into your car. once you touch it, you will sleep right next to it, promised. a lathe is small scale i’d say; considering the hours i spent per week on it.

starter
16/05/2019 at 23:50

these are coming out great dude, i remember some time when i would have by this for no reason but for the colors, making little cute glass tables to hold my bong collection 🙂
btw. collection, i am still buried under crap but this goes soon into ‘best of PP, 2019’

starter
10/05/2019 at 20:15

@s2019, thank you soo much, we were pissing in our pants, my pancake supply is secured whilst my wife needs and wants her CNC skills upgraded, lol

warrior
10/05/2019 at 19:41

@pporg , Funny, I’ve gone through the “apply your technical skills to making a better composter” directive. I used a large plastic barrel on rollers, it had internal blades to stir the compost as you turned it…blah..blah…blah…rubbish. Too much work and it made the worms dizzy. My technical ego was crushed when my wife had me cut the bottom off of a large plastic (~75l) bin and set it in the corner of the garden. Now we just throw kitchen waste in, no shredding, put the lid on, the worms come up happily from the soil and do all the work. A few months later we move it to a new spot. So much for clever engineering.

@donald …Some of the better uses for CNC https://hackaday.com/2015/01/14/choctopus-chocolate-printer-x8/https://hackaday.com/2016/11/24/open-source-pancakes/ I think you can buy these off the shelf now…..Failed prints are not a problem

starter
10/05/2019 at 19:13

funny you, i think you mean half deadly ninja choco knifes to throw at others, shredder knifes as boomerang, why not 🙂

starter
10/05/2019 at 18:58

@s2019, my wife joined the workshop a few months ago and she seems to catch up slow but good on what we are actually doing 🙂 She told me recently to make something useful out of the v3 shredder: put a wheel or handle on it and shred kitchen waste to make compost for our garden.  Obviously stainless is pretty overkill but making one from PET or HDPE should be possible with the little arbor press you have done, no ? Larger pieces (side plates) could be done breaking them into puzzle pieces (interlocking) and glue or screw them together just. That aluminum folie mold technique you have there seems fully enough to make all parts of a plastic shredder, what you think, i dont see much trouble doing so .

starter
10/05/2019 at 01:47

@btmetz, yeah sorry! was stupid stuck with a v3 shredder, seeya tomorrow on this 🙂 that’s an awesome idea, looks possible to me, you have a link to ebay or something i can buy ?

starter
10/05/2019 at 00:54

insane great stuff Stan, congrats, really ! Did you considered post this on https://www.instructables.com/ ? All it takes are just a some pictures and little text! This page is pretty much the safest place I know for this kinda stuff.

warrior
09/05/2019 at 05:27

I took another try at a wooden mold for the injection machine. I have use for a large robust clip/clamp. I started with simple softwood pieces out of the bin. I took some care that the dimensions defining the part were accurate and that the edges were sharp (first image). I taped the interior surfaces with aluminum foil and used a bushing for the sprue (second image). When I injected it with HDPE (some of my wife’s plant pots) I clamped the sprue during cooldown, maintaining some internal pressure. The part shrank primarily in length and maintained some of the other dimensions (third image)

Attachments:
starter
06/05/2019 at 17:23

@btmetz, no, but the sunglass guys are around the corner 🙂 And yes, anything automatic coming out of PP in the desktop format would be great. Marlin and the like are great but the difficulty is to enable people adding or changing parts to the system without much programming. I wrote an visual editor one day where you drag ‘commands’ (ssh, serial, udp, arduino direct, printers, …) on visual objects like buttons and so on and the export the thing as web-app, more likely a touchscreen running off an RaspberryPI. If you like, you join this efforts in another topic (‘automatic desktop injection’), this days ..

starter
06/05/2019 at 14:58

@s2019, yes, keep going! This looks near perfect to me; apparently this could go into the library, if you don’t mind to open another topic ‘arbor mini injection’, we could start making drawings when there are enough detailed pictures, instructions as well component selection in a way others can reproduce this; as well making a commercial version, ready to be build by builders for the bazar.

warrior
06/05/2019 at 12:09

pporg, are you the guy doing the sunglasses in Spain from the videos?   Andrei told me he met the sunglasses guy the other day.

I been looking at that arbor press design although at the moment no budget to experiment aside from CAD drawings on it.

I have also been looking at the automated molder someone posted a video of.

Seriously considering that as my next line of building after the polyester fiber factory is built.

I am thinking a great product to make for the local market with the automated injection molder is buttons.  The kind for shirts and pants.

Seeing as the injection molder can be made with Arduino/Ramps/Marlin firmware as the controller, a couple SSR to run the heater bands and I found some small compression screws for 100usd (with barrel)  that will be the next project I hope to kick off here.

starter
26/03/2019 at 23:24

yup, we’re started right now 2 small scale sets for 2 clients in the field as pilot projects. as often those guys don’t know actually what they want nor what to do with the machines. many come up with the idea to let the kids bring plastic and currently I have to push them back already from their idea to recycle PET bottles (fume, hard to recycle,…), makes me headaches because apart from shopping bags there isn’t much left the kids could bring from home. Shampoo or ‘fairy’ bottles  are pretty hard and would exceed the machine limits (2Kw) and also may require dangerous pre-cutting. Ultrasonic cutters come to mind but a nightmare in the class room 🙂

more or less that are the 2 major tasks to solve with or for them : the missing PP manuals (there’s lots to do, localized) and the actual workshop plan. the machines are more less clear to me now : for people from 1.30 – 1.70 meter high with little muscles and complete enclosures, water prove, and a door for the shredder as well all the measures we’ve mentioned recently.

I could of course just ‘send it’ but I’d love to work this out.  There are some similar activities I came along on instagram but i have the feeling all this is at the very beginning. i don’t see much educational value in 1. shred some plastic and 2. inject a pre-made mold and send the kids back home with a spinner ..

way to go.
g

warrior
26/03/2019 at 19:15

These really look great. From some of the other threads, it looks like there is an educational institution demand that these would be ideal for. I hope that works out.

new
07/03/2019 at 21:28

@xxxolivierxxx, @davehakkens

for some reason the PP team again deleted endless hours of our work here. I fully understand they don’t like certain questions but this goes a little far, isn’t ?

However, we gonna re-upload all, thanks for wasting our time like this.

new
16/02/2019 at 21:33

yeah, I could easily need a whole set of these. I am so messy sometimes that I search the whole house for a particular mallet/hammer…
using the injection as regular press: fantastic, you’re right. we call this in germany as “can’t see the tree because of soo much forest” 🙂

and yep, larger volumes are getting quickly a problem. i am still in the trial phase but it turns out that my 2 Nema-34 steppers (1600 oz) need a very specific leadscrew and a transmission to max this out. doing this with custom made parts on the lathe & mill isn’t much a big deal, but reproducing this with common available parts yes 🙂 possibly i better open another thread, looks like a black hole to me these little injections. my idea about was there at least one full-automatic machine available to PP users, below 1K, printing $$ non-stop. there is enough market. btw. there is a larger cooperation here in europe and elsewhere i think who bought all major and small producers and now they do price fixing. I had recently a catalog of small plastic parts (bricolage stuff) and I was shocked how expensive this small stuff actually is. anyway, soon more about 🙂
g

warrior
16/02/2019 at 21:10

I love that mallet. I made some larger stock in the past using the oven, tube, and C-clamp approach. They came out OK but took a long time and I got dirty looks for using the kitchen oven. I think there is an option of using the injection machine actuation to compress a mold heated with cartridge mold heaters. I’ll have to try that in the future.

Good luck with your new build. I wonder if a larger volume, lower pressure pre-melt stage could handle the V3 flakes. An arduino could synchronize the transfer to the injection stage.

new
09/02/2019 at 03:25

calculator: i did, i am so lazy and just wanna mess around 🙂
did you know this video. it’s plastic color g*ng b*ang o*gie

new
08/02/2019 at 21:56

@btmetz, great. I am afraid i just understood the first half only of what you said, btw. your keyboard’s enter key seems jamming often 🙂 Anyway, i am looking into it this weekend.

@s2019, awesome work again ! this looks really promising so i went ahead with the screw idea : M20 acme rod and thread and bad a** hand wheel, it pushed PLA effortless through 25 mm tubing – almost on it’s on own since the handwheel was more of a flywheel. unfortunately my rushed welds were too bad so the thing broke apart the last part but it was enough to fill a flat cylinder. i gonna build this bigger and better this weekend. To me it seems this is a serious candidate to replace the plunger and even the arbor press driven injection, for larger things at least 🙂 I just need to kick the handwheel gently only and this thing keeps spinning whilst extruding, lovely.I turned also trapezoidal a screw now my self on the lathe, 25 mm diameter with a optimistic pitch to speed things up. I guess I will make the nut in plastic as well (Delrin again).

g

new
07/02/2019 at 02:09

hey btmetz,
no, i didn’t but thanks for the hint and link, looks really neat and tempting, but managing this spring over there seems a little overkill, no ? i also afraid that anything ‘sophisticated’ like this doesn’t justify the involved on part work anymore. i could easily get lost full 2 weeks on it 🙂

new
06/02/2019 at 23:40

thanks,
let’s see how well it does, i have the slight fear that the transmission needs an extra gear…
apart from that, it’s was 3 days full-time work in a row, lots of mistakes done but the next one is pretty stream lined and cheaper to build for sure 🙂 So there will be 4 heatbands (one inside the bar), a 300 Watts,  on the nozzle, 6 cm ID, on a brass sleeve going on our standard 35 mm).

i think this can be all done with basic tools: drill press, welder and angle grinder, if you’re good with hands, i won’t be that accurate as the lathe, cnc but good enough.

anyways, 150 Euro in materials, consumables and electricity, not too bad, 33kg steal.

seeya around soon, just ordered plaster and a shit load of expoxy 🙂
g

new
06/02/2019 at 20:25

thanks @s2019 ! … i am waiting for the barrel and a stronger trapezoidal screw; could be done via a larger vise as well

Here the arbor press again, I just finished some basic tests and weld it together,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MupFKqRPajI

back in short,
g

new
05/02/2019 at 02:17

thanks,
what about pushing via hand wheeled an acme screw, M24 or so, through a tube into this extra cooled mold ? this could do job for this little size though.
will come back to rest in a while 🙂

new
04/02/2019 at 22:46

yeah,
i just finished our own arbor press’s housing (see left). as often I bought too big; the rack is module – 3 (3cm x 3cm x 50 cm long) and the gear was 40 Euro only, I hope i get a good and flexible connection to an extendable plunger. this all has to fit in a hydraulic press like frame, a little tricky. i will weld a disc on the shaft to place some solid bars to make large hand wheel, 60 cm diameter or so. no idea how much power this gives yet but should be still way stronger than anything else i had 🙂

about the molds again, i could finally finish the first shapes : cylinder & hexagon in one cylinder (see right). i gave up on the piston, it caused to much friction and the plastic got it all badly. i still don’t know about the cap and clamp but i think i will go for 2 quick clamps which hold the upper cap (mold entry = M20 nut) on the cylinder. there is a little M10 thread on the bottom of each mold. i hope it acts as an ejector without too much damage. i also went for thinner walls, in hope it’s cooling down faster 🙂

soon more, I have to catch up with all your recent thoughts (expoxy, plaster,…)
see you in a bit
g

new
04/02/2019 at 00:17

amazing! gives me another idea on how to have a height adjustable plate to place the mold under the nozzle. pilling up a some extruded cylinders connected via shoulders or ACME rods, should do the job.
about the abor press again, there are 50CM long hydraulic cylinders (5T, car jack section) on Amazon, for peanuts. Only problem with them is that it takes ages to expand them. i saw a guy who made hacks on a habor freight press (20T, 150$) via air-compressor. looked quick promising. alternative is a module rack & pinion based press but you need to build a special housing (i just did) and something to extend the rack for the plunger (updates about soon in another thread).

warrior
03/02/2019 at 23:55

Just for fun, This is what the small annular cavity fill part (right side) looks like with a little clean up.

Attachments:
warrior
03/02/2019 at 23:17

Yes, these were done with the setup I showed at the beginning of the thread. I used a small arbor press (1/2 ton) just because I had it. The next size up (1 ton) is still very cheap and manageable in size and weight but has a longer stroke. I may upgrade at some point to get the extra volume. I still think, with a little bit of cleverness, one could (in the US) build this for around $100 using a saw and a drill press (hand drill with great care).

new
03/02/2019 at 23:05

i just realized you’ve posted whilst i was typing. regarding your last test, yes you could try preheat all in a small oven and fill the barrel (much easier). the results with plastic bags and bottle caps are much better and faster 🙂
g

new
03/02/2019 at 23:03

dude, i am blown away! that’s pretty much the best thing i’ve seen here since long. congrats ! really, i copy & paste this here, even though finding a plastic shell at the beach may be quite an awkward moment 🙂

so from what i learned, people could do this with some basic tools (did you this with your abor press hack?). all what’s needed is some press (ACME & Cylinder), an oven and basic shapes which serve as mold enforced containment. congrats, you’ve made my day.
see you in a bit, let me try this as next after i managed to have piston like base mold, followed by an adjustable rectangle mold 🙂
g

Viewing 30 replies - 91 through 120 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.