We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Portable desktop injection machine

Tagged: 

This topic contains 129 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Stan 1 week ago.

Anonymous

Portable desktop injection machine

27/01/2019 at 19:48

Hey guys,
it was suppose to be an easy thing I thought but I spent then 3 full days on it at the end, lots of hours on the lathe, 1-2 hours welding and a little bit on the mill. I wanted the best result possible, tight tolerances, smooth plunge and an easy to extrude plastic with a flexible nozzle. (btw. I can’t recommend building this without lathe or mill, it really wants it accurate to get a smooth plunge).

In the next iteration I will try to have it spring loaded which is pretty difficult as I noticed.

here you go, full metal desktop injection (some part are hardened to maintain this nice blob sound in the barrel) :

129 replies
6 subscribers
7 saved
10 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
27/05/2019 at 20:37

@pporg @s2019

I have both, but they don’t seem to want to get out of their boxes :-/

new
27/05/2019 at 21:00

oh dear, i said LATHE, not toy. if you add ‘Chinese’ in front, it’s not a lathe! even old tony can’t fix this #$%@#$%, nor does Chuk2009; anyway, gotcha,  was just trying to get most & best of out you 🙂

dedicated
27/05/2019 at 21:02

Let them out of their boxes, they will each dig a really good rabbithole for any spare time (and some cash) you may have.

dedicated
27/05/2019 at 21:26

@pporg , not sure what you mean. When I chuck up a bar of HDPE, I can take the same cut This Old Tony takes in stainless.

dedicated
31/05/2019 at 05:52

A few days ago I mentioned frivolous decorations. Well every patio needs to be protected. Though we like the European gargoyles as solution, these work as well.

So I needed a secure way of mounting each Tiki lamp. The first image shows the “kit”. An internal plug (HDPE – milk jugs) clamps the ceramic lamp to the base. The base (HDPE- plant pots) also adds a bottom clip that clamps it onto the pergola beam. The image also shows the simple molds that provide the geometries. The base clip itself was made in the wooden mold as previously. The mold is holding up well with repeated use

The second image shows it mounted in position. With a solar/LED cap, it is on duty day and night.

While this is successful, it does take quite a bit of time to go through the steps to get to finished parts. I think anyone planning a sustainable work space should consider the throughput that they can achieve.

Attachments:
dedicated
04/06/2019 at 22:28

So you spend all this time tinkering with that plastic melting gadget in the garage, your spouse looks in every once in a while and just shakes their head..What do you do to salvage some legitimacy to your activities……

Fix something of theirs! (some free gray-haired wisdom here)

This was an otherwise nice cast iron plant stand that was a bit rusty and had a busted wheel. Well, a little spray paint and that clever threaded knob made in the wooden mold in the Feb 10 post, and I achieved temporary hero status. Since we don’t take our plants for walks, the wheel function was less important.

The nice thing about using recycled plastics to make replacement/repair parts is there is no concern about plastic costs so you can make them robust. I’m guessing this solid HDPE part will hold up well, If not, I can make a bigger one.

Attachments:
warrior
04/06/2019 at 22:35

@s2019

I’m guessing this solid HDPE part will hold up well, If not, I can make a bigger one.

in the end replacing the whole thing 🙂

Nice work!

new
08/06/2019 at 12:00

Hi All,

I have been thinking of ways to get rid of the need of cnc milling machines in the mold making process. Mold making is always the difficult of part of IM and expensive.

Look at this article: it may be helpful. https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/3d-printing-low-run-injection-molds#why

If you use conformal cooling channels connected to a water source like a tap you could get some interesting results. You should be able to cool the mold down enough to do 100 of units. If you could get a desktop extrusion printer to print molds it would be a powerful tool to increasing product development and outputs.

let me know what you think!

dedicated
08/06/2019 at 17:06

Thank you for the great link. Making a temperature resistant mold in the DIY environment/budget is a challenge. I’m planning some more trials with the plaster technique. That may be a way to bridge to 3D prints.

I think my favorite high temperature 3d print application is the guys 3d printing molds out of sand for casting engine blocks.

Viewing 9 replies - 121 through 129 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.