We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

PotClau, a new product to inject

Tagged: 

• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by ZsaZsa.
Esferica talleresferica

PotClau, a new product to inject

04/10/2016 at 13:53

Hello everyone!

From Taller Esfèrica we wanted to share our new product that can be built with the injection machine. It is pot-keychain where you can keep small things that might get lost.

We needed a small product that lots of people in a festival, event or workshop, could inject easily using the plastic waste generated in the event and take it home. That is why we designed this product.

The cap we use to close the pot is an existing one from milk or juices. There is no need to make a new mold for a new cap when there are plenty in our surroundings :). This way, our product has a bit of reuse and a bit of recycle!

The walls of the pot are 2mm thick. We made the leaver longer and reinforced the machine and we have managed to inject the pot with PP and LDHP because of its high melting flow rate.

Here you can see more images: http://www.talleresferica.com/ca/productes/

(click on the GIF)

Attachments:
17 replies
2 subscribers
2 saved
4 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
06/10/2016 at 06:04

wow that looks REALLY good! Love to see you guys are continuing and focussing on what to make with the machine. Nice detail to use the cap 🙂
How did you make the mold, CNC?

starter
06/10/2016 at 10:04

Hi there!

Yes, the mold was made using a cnc machine. We are now looking into alternatives to be able to have super cheap, easily recyclable molds, but it isn’t easy.

In the long run we are aiming at creating a service for waste management where inhabitants of a neighborhood are mico waste managers, dealing with certain elements of their home plastic waste, by bringing them into the facility where they can transform it into a shiny new product. This way, we will be creating smaller waste management loops, not relying on huge waste management systems that deal with far too much material to be able to do it properly. Imagine every neighborhood in every city having a facility like this…over the time this service could have a big impact, avoiding burning or burying plastics, and educating. And not just for plastic but for other materials too, with time. Would that make sense? Energetically, economically and socially? Well, we are looking into it!

warrior
06/10/2016 at 12:28

Really amazing guys..
Thanks for feeding back your knowledge to the community.
We’re ourselves working on making it easier to create moulds and products with the machines.

Would have some pics of the mould?
Would you be up for sharing the file too so more members from the community could benefit from your great R&D?

Keep it up!
Mattia

starter
10/10/2016 at 11:36

Hi Mattia

Here I attach you the technical drawings and STEP files of the mold we designed. As you can see, the dimensions are not round numbers. This is because we scaled the mold up to avoid contractions in the final pieces when the plastic cools (it needed to fit perfectly with the reused cap).

The mold seals hermetically with the nozzle of our machine with a conic shape.

By the way, the cap we use is standard in Spain, but we don’t know if exists in other countries. It would be nice to know!

I hope you find this information helpful, and if you need anything else let us know!

warrior
10/10/2016 at 12:51

That’s nice work! Did you have to heat the mould to inject it successfully, or were you able to do it cold?

starter
11/10/2016 at 09:28

It works fine without heating the mould, but after having injected a few, the moluld gets very hot for being in contact with the hot plastic and the nozzle. Then it works even better.

starter
14/10/2016 at 00:11

That’s excellent work, and a really neat product. Interesting to see your mould too, thanks for sharing!

B.

warrior
14/10/2016 at 23:46

thanks for sharing those files here. Your mould is just awesome, i’m jealous!

starter
09/03/2017 at 23:04

Nice! We really like this! How can we get our hands on a few of these? We can’t describe how inspiring this is using words, unfortunately, but lets say we really really like this 😀 Some day we will be making stuff like this ourselves, but until then we just want to support everyone who already does. Please get in touch, and thanks for sharing!

/ Grisworks crew

starter
15/03/2017 at 15:20

Hi Grisworks! Thanks for the kind words, we really hope you start creating products like these soon! You can contact us at [email protected]

helper
18/04/2017 at 17:03

¡Gracias por compartir!

helper
12/06/2017 at 18:36

really cool! congrats 😀

starter
16/06/2017 at 19:59

Creative, functional, beautiful, clip-, ring- or lanyard-adaptable, … awesome work! With that capping system, are they waterproof, too? I bet they float. I can think of a hundred things I would put in this, and similar containers of varying sizes, for camping, hiking, picnicking, trips with kids, trips WITHOUT the kids… hm… two thumbs up and a high five!!

helper
29/06/2017 at 04:18

I’m having trouble figuring out how it becomes a canister. I can’t open the .rar file on mobile. Apologies if it shows more detail that I can’t see. Is there any other info you can offer for recreating? PDF works, not sure if you can transfer the file over.

warrior
29/06/2017 at 12:36

@toochi84

it’s a 3-part mould, there’s a screw in core plug that goes in the threaded part at the bottom (sprue is pictured at the top). The core is not shown. Clever.

helper
29/06/2017 at 14:11

I see now. I had assumed the threaded part screwed onto the injector and the hole at the top was for air escape. Decently expandable into larger units, once the mold is made your all set. 🙂

helper
01/05/2020 at 22:27

Yes, it absolutely makes sense. I love the name micro managing 🙂
Actually this a project that I am working on my self. And yes, it would be lovely. because those huge companies wasting so many energy in their recycle process, and also including transporting, they actually mostly transport air.
When it comes for action, can you imagine the amount of water and toxic detergents they have to use, to clean domestic waste?
Nice piece as well  what you created, and I never thought Dave can be jealous haha. He is a genius himself 🙂

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪