We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Precious Plastic France

This topic contains 43 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Nicolas 1 month ago.

Nicolas imuh

Precious Plastic France

18/05/2018 at 16:48

Hello everyone; first of all sorry for the re-post of some of the photos you will see on this thread; indeed i have been poking here & there putting some photos & designs, but hadn’t created a “real” thread yet; Here it goes !

It has now been a bit more than a month now that my crew (i own a business in events organization since many years) and myself have started thinking hard on what we could do with plastic waste. The first axe we explored was the plastic differenciation. We emptied all the trashbags that were ready to be picked up and sorted the plastic trash by type in seperated boxes (which are made out of PS…)

(EDIT : Photo uploads NOT WORKING)  :((
(EDIT EDIT : Photo uploads WORKS AGAIN, YAAAY !! )

Attachments:
43 replies
8 subscribers
2 saved
11 likes
sort on most likes
starter
12/11/2018 at 16:03

That is a HUGE help thank you!! I will share more progress!!

warrior
12/11/2018 at 16:09

and here is a little update of our planters’ (made out of recycled plastic obviously :p) production 😀

Attachments:
warrior
29/11/2018 at 18:41

a couple weeks went by and we continued ou tests !

we reinforced the hexa, 2/3 hexa & triangle moulds with a metal sheet and have build a new (& reinforced) version of our compression chamber (also added a little element which helps us perfectly & easily center the mould in the compression system)

Attachments:
warrior
29/11/2018 at 18:44

photos of upgraded moulds & products output (we mainly use LDPE at the moment)

Attachments:
warrior
29/11/2018 at 18:45

looks like the möbius sign; so many possibilities !

Attachments:
warrior
29/11/2018 at 18:46

last but not least (for today :p)

we started testing fusing different LDPE products together, using a heat gun

Results are VERY satisfying !!

Attachments:
warrior
09/01/2019 at 17:14

We had the pleasure to greet Adèle from PreciousPlastic Shanghai couple days ago; a lot of intel sharing; and she gave us the inspiration for the making of this stool !

The wooden legs are just “planted” in the melted plastic as soon as taken out of the oven, then let to solidify by cooling. Unmoulding is super easy because of the dish being teflon-coated and polyethylene warping quite while cooling down.

(Plastic used is polyethylene; LDPE pallet wrap & HDPE bottle caps)

Attachments:
warrior
09/01/2019 at 17:21

We then found a hallow square tube; we used it as a mould and process is following;

Put in teflon coated dish to melt.

Once melted, take dish out (work with triple layer gloves) and make a ball out of the melted plastic;
Twist it, it will start getting pulled by gravity quite quickly;
Aim for the mould and fill it
Put aside to cool/solidify
Mould being cold + warping of LDPE make unmoulding VERY easy

Used the result product as a foot for our stool; technique to connect different elements is only fusion by heat, with a heatgun.

100%recycled LDPE

Attachments:
starter
16/02/2019 at 11:17

Good day! Im from the Philippines and I’am currently doing my thesis project same as yours. Thank you for publishing your work it would help me a lot in doing my own compression machine. By any chance, have you done or do you have an Experimental Design for the tests you’ve done so far? Thanks!

warrior
18/02/2019 at 18:05

Great work @ imuh… rad to see so much coming from LDPE

starter
11/03/2019 at 04:09

Wouhaaa cool work @imuh ! I’m super impressed by the heatgun fusion method it look great. But is it resistant enough for a everyday use ?

warrior
16/03/2019 at 17:31

@macq
Just used the bench+table nonstop during a full week; nothing moved !

warrior
16/04/2019 at 15:33

Hello everyone !
Sorry for the long time since i have given you guys an update on what’s going on on our side ^^

So after having experimented manual extrusion we realized that we could explore a bit the couloring side recycling.

The main plastic product we use is pallet wrap, which is LDPE and can be transparent or black. The transparency is due to lack of pigmentation (and thickness being very small), it becomes white once melted (and therefore much more thick as when it was just a sheet)
Understanding that principle we started adding bottle caps to the process. Once all is melted, you can “easily”(need heat-resistant gloves though) mix it with your hands. The more you will mix and the more the colour will be homogeneously blended. The more you add coloured caps (of the same colour), the darker your color will be, the less the brighter. You can also mix colours as you would with paint. I managed to create a nice homogeneous purple mixing red and blue together ! 😀
The first problem you may encouter while trying out that process is that the plastic will stick to your gloves. You should wait a little bit for it too cool down (right before mixing) so that the most exterior layers of the melted plastic is already hardened and therefore not sticky.

Then lastly with help of Clemence which i met through PP map (thank uuu!) we tried out silicone moulds;
Why silicone ? Isn’t it going to melt ? No ! If you read the PP Manual in the kit, you should know that there are 2 big families of plastics; thermoplastics (which melt at right temperature), and thermosets which can only take shape once. The temperature of melted plastic won’t affect it ! So idea is the following :
Create an item (sculpture, 3Dprint) or just any type of objects :p
Take the impression of it with silicone
Create a casing
Ready to use as a mould !

Here is a little rhino we made 😀

Our extrusion machine is almost ready, just need to find someone to help out with the last electrical & electronics parts 🙁

Cheers !

ps : i am sorry for the name of the original post, i didn’t know at that time that other french projects were launched; so it’s PP Sartrouville 😀
u can check us out of FB or insta

Attachments:
Viewing 13 replies - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.