We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Precious Plastic Sartrouville

This topic contains 46 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Donald Hugens 1 month ago.

Nicolas imuh

Precious Plastic Sartrouville

18/05/2018 at 16:48

Hello everyone; first of all sorry for the re-post of some of the photos you will see on this thread; indeed i have been poking here & there putting some photos & designs, but hadn’t created a “real” thread yet; Here it goes !

It has now been a bit more than a month now that my crew (i own a business in events organization since many years) and myself have started thinking hard on what we could do with plastic waste. The first axe we explored was the plastic differenciation. We emptied all the trashbags that were ready to be picked up and sorted the plastic trash by type in seperated boxes (which are made out of PS…)

(EDIT : Photo uploads NOT WORKING)  :((
(EDIT EDIT : Photo uploads WORKS AGAIN, YAAAY !! )

Attachments:
46 replies
10 subscribers
5 saved
13 likes
sort on date
starter
01/06/2018 at 10:32

Amazinggg. Sir I’m a new member here and I would like to know more about how things related to plastics work so I have a few questions about melting of plastics.

First, does melting PS and PET alright to health? ( Cuz I read articles in the internet that when a PET and PS is melted or burned, it produces toxic fumes that can be dangerous to health)

Second, it is ok to melt any kind of plastic (soft/hard, thin/thick) as long as it is group to its similar type (PET,LDPE,HDPE, etc)?

Third, what are the things I should consider when I melt plastics?

Thank you for your reply in advance :). sorry if I have many question I just want to make sure that I’ll do the right process 🙂

warrior
25/05/2018 at 15:40

Hello everyone !
We tried today to use some of the PS Cristal (the ambercoloured) Hexagones to transform in a lamp !

The differents hexas are connected together with fin striped of ironed LLDPE, used as some string, that we made go through drilled holes (funny how the drill melts through the plastic, i also tried drilling some PET i moulded, but drill didn’t go through :o)

I am thinking of an other version which would have a top (or bottom depending on how you look at it ! will keep you posted !

Attachments:
warrior
18/05/2018 at 16:50

At the same time we started to work on LLDPE from Pallet Wrap ; the technique used was similar to the bag-fusing technique but has the awesome advantage of not needing to do any sewing ; everything is done with the help of an iron & baking paper. We managed to VERY easily create simple BUT resistant bags which replaced our PS sorting boxes.

Expanding that idea, we created backpacks and other types of bags that we use on a daily basis (to go shopping, or pick up litter while walking dog) and made a Precious Plastic Flag using Pallet Wrap & TrashBags

Attachments:
warrior
28/05/2019 at 11:04

@imuh

Very inspirational topic.

I think everybody starting (including me) would do well to start working without the machines like you did, if only to get to know the materials (plastics) better.

You should rename this topic ‘So you want to start recycling plastics’ 😉

It’s basically a tutorial with some very usefull tips and information.

Thank you for sharing.

warrior
16/03/2019 at 17:31

@macq
Just used the bench+table nonstop during a full week; nothing moved !

warrior
18/02/2019 at 18:05

Great work @ imuh… rad to see so much coming from LDPE

warrior
29/11/2018 at 18:45

looks like the möbius sign; so many possibilities !

Attachments:
starter
12/11/2018 at 16:03

That is a HUGE help thank you!! I will share more progress!!

starter
04/06/2018 at 15:26

Good day!
Sir, I’m planning to build an extrusion machine with molder. is it practical or ok to use PET bottle as my input? or should i use injection machine? TIA 🙂

starter
02/06/2018 at 17:11

oh that’s so creativeee. yes I would like to see more photos of your machines and works 🙂 thank you for answering my questions. hope we make a change in the world by recycling. thank you again.

helper
30/05/2018 at 13:55

@imuh Wow man your are making some real progress there. Curious to see where this is going. Keep us posted!

dedicated
29/05/2018 at 01:10

lamp looks beautiful!!

what are the dimensions of your hex shapes?
and for the LDPE bags you melted down, what temperature did you heat them to?

thanks =)

starter
11/03/2019 at 04:09

Wouhaaa cool work @imuh ! I’m super impressed by the heatgun fusion method it look great. But is it resistant enough for a everyday use ?

starter
16/02/2019 at 11:17

Good day! Im from the Philippines and I’am currently doing my thesis project same as yours. Thank you for publishing your work it would help me a lot in doing my own compression machine. By any chance, have you done or do you have an Experimental Design for the tests you’ve done so far? Thanks!

warrior
29/11/2018 at 18:44

photos of upgraded moulds & products output (we mainly use LDPE at the moment)

Attachments:
starter
12/11/2018 at 11:08

Hi, I love following your work. Are you bale to share with me the dimensions of the mould for the bowl? I have downloaded the .dwg files from PP but I cannot see the dimensions.

Viewing 16 replies - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.