We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

This topic contains 105 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Chris V 2 years ago.

TomasHalberstad tomashalberstad

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

22/10/2015 at 10:30

For this step, then, we want to see how you envision the Precious Plastic logo looking. We want you to take inspiration from what we’ve summarized in this post. Also we’ve got some points of inspiration of our own that we want you to keep in mind:

connectedness – network – recycle – empowerment – inclusiveness – cycle – upcycle – people – cross cultural cooperation – hope – positivity – freshness of ideas and ideals – contemporary look&feel – open-source – DIY – plastic as a resource – waste as an empowering tool – valuable – new priorities from the people – tackling problems we’ve created first person – new direction – precious – new priorities

Get going and show us those logos! Preferably with a short explanation on your thinking.

Attachments:
105 replies
6 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
04/11/2015 at 17:32

This is great, I love it. 2nd one is really good, it is simple and very effective.

warrior
04/11/2015 at 18:59

Really like the second one as well @mattia-io! Has a little bit of positive activism in it.

starter
04/11/2015 at 20:12

Hi there,

I would not use a plastic bag because for me, it is something what is produced to be waste and lying around everywhere. It’s nothing what is make of recycled plastic or is recycled after used. In my opinion it also didn’t look like we use the bag to create something new or something like that…, it just looks like we have no Idea what to do with it.

On the other hand I see the Point of show the people about the problem of the plastic waste but I would show that there is an Idea/ a way what to do with it as I said before.

By the way, I also prefer the 2nd flag 😀

bikaro

starter
04/11/2015 at 21:23

We don’t want people to use plastic bags. Plastic bags are inherently ephemeral, and part of the problem. Even if you have a recycled one. Personifying the plastic bag, why would it be happy to be caught or flagged on a pole?

If it was blowing in the wind and someone cared for it, maybe.

To answer your question, a heart is the first connotation I get to the word precious. “<3 PP” A concept more easily tangible in symmetrical form.

You already communicate plastic by virtue of selling/dealing in a product that is by itself plastic.

starter
04/11/2015 at 21:29

I see one P (because I know) and plastic (which I would know) and the face. Good combo-elements for a logo.

However for me it conjures images of surrender, or flying the flag of the plastic bag, which is a bit contrary to the aim of recycling.

As flags are authoritarian, it could mean to be governed by the rule of plastic bag, which is the problem of the world.

If you make it a bit more 1984-esque, it serves well as a representation of the “opposing force” we are faced with.

Font used (for illustrative purposes) 1984 by Adam Hansel / deadvolt.

Other slogans are “sustain growth” “buy more” and “throw away”

Attachments:
helper
04/11/2015 at 22:06

Hey! About this concept… Mmmmm, I personally think That is too “cold” or abstract to Represent Precious Plastic, as it is a product made ​​for and by people it should be closer to this people. Moreover it makes me think about the new NASA’s Flag of the earth.

Attachments:
helper
04/11/2015 at 22:15

Hi again! I’m sorry to write all in different conversations, I don’t any other way haha. Well, I actually gave my opinion about the first concept, and it’s the practically the same with the second one (of the P).

I love this one, the third, because I think it’s less (almost nothing) abstract. More human, more about the power of people (I miss a raised fist there, I don’t know why).

Now we have the human component, so we only need to show in the logo how it can change a plastic bag into something new and desirable.

My english is really poor as it’s not my first language. If you aren’t able to understand something just tell me, cause I wrote everything very fast hahaha

Best, Marta

P.S.: This weekend I’ll have more time to think about this and maybe draw something to help

starter
05/11/2015 at 00:49

Hi,
another point I just thought about was how the logo will be presented. So only as Picture on websites or printed or also like an engraving in something like plastic chips made with recycled plastic(like on the picture (dont look on the logo on it)) or also the recycling machines…. Because if you want to make an engraving it should be simple forms and not something complicate with many different colours and so on.

Sorry if this would more fit in the last step but just thought about it now.

bikaro

background texture source: http://www.thematrixer.com/texturenstart.php (Just love this textures :D)

Attachments:
warrior
05/11/2015 at 10:23

..Sort of residual post-apocalyptic scenario with people empowered by the cause of their failure..People waving they’re only way through the mess..
Bit inspired by this guy 🙂

warrior
05/11/2015 at 11:52

Hey @kingu,

I had no intention to create a letter P in the first place, but now that you said it can also hint at a letter P. Also I was not trying to create a smiley face in the flag, unintentional..

It shouldn’t be understood as a surrender image but as a frank, clever act of reverse engineering. Plastic bags are there to stay, we might as well embrace them and make them our force. Refusing to accept them will just protract the lie. I don’t think it screams “let’s use more bags”, on the contrary it screams “Your thrown away bags are our power!”

The symbol of a community that analyses the problems of its surroundings, accepts them and uses them in their favour. I don’t think the logo invites people to use plastic bags, it kind of hints at a community following that flag made from one of the billions plastic bags flying around.

*I think is important to state that we are not trying to stop people from using plastic (even though it would be great, this is some else’s job) we are trying to make good use of all the plastic already used spread around the world.

Maybe rephrase your sentence to:
“As flags are authoritarian, it could mean to be governed by the rule of reused plastic bag..”

Thanks for your feed back!

warrior
05/11/2015 at 12:22

Thanks @johnp glad you like it!

Any idea on how to improve it??

warrior
05/11/2015 at 12:35

Thanks @bikaro!!

The bag is a symbol. Revolutions needs symbols and simple, memorable identifiable visual references (hammer and sickle, cuban fist, etc..). It’s meaning can be abstracted and used accordingly depending on the context.
I think the plastic bag is powerful in the sense that everyone can refer to it and everyone understand the implicit problems it causes.

I’ll try other options as I have some time..

Thanks for feed back!

warrior
05/11/2015 at 12:41

hey @gujonon,

your english is good enough to get the concept across. Thanks for your input.

“..so we only need to show in the logo how it can change a plastic bag into something new and desirable.”

Or

“..so we only need to show in the logo how it can kill a plastic bag”

This made me think if a plastic bag hit by an arrow (robin hoodlike)…maybe??
Figuratively representing man defeating its demons..

Attachments:
helper
05/11/2015 at 14:36

Really nice @mattia-io

Your arrow also made me imagine the conquest of a rubbish mountain, with the bag-flag on the top

starter
05/11/2015 at 15:45

No, I don’t accept that, and I never will. I deal in rationality.

Plastic bags are environmentally hazardous, they contain endocrine disruptors, they kill marine life, and children. The list goes on.

Your bag is no more recyclable than plastic bags are. By and large, they aren’t. You did nothing to change that. Just as much as you don’t get to deny what is there.

The notion of a geocentric “here” begs the question as to where you got that particular misguided stance from.

See http://www.factorydirectpromos.com/plastic-bag-bans

There is no “lie” here, apart from what you propagate.

starter
05/11/2015 at 15:57

There is nothing revolutionary about a reactionary symbol. See what the superman logo means in Cuba for a prime example of what can be drawn from even the clearest of intentions.

In a world where http://www.bagtheban.com/multimedia/item/the-truth-about-plastic-bags exists, you have ironically meddled the field to where a plastic bag on a flag would be a more (too) honest brand for such an initiative.

There is no goodwill in abstract thinking to be had from the powers that govern the non-reuse of plastic.

warrior
05/11/2015 at 16:03

@kingu, not sure why you are getting so aggressive.

We are all here to help, investing our free time for the good of this project and a better world.

Your feed back is by no means constructive or helpful, please try reformulate your comments so they can be useful for the community and Precious Plastic.

Regards,

starter
05/11/2015 at 16:20

Wholeheartedly agree, both in terms of applying it to the material it goes into, and also making what you brand it with.

Consistency and ease of construction is important to (reproducible) result.

To me that means geometrical shapes, in array or matrix pattern, not in need of multiple colours.

For example lettering appears simple, but is actually very laborious and difficukt. 😉 The people who are able to craft for example modern fonts by hand are extremely few, if at all possible without the use of computers. So the idea can appear to be simple, but the result unforgiving if anything is slightly off.

I have seen this happen, and it is sadly the downfall of ‘good’ design, forgetting the non-esoterics.

helper
05/11/2015 at 16:37

Hi everyone!

Really excited to see this thread becoming so vibrant and ful of great ideas. Exactly like we hoped. However, as the creator of this thread I feel I have to step in to moderate a bit.

The idea behind this thread is to present your idea and give feedback on other’s, in a positive way. We’re still quite a few steps from creating and/or adopting a logo. I’m not saying do not have a debate on what’s good and bad. What I’m saying is try to see whats good and elevate that, rather than point out what’s bad.

If you point out what’s good, that will be taken into account.
If you point out what’s bad all that will do is create a negative environment.

starter
05/11/2015 at 17:24

Since the comment was removed, I will only implicitly reply to it.

In essence it is a question of what is, be that good or bad. If it can be kept at that, rather than what isn’t, I think it helps the process.

I would flatter myself to think everyone likes or even understands the same as me, or what I do, then again I would learn nothing if they didn’t point out why.

Ultimately the goal isn’t to converge every identity into a us, since that is contrary to who people are, at-least me.

helper
05/11/2015 at 18:51

Hi @kingu!

Don’t know which comment you refer to that was removed.

Other than that, I think your going about this the wrong way.
Just because one does not point out ‘the bad’, and further, why ‘it’s bad’, does not mean that people do not understand it’s there.
The same goes for teaching and learning. Just because no one points out ‘the mistakes’, though praising what’s ‘right’. Does not mean that people do not understand that mistakes have been made.
And, on convergence (though I’m not really clear what you’re point is here),
people like different things, so convergence of identity is not a risk even though we exclude pointing out ‘the bad’.
Further, the task of pointing out what’s bad (if that is a task we should engage in at all) and the task of teaching, is subordinate to the main purpose of this thread: to see how the community envision the Precious Plastic logo and what other community members like about these visions.

We want a positive environment because we think it sparks creativity. And, while you seem to have a great deal of experience in design we (something we’ve seen through you superb designs) have a lot of experience in community management so, trust us on this.

This is the end of this conversation within this thread. If you want it to continue you can e-mail me on [email protected] or if you want transparency, start another thread.

warrior
05/11/2015 at 21:21

good suggestion @bikaro! -That is actually something which is quite nice. A very quick, affordable and effective way to mark plastic is by using a heated stamp. It takes some effort to make a stamp, once you have it, its very easy to use! So this is definitely an interesting area we want to explore more for Precious Plastic. Having a logo which is suited for this job makes a lot of sense!

starter
05/11/2015 at 22:29

hey kingu, sorry for huge delay i didn’t see your response 🙁

Well, 1st picture is 2 hammers crossed. I’m a gamer and every MMO player knows these hammers.

“Would work as a spinning animation loading-bar.” really great idea! I love it, if you know how to make one can you prepare something and share it?

I just wanted to share what I think and I hope it was helpful.

starter
05/11/2015 at 22:30

If you can make a right isosceles triangle ◣ you can make this, using itself to measure distance.

Attachments:
warrior
05/11/2015 at 23:16

Or we make a pixel ● and are able to make any logo!

starter
05/11/2015 at 23:31

I see a face on the bag, so I cleared the lines, maybe drawing 2 lines would be better than 3. We need a slogan with it, something like:
“use, reuse, recycle!”
I also don’t think this is expressing “More Consume!” because when average people go for shopping they don’t buy plastic bags, they buy other things and use plastic bags for carrying them. So there will never be an end to plastic bags. Because of that there are some companies working on making smarterbags:

I like this videoclip, check this out.
If this was about fashion or be trendy that would be expressing more consume. However there is only 7-8 people talking about it, so:
I wonder how facebook community will respond to this. Can we share it there maybe after making some changes on it?

Attachments:
starter
06/11/2015 at 02:25

But if you only make a pixel or a triangle to form a logo you still need drawing skills which not everybody has (like me :D). If you have a stamp as you @davehakkens said before it’s easy for everyone.

starter
06/11/2015 at 03:43

I see you caught on to my masqued pixelgraphic campaign and countered with a well played retort 🙂
Consider this, what if the logo is a vectorial one?

To keep the games going, I think the name bebop rocksteady would befit the shredder.

starter
06/11/2015 at 03:51

Plotting or graphing-skills are easier in terms of why drawing fails, but if you lack those I don’t suppose that helps. Making the stamp, or painted sign is sometimes the easiest, and should from scratch be feasible. Step 1. create universe.

starter
06/11/2015 at 20:31

yeah we don´t. My bad. Some typing mistake

Have a lovely day

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪