We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

This topic contains 105 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Chris V 2 years ago.

TomasHalberstad tomashalberstad

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

22/10/2015 at 10:30

For this step, then, we want to see how you envision the Precious Plastic logo looking. We want you to take inspiration from what we’ve summarized in this post. Also we’ve got some points of inspiration of our own that we want you to keep in mind:

connectedness – network – recycle – empowerment – inclusiveness – cycle – upcycle – people – cross cultural cooperation – hope – positivity – freshness of ideas and ideals – contemporary look&feel – open-source – DIY – plastic as a resource – waste as an empowering tool – valuable – new priorities from the people – tackling problems we’ve created first person – new direction – precious – new priorities

Get going and show us those logos! Preferably with a short explanation on your thinking.

Attachments:
105 replies
6 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on date
warrior
27/10/2015 at 08:10

Hi, Hey !

Nice to e-meet every member of this incredible community.
Just as you, I’m here to help create a better world. My name is Mattia and I am an interaction designer trained in London (LCC), now working across Europe. I develop digital experiences and identities for people and businesses I believe are doing good, no time for corporate hypocrisy (I worked for microsoft but that was a mistake). Here are some of my previous work for you guys:

Captn-Crop
Julia Exposito
Anekdot
MIcrosoft

After meeting Dave in July we started to work on the logo and quickly decided to open the process up to the community to get a more holistic, open source approach. We planned a creative journey with a number of different steps to involve all of you, however after a couple of weeks we realized that the specific interaction from the community (you) went beyond what we planned. We then had to readapt our original plan to fit your feed back.

I will now create a number of posts where I introduce different logo concepts, concepts deriving from your initial input.
Any feed backs, comments, tips, ideas, feeling or doubts will help create the new Precious Plastic logo.

starter
23/10/2015 at 13:48

A lot of things communicate recyclable, in particular the recycling icon, but if that is the main point, then that becomes the product. That is an expectation of a product we all know, that doesn’t quite work.
Its an idea at first, one where especially a logo, helps introduce the product. However, what kind of product is it? Is the idea behind it novel and admirable, even tangible at that, or something more?

You wouldn’t introduce a disabled comic as someone doing disabled comedy.
Likewise I think being recycled is something that should be alluded to, not put first and foremost.

Its a tough sell, and we all know how we want the story to play out. If something is funny, it is funny, the success-story is how it comes from a place of struggle, and uphill battle.

We may be thinking our way there, and getting a bit too far ahead. In the real world however, the first connotations that come to mind with the recycling symbol, even as someone who is really into and aware of it, is things that smell of recycling, and waste, primarily.
I appreciate it tremendously, but ideally its not what I want to like the most about a product. First and foremost i want the design, utilitarian and aesthetic nature to play along and inspire me, beyond wanting to use it.

The open hardware symbol is something to be considered, as more of a fresh take on things, representing some of the goto and sharing attitude of my generation, its the technical side, for a project that has one foot in each. Having both, as a sign of commitment and intent, makes sense, but not always in plain view. Also the type of plastic, if applicable, should be included in the recycling symbol.

If you want to make a lasting product, it has to be a good one, something you want to own or use. Pair that with a visual design that focuses on the visuals, with inventive meaning, ideally one that is good, and all arrows are pointing upwards.
We may all want there to be more recycling and to make our ecosystem more sustainable, but its a lot easier to get things done if that is a side benefit to getting things done.

Recommending a product, because its a good product, made well, is easier. Picking that battle is the point in time where its sustainability gives it an edge and a meaning.
Much like I don’t make logos for things I don’t support, the artistic side of it could be good, but it is meaningless without starting there. Yes you can think of it as a symbiosis, ok, lets start there and make sure its not only benign, but that we don’t skip anything.

I think the first point to make with design is to know your material. Lets steal that idea. Not everything can easily be produced on and with plastic.
The most interesting way to do it is by heating something made of metal and stamping it on there. It keeps the tools and results reproducible.

Start on a 21×17 grid and drill away the negative space, getting a bit of rounding in return if you CNC-it with a “bigger than straight edges resolution” sized drill-bit.
Or you can cast it by arranging some squares to make a mould and go back and forth till you have a die-cast. Or you can draw or put squares, on the product.

It is quite low-fi, but in a sense that it matches the production-process. No elaborate design-manual needed, and very easy to get ‘right’, even if that doesn’t mean 100%.

I think with a very organic and by nature thereof, complex design, becomes too much of one thing. A stylish design however offsets products aren’t 100% polished, like they are now, and scales well should you get there.

We are somewhere now, and might get to a potential future later, needing to be be recognisable all the way, not out of place at any time, now or however far we can get.
Something very organic I think would befit a product that is 100% polished, but then being a niche item for people who are already into that sort of mindset. Lets change mindsets.

You could meet in the middle by adding or taking away depending on how to see things, but even so arrive at more than the sum of parts.

I like presenting visuals for visuals, not conditioning people into what they should see. It either works or it doesn’t, and then we can talk about it if there is something to see.
Its a first impression, that’s what you have to work with, beyond that, there is nothing. There might be more things to see, or any number of other things, but those then become unfortunate.
A first impression is a good one if it makes a lasting impact, and is instantly recognisable and unique.

Looking at logos and how they progress, they tend to lose the font part, as the companies behind them get bigger, in cases where they have one visual and one largely unrelated to the project or visuals textual element.
Doing more with less here, and having some sort of foresight and grips on where we want to go is good.

Some designers even have no logo, or no mark on their products. IMO that is a bit removed from the workmanship of it, as it sometimes also is. However I like the idea, but there is no room to go through 100+ designs of every product, inherently a wasteful process,
to establish a visual identity that is uniform to the rest of the ‘line’. Instead I think its good to in the cases where it makes sense, to hide the logo underneath, and in other cases not slap it on there to try and cover over anything that should have been corrected elsewhere.

Using something as a plaster-band for selling or hyping products works maybe once, and to some not even then. It runs the risk of damaging an identity.
If what you want out of it is that same timeless and forever recognisable design-language that ‘design-product’-designers strive for.

Producing plastics that are for the most part solid objects has a sweet-spot of being simple and sleek if the shape is good. Add as little as possible, or actually, only/as much of -what benefits what is there already, and that is a desirable product.

Writing the logo in a font on a physical object is a bit cheesy, and also it might not fit physically, many tangible plastic objects are very small, or have a small area for where to fit a logo.
Mentally it, with the name it has, is the opposite of what the guidelines wish for, its an indo-european name, a good name at that, but lets see beyond ourselves to meet the people we want to reach, on equal terms.

Dave Hakkens visual identity to me seems like one of ‘do-it-yourself’, as he does, hakkening the planet. So on a website or otherwise, I think pairing logo with his handwriting, as used elsewhere, is a good idea.

Attachments:
starter
22/10/2015 at 20:56

I just found out you were looking for help about the logo. I will work on something tonight. Really excited about helping, I really like this project

warrior
10/11/2015 at 10:19

slightly abstracted

Attachments:
new
01/10/2017 at 08:38

I previously have the same concern, but I have found some unique and affordable naming service that works with brand slogan as well. Check this one http://eatmywords.com/blog/ to view their services.

helper
14/12/2015 at 16:34

Ok! Thanks for all the great suggestions and good feedback. It’s time to take the next step!

First, we wanted you to post concepts or ideas that you feel would describe Precious Plastic. Then, we wanted you to, using these ideas and concepts, provide us with sketches and/or outlines for a logo. Now, it’s time for you to vote on the submitted logos in order for us to get a Top 5.

So, head on over to this topic and get voting; https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/vote-logo/

helper
29/11/2015 at 20:57

Thank you for your kind words, @mattia-io! It’s always a plesure help with the ideas and give some feedback.

I’ll keep thinking about the logo!

warrior
23/11/2015 at 17:55

Thanks for the sketches @gujonon, however I think @kingu is correct when stating that having an arrow “killing” a bag “does make me lose regard for plastic as a resource, to the effect of destroying usable items as a goal in itself”..

Maybe killing the bag is not our objective, rather resuscitating it through recycling!

warrior
23/11/2015 at 17:52

🙂

No worries for the multiple messages, we’re all trapped in Whatsup modus operandi 🙂

But hey, this is a great idea- inscribing the double P in the infinite symbol.
I’ll have a go at it and see if it can work. Great shout!

Thanks @gujonon you are making this space exciting, alive and most importantly creatively constructive!

helper
23/11/2015 at 16:56

And it can also have the shape of the to PP of Precious Plastic:

Ps: Really sorry about posting everything in different comments

Attachments:
helper
23/11/2015 at 00:21

Thinking about it… Maybe this has more sense

Attachments:
helper
22/11/2015 at 20:16

Hi again @mattia-io!

I like the infinite logo. Also I think that it could be a good idea making the “infinite” real with the Precious Plastic machines we already have. More specifically I’m referring to build the moebius strip (http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/moebius_strip.jpg) with recycled plastic, make a photo of it and use it as a logo.

I think that, as someone suggested before in this post, using recycled plastic in the main logo could be really interesting!

What do you think?

starter
20/11/2015 at 14:51

I see a bag that is “dead”. It could be a plastic bag, it could be a paper bag. It is rendered void by an arrow, somewhat alarmingly directed at the onlooker. What it does is make me lose regard for plastic as a resource, to the effect of destroying usable items as a goal in itself. It is a nice illustration, and it would serve well as a narrative reminder of broken plastic, as that is a major contributor to waste, if it was repurposed in a later panel.

starter
18/11/2015 at 12:52

Thanks guys for your nice Feedback.

I think we should make an numbered overview of all the sketches to pick 1,2,3 favorites to focus on for further development.

Maybe there is a good online Tool for stuff like this. Becouse this thread is very long and ist Hard to habe an overview.

With Kisses and Love

helper
17/11/2015 at 16:21

I just want to interject that I absolutely love all the work that is being done in this thread. Keep it up!

warrior
16/11/2015 at 23:29

Clever logo @smhdsn! But @johnp makes a good point:

this looks really good. Although I believe this is a logo for more generic project like recycling all industrial products, not only plastic.

I do somewhat feel the same, it’s almost to clever and straightforward to use only just for plastic. Could be applied in so many other materials!

Really like the style of those sketchy logos @stephanjunglas. Great to see how sketches are turned into logos by collaborating!

warrior
16/11/2015 at 13:44

Hey @stephanjunglas,

Very nice sketches..the logic and conceptual thinking are great, I also can see the logo working on a number of medium and context. Only thing I am conerned with is the similarity with Google Drive Logo.

If we are to develop this option we must be sure we differentiate ourselves from “Google Digital Dictator Machine” 🙂

starter
15/11/2015 at 17:01

smhdsn, this looks really good. Although I believe this is a logo for more generic project like recycling all industrial products, not only plastic. I think it doesn’t specify that this is about only plastic. Correct me if I’m wrong, Precious Plastic is about recycling only plastic products. Still, this can be used in a future project which is about recycling all types of industrial products.

Attachments:
starter
15/11/2015 at 16:51

stephanjunglas good job, I really like this one. It is clear and easy to understand for a guy who doesn’t know what is Precious Plastic. If you can color it, that will be great.

Attachments:
starter
14/11/2015 at 01:18

Hi,
I realy like the hexagons from @mattia-io because it gives the logo a simple but interesting shape, maby you should make some more than just the ‘Pp’ in the middle. Or also combine the hexagon with the colored cyrcle?

I also like the logo made by @smhdsn, but I prefer the ones where only the borders are painted and not filled the hole objekt. In the filled versions, I think it’s to dark and bold, maby just because it’s just black and very big on my desktop. On the other side I like the last one drawn with pencil because in has some structure which will get lost if you make vectors from it.

warrior
13/11/2015 at 19:15

Hey well done!
This looks real cool!

Not so aggressive as you saying..
Shall we try to bring it into vector?

I can help with that if you want!

starter
12/11/2015 at 22:27

[Applause] love it. I’m thinking open hardware, made from recycled material.

If you stop taking critique, you ultimately limit yourself and what you do. Whatever you make of that, don’t stop listening. 🙂

Starting with a easy fix, there is a pixelfault in the arrowpoint negative space towards the back of the next arrow. The inner half is slightly fatter than the outer one.

The arrowpoint is also off centre on the ring, this is the most apparent noise. I think it should be in the middle so that the energy does not escape, but is rather carried round.

It can be done two ways, either place it there, throwing alignment of the arrowhead sides outer vs inner ring farther off, or compromise the equidistance of the arrowpoint to the arrowhead sides. That might look wonky, I don’t know.

For now I think some rounding on the arrowhead sides might look good, it otherwise needs to be 100% if its this brutal. Also put some pixels in where the cogs meet the wheel, its minute, but it makes the cog look less straight, not matching the rest with its apparent curve.

Look at the part of the arrow that would leave the string of a bow. Bonus for making the flat bits at either ends of the pointy bit line up, and that they are equidistant.

Making the outside of the pointy bit not curvy might match the arrowhead sides a bit better.

And also it matches better with the arrowhead. Full marks for making the outliers of the arrowhead half of the arrowhead tip front half, and that this distance is found again in the back of the arrow flat sides and pointy sides. You would need to adjust the diameter of the ring for this.

One trick of the trade is not placing the bottom arrowhead center bottom, that way it looks off straight away if the line in the middle isn’t perpendicular to the x axis. It is now, but you might juggle something else into place if its not.

Try looking at the whole thing by tilting your head to see this effect. Gives more recycle feel, and blends the bottom arrowhead in with the others.

The distance between the cogs isn’t the same (almost), nor does it match the gap in between that and the outside of the arrowhead outlier.

Since the cog on the back of the arrow is mostly fixed in place, you can adjust the first two to make this happen.

warrior
12/11/2015 at 21:15

Very nice!
Also quite versatile for different merchandise!

starter
11/11/2015 at 20:51

Very nice. I’m seeing glasses, frames aren’t out of question for something simple to produce.

With a genus-containing shape, you need two stencils if you want to spraypaint it.

Attachments:
starter
11/11/2015 at 15:29

Thank you tomas,

If a logo works good in black/white, only the shape of it, you are complety free in use of colour and textures later. If its stamped in pink plastic or cut out in wood, you will recognize it, becouse of its shape. Makes it universal.

And it also can helps you in the process of designing a logo. becouse colour always makes it a bit more friendly or nice to look at. But in case of designing it, colour can be “nice filter” of a not good logo. Like alle the colourfull filters in instagram – crappy picture but nice colours.

So if you split it up, shape and colour, you can have a more neutral look at it.

And you can add colour later on. But if its not in need of colour why adding it?

haha… thats my opinion =) Sometimes I am in need of some rules in designing. But unfortunately in design shouldnt be any rules at all!

helper
11/11/2015 at 15:12

Looking good! Thanks for your input. Should work in black and white is something I think too… but not sure why. (Not a graphics guy.) Is it because it sometimes will be needed in BW? And, when is that?

starter
11/11/2015 at 08:31

I like the circle. Visually pleasing, and more than the sum of its parts.

Some movement, as it looks to be buckling. Makes it interesting.

How can it be made to work in a monochromatic environment? Perhaps put something in it, that would also make it distinctly iconic from afar.

warrior
10/11/2015 at 10:45

Here is another little try out I made over the week end.
Not sure if we still want to pursue the “cycle” as a concept but I like the modular, granular nature of this version as it draws a connection to the nature of products produced with PP processes.
@dave shall I continue working on the “cycle” concept?

Attachments:
starter
06/11/2015 at 20:31

yeah we don´t. My bad. Some typing mistake

Have a lovely day

starter
06/11/2015 at 03:51

Plotting or graphing-skills are easier in terms of why drawing fails, but if you lack those I don’t suppose that helps. Making the stamp, or painted sign is sometimes the easiest, and should from scratch be feasible. Step 1. create universe.

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪