We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

This topic contains 105 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Chris V 2 years ago.

TomasHalberstad tomashalberstad

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

22/10/2015 at 10:30

For this step, then, we want to see how you envision the Precious Plastic logo looking. We want you to take inspiration from what we’ve summarized in this post. Also we’ve got some points of inspiration of our own that we want you to keep in mind:

connectedness – network – recycle – empowerment – inclusiveness – cycle – upcycle – people – cross cultural cooperation – hope – positivity – freshness of ideas and ideals – contemporary look&feel – open-source – DIY – plastic as a resource – waste as an empowering tool – valuable – new priorities from the people – tackling problems we’ve created first person – new direction – precious – new priorities

Get going and show us those logos! Preferably with a short explanation on your thinking.

Attachments:
105 replies
6 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
10/11/2015 at 10:13

Hello Community !

Sorry it has been a while but as you probably expect life gets in the way sometimes..:) I just found the time to work a bit more on some new concepts for PP logo as previous concepts created a lot of concerns and didn’t seem to unite the community.

Today I have focused on the molecule of plalstic. I found lots of visual references on the basic molecular composition of our precious plastic. I have tried to draw some possible options to consider. As @bikaro suggested these could be easier to implement in different context. Also, as @kingu previously proposed any of those options could be hand-drawn by @dave giving the PP a more human feel.

These are just concepts proposal, if any of you guys likes the idea we could dive deeper in it. Or we’ll keep coming up with some more concepts…

*Little numbers over the PP, could represent the current version of PP development

**Colors as usual are only of spculative natures, don’t take them in account we’ll think about it later!

Au revoir!

Attachments:
warrior
10/11/2015 at 10:19

slightly abstracted

Attachments:
warrior
10/11/2015 at 10:45

Here is another little try out I made over the week end.
Not sure if we still want to pursue the “cycle” as a concept but I like the modular, granular nature of this version as it draws a connection to the nature of products produced with PP processes.
@dave shall I continue working on the “cycle” concept?

Attachments:
warrior
10/11/2015 at 19:26

Again a nice concept @mattia-io, honestly there are so many directions I like in this topic! What do you guys think about this?
Plan: We make a few more logos than do a voting contest? The one with the most votes will be fine-tuned one last time (colors, proportions,font etc) until it’s perfect. And that’s it. The New Precious Plastic logo. Plan?

offtopic: We did some styling edits to the forum. It become a bit hard to track new posts. If you have more feedback, here

starter
11/11/2015 at 08:31

I like the circle. Visually pleasing, and more than the sum of its parts.

Some movement, as it looks to be buckling. Makes it interesting.

How can it be made to work in a monochromatic environment? Perhaps put something in it, that would also make it distinctly iconic from afar.

starter
11/11/2015 at 14:55

Hello to everyone in here!

Nice to see all the ideas and discussions about the new logo. I saw some weeks ago that a community logo was planned but then i forgot about it till yesterday. So i was really suprised about alle these ideas. thumbs up!

I am honest, i am to lazy too to read detailed all of the last comments. I am really a visual guy 😀 So please dont be mad if i skip something.

I was looking at all the stuff last night before going to bed and the only thing i could really remember was the “Flag Logo”, I really like the power of activism you can feel in there. It doesnt say to me -consuming- its more like a landmark “here is trash” or kind of warning. But it should be simplifiet to have more flexibelity with its use.

Inspired by all this stuff I was also sketching some ideas.
For me a Logo should be simple and flexible in its use what was mengioned here before. ( Stamp , engraving, printing,….)

So the Basic of a logo should work in Black/White, no gradients, no transparent parts, not to detailed (in case of stamping) and if possible in seperated pieces to have the possibelity of a spraypainting it.

Visually I had the same Idea what allready was sketched before here. Combining the Letters PP and the normal Recycling sign. Its simple but also smart to use the power of the allready developed recycling logo. Everyone knows it around the world, and it says in less as a second “recycling / plastic”

To really use the aesthetic of the original one i shopped it in parts and made a knew one. Kind of graphically recycling…haha. I also think the PP-Project is still connected to the normal recycling system. A little more friendly brother.

Interesting on this idea is that its possible do design a complete alphabet of this “recycling font”

Second Idea is more about fun. I think PP-Project is dealing with a serios ploblem in a open and nice way. So maybe the logo and aesthetic should reflect fun. That no one is afraid of thinking about shitty plastic problems. So I came up with a PP smiley.
I would love to see more “easy” ideas instead of taking it all to serios. What do you guys think?

Enough words for a visual guy. Looking forward for your feedback!

Stephan

Attachments:
helper
11/11/2015 at 15:12

Looking good! Thanks for your input. Should work in black and white is something I think too… but not sure why. (Not a graphics guy.) Is it because it sometimes will be needed in BW? And, when is that?

starter
11/11/2015 at 15:29

Thank you tomas,

If a logo works good in black/white, only the shape of it, you are complety free in use of colour and textures later. If its stamped in pink plastic or cut out in wood, you will recognize it, becouse of its shape. Makes it universal.

And it also can helps you in the process of designing a logo. becouse colour always makes it a bit more friendly or nice to look at. But in case of designing it, colour can be “nice filter” of a not good logo. Like alle the colourfull filters in instagram – crappy picture but nice colours.

So if you split it up, shape and colour, you can have a more neutral look at it.

And you can add colour later on. But if its not in need of colour why adding it?

haha… thats my opinion =) Sometimes I am in need of some rules in designing. But unfortunately in design shouldnt be any rules at all!

starter
11/11/2015 at 20:51

Very nice. I’m seeing glasses, frames aren’t out of question for something simple to produce.

With a genus-containing shape, you need two stencils if you want to spraypaint it.

Attachments:
starter
11/11/2015 at 21:38

thanks allan,

i will also leave my other rough sketches here which i didnt like. but maybe someone else sees some inspiration in it. thats the good part of a community logo!

Attachments:
starter
12/11/2015 at 19:45

Hi everyone, new user here 🙂
Drew a sketch this morning of a quick idea that came to me before school. Got home and worked on it for the last couple of hours.

The idea was to combine a gear with the recycling sign, which I believe both represent the project well.
I tried to preserve the sketchy-ness of the logo to give it a more DIY feeling, better representing the project.

Then I further experimented with the use of the world sketch in the centre, adding the aspect of worldwide cooperation.
As the logo looks good in black and white (in my opinion) I think it would be a nice stand out logo for the project.

Would like some feedback on this so feel free to criticise it as I’m just learning and having fun anyway 🙂
Also, please feel free to take the files and develop them further of you wish.

Big fan of all your work Dave so I’m happy to try help out a bit.
Thanks,
Sam

Attachments:
starter
12/11/2015 at 21:08

Here is a further design I have developed, trying to refine the look of the logo to a more industrial, clean look which would work well if used for stamping for example.

Attachments:
warrior
12/11/2015 at 21:15

Very nice!
Also quite versatile for different merchandise!

starter
12/11/2015 at 22:27

[Applause] love it. I’m thinking open hardware, made from recycled material.

If you stop taking critique, you ultimately limit yourself and what you do. Whatever you make of that, don’t stop listening. 🙂

Starting with a easy fix, there is a pixelfault in the arrowpoint negative space towards the back of the next arrow. The inner half is slightly fatter than the outer one.

The arrowpoint is also off centre on the ring, this is the most apparent noise. I think it should be in the middle so that the energy does not escape, but is rather carried round.

It can be done two ways, either place it there, throwing alignment of the arrowhead sides outer vs inner ring farther off, or compromise the equidistance of the arrowpoint to the arrowhead sides. That might look wonky, I don’t know.

For now I think some rounding on the arrowhead sides might look good, it otherwise needs to be 100% if its this brutal. Also put some pixels in where the cogs meet the wheel, its minute, but it makes the cog look less straight, not matching the rest with its apparent curve.

Look at the part of the arrow that would leave the string of a bow. Bonus for making the flat bits at either ends of the pointy bit line up, and that they are equidistant.

Making the outside of the pointy bit not curvy might match the arrowhead sides a bit better.

And also it matches better with the arrowhead. Full marks for making the outliers of the arrowhead half of the arrowhead tip front half, and that this distance is found again in the back of the arrow flat sides and pointy sides. You would need to adjust the diameter of the ring for this.

One trick of the trade is not placing the bottom arrowhead center bottom, that way it looks off straight away if the line in the middle isn’t perpendicular to the x axis. It is now, but you might juggle something else into place if its not.

Try looking at the whole thing by tilting your head to see this effect. Gives more recycle feel, and blends the bottom arrowhead in with the others.

The distance between the cogs isn’t the same (almost), nor does it match the gap in between that and the outside of the arrowhead outlier.

Since the cog on the back of the arrow is mostly fixed in place, you can adjust the first two to make this happen.

starter
13/11/2015 at 11:30

Hey,

I also like The clean Version of it. But in The Moment it feels very aggressive to me. But with this Idea as a Basic we should try different solutions for it. I think it also can get cleaner or even more abstract.
That we can develop a Visual Language out of it using significant Parts of The Logo to use it for graphics, typography and so on.

I just Sketched a reduced Idea of yours. But still very illustrative.

Wrote with My iPhone with German autocorrection, so The Text might be Looking weird.

Cheers

Attachments:
warrior
13/11/2015 at 19:15

Hey well done!
This looks real cool!

Not so aggressive as you saying..
Shall we try to bring it into vector?

I can help with that if you want!

starter
13/11/2015 at 20:08

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I’m glad you like it!
Here is another one with the small adjustments kingu suggested.

I’m not experienced in Illustrator so if you could make some vectors of a few styles that would be great thanks Mattia-io 🙂

Feedback on this one is much appreciated as always

Thanks guys,
Sam

Attachments:
starter
14/11/2015 at 01:18

Hi,
I realy like the hexagons from @mattia-io because it gives the logo a simple but interesting shape, maby you should make some more than just the ‘Pp’ in the middle. Or also combine the hexagon with the colored cyrcle?

I also like the logo made by @smhdsn, but I prefer the ones where only the borders are painted and not filled the hole objekt. In the filled versions, I think it’s to dark and bold, maby just because it’s just black and very big on my desktop. On the other side I like the last one drawn with pencil because in has some structure which will get lost if you make vectors from it.

starter
14/11/2015 at 16:18

Hey,
I just came up with an Idea to work with an Open triangle shape based on The normal Recycling sign. Here are Some Dirty sketches in which direction it could go. I also like The bot finished Sketches wehre you can still See how The graphic is constructed. Kind of a Open Source link. It also Looks a bit like a Warnung sign out of labratory to me.

Maybe someone wants to vectorize it, i Wont find Time in The next days.

Looking forward for your Feedback.

Ps: Upload thumbnails Looking upsidedown on The iPhone, Hopefully will be uploaded correctly

Attachments:
starter
15/11/2015 at 16:51

stephanjunglas good job, I really like this one. It is clear and easy to understand for a guy who doesn’t know what is Precious Plastic. If you can color it, that will be great.

Attachments:
starter
15/11/2015 at 17:01

smhdsn, this looks really good. Although I believe this is a logo for more generic project like recycling all industrial products, not only plastic. I think it doesn’t specify that this is about only plastic. Correct me if I’m wrong, Precious Plastic is about recycling only plastic products. Still, this can be used in a future project which is about recycling all types of industrial products.

Attachments:
starter
16/11/2015 at 01:20

thanks john,
what kind of color do you imagine for it? and why should it be colored?

here some tryouts… vectorized from the handsketched. should try it also in clean.

Attachments:
starter
16/11/2015 at 13:24

Not should or must colored but, if it is colored, that will be great.

Why? Good question. Before answering that, let me ask you another one:
Why do you think facebook, twitter and linkedin have blue logo? Not any other color, all 3 social media websites have blue logo(even foursquare in the beginning, now they changed the concept and the color. Also tumblr has blue). Using colors is great way to express emotions.

I’m thinking about Orange – White or Orange – Grey combination but you are the designer I believe you’ll come up with something fits. I just don’t recommend using green on the logo because green also represents money$$$ instead of recycling and mother nature.

warrior
16/11/2015 at 13:44

Hey @stephanjunglas,

Very nice sketches..the logic and conceptual thinking are great, I also can see the logo working on a number of medium and context. Only thing I am conerned with is the similarity with Google Drive Logo.

If we are to develop this option we must be sure we differentiate ourselves from “Google Digital Dictator Machine” 🙂

starter
16/11/2015 at 14:07

I prepared a bad version of this just for asking:
Mattia-io, do you think this looks like Google Drive Logo?
I think every triangle has a similarity with google drive but google doesn’t own this symbol.

Attachments:
warrior
16/11/2015 at 23:29

Clever logo @smhdsn! But @johnp makes a good point:

this looks really good. Although I believe this is a logo for more generic project like recycling all industrial products, not only plastic.

I do somewhat feel the same, it’s almost to clever and straightforward to use only just for plastic. Could be applied in so many other materials!

Really like the style of those sketchy logos @stephanjunglas. Great to see how sketches are turned into logos by collaborating!

helper
17/11/2015 at 16:21

I just want to interject that I absolutely love all the work that is being done in this thread. Keep it up!

starter
18/11/2015 at 12:52

Thanks guys for your nice Feedback.

I think we should make an numbered overview of all the sketches to pick 1,2,3 favorites to focus on for further development.

Maybe there is a good online Tool for stuff like this. Becouse this thread is very long and ist Hard to habe an overview.

With Kisses and Love

warrior
20/11/2015 at 12:58

Hello!

I askd a friend illustrator to bring to life a previous idea that come up in the forum.
Here is the result. What yha think?

Do you like the concept of a plastic bag being “stabbed”|”destroyed”|”caught” by a revolutionary arrow?

I believe it could be style down to be super simple and versatile but I think at this stage we’re only after concept proofing..

@gujonon something like this?
@danielalvarado would this work better?

Attachments:
starter
20/11/2015 at 14:51

I see a bag that is “dead”. It could be a plastic bag, it could be a paper bag. It is rendered void by an arrow, somewhat alarmingly directed at the onlooker. What it does is make me lose regard for plastic as a resource, to the effect of destroying usable items as a goal in itself. It is a nice illustration, and it would serve well as a narrative reminder of broken plastic, as that is a major contributor to waste, if it was repurposed in a later panel.

Viewing 30 replies - 61 through 90 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪