We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

This topic contains 105 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Chris V 3 years ago.

TomasHalberstad tomashalberstad

[Precious Plastic] Help us make the new Logo

22/10/2015 at 10:30

For this step, then, we want to see how you envision the Precious Plastic logo looking. We want you to take inspiration from what we’ve summarized in this post. Also we’ve got some points of inspiration of our own that we want you to keep in mind:

connectedness – network – recycle – empowerment – inclusiveness – cycle – upcycle – people – cross cultural cooperation – hope – positivity – freshness of ideas and ideals – contemporary look&feel – open-source – DIY – plastic as a resource – waste as an empowering tool – valuable – new priorities from the people – tackling problems we’ve created first person – new direction – precious – new priorities

Get going and show us those logos! Preferably with a short explanation on your thinking.

Attachments:
105 replies
6 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on date
warrior
20/11/2015 at 12:58

Hello!

I askd a friend illustrator to bring to life a previous idea that come up in the forum.
Here is the result. What yha think?

Do you like the concept of a plastic bag being “stabbed”|”destroyed”|”caught” by a revolutionary arrow?

I believe it could be style down to be super simple and versatile but I think at this stage we’re only after concept proofing..

@gujonon something like this?
@danielalvarado would this work better?

Attachments:
starter
14/11/2015 at 16:18

Hey,
I just came up with an Idea to work with an Open triangle shape based on The normal Recycling sign. Here are Some Dirty sketches in which direction it could go. I also like The bot finished Sketches wehre you can still See how The graphic is constructed. Kind of a Open Source link. It also Looks a bit like a Warnung sign out of labratory to me.

Maybe someone wants to vectorize it, i Wont find Time in The next days.

Looking forward for your Feedback.

Ps: Upload thumbnails Looking upsidedown on The iPhone, Hopefully will be uploaded correctly

Attachments:
warrior
28/10/2015 at 08:36

02. Logotype P

For this second round of logo concept we decided to focus on the letter P.
Abstracting the logo to the letter P could create a very distinctive mark of Precious Pastic. If we manage to also keep it simple it could be incredibly versatile and memorable when used in different context (web, print, machines, merchandise etc.).
In the following examples I wanted to give the letter P a young, fresh, curious, dynamic, lively, vivacious and spirited feel.
In previous feed back @dave pointed out that the current styling of the P might look a bit immature- but I kind of like the idea of PP being slightly immature, irrational, able to make mistake and start again, improve, learn and eventually become mature. I am not sure we are already mature, and the logo could represent just that!
The letter could possibly represent the proactive, grassroot nature of this community.

@johnp something you can see fitting with your idea of PP?
@rollo, some of the logos are inspired from the comment you made in the previous thread, what do you think?

*Once again, don’t focus your feed back on the colours as they are simply speculative.

Attachments:
warrior
21/11/2015 at 16:41

Hello,

Me again 🙂
Just throwing in some more concepts for PP logo.
Not sure they work as concepts but could indirectly activate some fresh idea in some you out there!

1.Infinte. This logo hints at the infinite loop that PP would create with plastic that is never actually wasted. A new perpetual life cycle. A theoretical endless/ infinte loop. The shape is filled with small elements (recycled bits) to draw a visual connection with the PP process and basic raw material. The bits feels also somehow playful.

2. Collecting Net. For this concept I focused on the initial activity required from PP: collecting the plastic. Abstracting the collection phase to an illustrated net could help de-serious-ify the issue (many users often bounce for excess of seriousness). Althought people might not be collecting the plastic with the net they can relate to it.

Attachments:
starter
16/11/2015 at 14:07

I prepared a bad version of this just for asking:
Mattia-io, do you think this looks like Google Drive Logo?
I think every triangle has a similarity with google drive but google doesn’t own this symbol.

Attachments:
starter
13/11/2015 at 20:08

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I’m glad you like it!
Here is another one with the small adjustments kingu suggested.

I’m not experienced in Illustrator so if you could make some vectors of a few styles that would be great thanks Mattia-io 🙂

Feedback on this one is much appreciated as always

Thanks guys,
Sam

Attachments:
starter
13/11/2015 at 11:30

Hey,

I also like The clean Version of it. But in The Moment it feels very aggressive to me. But with this Idea as a Basic we should try different solutions for it. I think it also can get cleaner or even more abstract.
That we can develop a Visual Language out of it using significant Parts of The Logo to use it for graphics, typography and so on.

I just Sketched a reduced Idea of yours. But still very illustrative.

Wrote with My iPhone with German autocorrection, so The Text might be Looking weird.

Cheers

Attachments:
starter
12/11/2015 at 19:45

Hi everyone, new user here 🙂
Drew a sketch this morning of a quick idea that came to me before school. Got home and worked on it for the last couple of hours.

The idea was to combine a gear with the recycling sign, which I believe both represent the project well.
I tried to preserve the sketchy-ness of the logo to give it a more DIY feeling, better representing the project.

Then I further experimented with the use of the world sketch in the centre, adding the aspect of worldwide cooperation.
As the logo looks good in black and white (in my opinion) I think it would be a nice stand out logo for the project.

Would like some feedback on this so feel free to criticise it as I’m just learning and having fun anyway 🙂
Also, please feel free to take the files and develop them further of you wish.

Big fan of all your work Dave so I’m happy to try help out a bit.
Thanks,
Sam

Attachments:
starter
11/11/2015 at 21:38

thanks allan,

i will also leave my other rough sketches here which i didnt like. but maybe someone else sees some inspiration in it. thats the good part of a community logo!

Attachments:
starter
11/11/2015 at 14:55

Hello to everyone in here!

Nice to see all the ideas and discussions about the new logo. I saw some weeks ago that a community logo was planned but then i forgot about it till yesterday. So i was really suprised about alle these ideas. thumbs up!

I am honest, i am to lazy too to read detailed all of the last comments. I am really a visual guy 😀 So please dont be mad if i skip something.

I was looking at all the stuff last night before going to bed and the only thing i could really remember was the “Flag Logo”, I really like the power of activism you can feel in there. It doesnt say to me -consuming- its more like a landmark “here is trash” or kind of warning. But it should be simplifiet to have more flexibelity with its use.

Inspired by all this stuff I was also sketching some ideas.
For me a Logo should be simple and flexible in its use what was mengioned here before. ( Stamp , engraving, printing,….)

So the Basic of a logo should work in Black/White, no gradients, no transparent parts, not to detailed (in case of stamping) and if possible in seperated pieces to have the possibelity of a spraypainting it.

Visually I had the same Idea what allready was sketched before here. Combining the Letters PP and the normal Recycling sign. Its simple but also smart to use the power of the allready developed recycling logo. Everyone knows it around the world, and it says in less as a second “recycling / plastic”

To really use the aesthetic of the original one i shopped it in parts and made a knew one. Kind of graphically recycling…haha. I also think the PP-Project is still connected to the normal recycling system. A little more friendly brother.

Interesting on this idea is that its possible do design a complete alphabet of this “recycling font”

Second Idea is more about fun. I think PP-Project is dealing with a serios ploblem in a open and nice way. So maybe the logo and aesthetic should reflect fun. That no one is afraid of thinking about shitty plastic problems. So I came up with a PP smiley.
I would love to see more “easy” ideas instead of taking it all to serios. What do you guys think?

Enough words for a visual guy. Looking forward for your feedback!

Stephan

Attachments:
warrior
10/11/2015 at 19:26

Again a nice concept @mattia-io, honestly there are so many directions I like in this topic! What do you guys think about this?
Plan: We make a few more logos than do a voting contest? The one with the most votes will be fine-tuned one last time (colors, proportions,font etc) until it’s perfect. And that’s it. The New Precious Plastic logo. Plan?

offtopic: We did some styling edits to the forum. It become a bit hard to track new posts. If you have more feedback, here

starter
24/10/2015 at 18:58

Colours open possibilities, this blend did particularly well in peer review.

Attachments:
helper
04/02/2018 at 22:03

Shout-out to @mattia-io. I bet you were pretty stoked when you found your design more-or-less used for the official PP logo! 🙂

starter
09/12/2015 at 22:25

Hey !
I’m not really good at drawing but here is my idea(based on @mattia-io) if we still can help !
(sorry my picture is not nice…)

Attachments:
starter
29/11/2015 at 17:37

Maybe add something going in and some text in this plane to help.
I failed, but you see what I’m thinking.

Attachments:
starter
26/11/2015 at 15:07

The first one only works in this colour, because the bottom element is too dominant.

The second one is a more rounded variant.

The third one uses more rounding and gentler colours.

The last one is my favourite.

The most notable elements are

1. PP each to their side top left and right.
2. A heart, signifying the precious nature of the project, material and goal.
3. A recycling symbol in the middle.
4. Two people, facing each-other, shaking hands at the bottom element.
5. Three people, seen in “family portrait style” with two heads on the sides, and one in the middle.
6. A 7-segment display aesthetic. Not so important.

The reason I like the last one is because it has a magical element. It draws attention and engages the mind. It works in many different sizes, and does different things for each. It is unique, yet simple to construct.

Attachments:
warrior
23/11/2015 at 18:06

Hey Hey,

Worked on one more sketch/concept for PP logo. Any feed back would be useful. his time I have decided to focus on one of the key element of the machines, the nozzle.

Attachments:
helper
22/11/2015 at 20:06

Hey @mattia-io! How is everything?

Really like the idea of fighting the plastic bag! But, what about defeating it with something more related to Precious Plastic (no an arrow)?

This is a quick sketch I made using my first drawing of the shredding piece, only to show you what I’m talking about. Hope you like ninjas as I do haha

Attachments:
starter
16/11/2015 at 13:24

Not should or must colored but, if it is colored, that will be great.

Why? Good question. Before answering that, let me ask you another one:
Why do you think facebook, twitter and linkedin have blue logo? Not any other color, all 3 social media websites have blue logo(even foursquare in the beginning, now they changed the concept and the color. Also tumblr has blue). Using colors is great way to express emotions.

I’m thinking about Orange – White or Orange – Grey combination but you are the designer I believe you’ll come up with something fits. I just don’t recommend using green on the logo because green also represents money$$$ instead of recycling and mother nature.

starter
16/11/2015 at 01:20

thanks john,
what kind of color do you imagine for it? and why should it be colored?

here some tryouts… vectorized from the handsketched. should try it also in clean.

Attachments:
starter
12/11/2015 at 21:08

Here is a further design I have developed, trying to refine the look of the logo to a more industrial, clean look which would work well if used for stamping for example.

Attachments:
warrior
10/11/2015 at 10:13

Hello Community !

Sorry it has been a while but as you probably expect life gets in the way sometimes..:) I just found the time to work a bit more on some new concepts for PP logo as previous concepts created a lot of concerns and didn’t seem to unite the community.

Today I have focused on the molecule of plalstic. I found lots of visual references on the basic molecular composition of our precious plastic. I have tried to draw some possible options to consider. As @bikaro suggested these could be easier to implement in different context. Also, as @kingu previously proposed any of those options could be hand-drawn by @dave giving the PP a more human feel.

These are just concepts proposal, if any of you guys likes the idea we could dive deeper in it. Or we’ll keep coming up with some more concepts…

*Little numbers over the PP, could represent the current version of PP development

**Colors as usual are only of spculative natures, don’t take them in account we’ll think about it later!

Au revoir!

Attachments:
starter
06/11/2015 at 02:25

But if you only make a pixel or a triangle to form a logo you still need drawing skills which not everybody has (like me :D). If you have a stamp as you @davehakkens said before it’s easy for everyone.

starter
05/11/2015 at 23:31

I see a face on the bag, so I cleared the lines, maybe drawing 2 lines would be better than 3. We need a slogan with it, something like:
“use, reuse, recycle!”
I also don’t think this is expressing “More Consume!” because when average people go for shopping they don’t buy plastic bags, they buy other things and use plastic bags for carrying them. So there will never be an end to plastic bags. Because of that there are some companies working on making smarterbags:

I like this videoclip, check this out.
If this was about fashion or be trendy that would be expressing more consume. However there is only 7-8 people talking about it, so:
I wonder how facebook community will respond to this. Can we share it there maybe after making some changes on it?

Attachments:
starter
05/11/2015 at 00:49

Hi,
another point I just thought about was how the logo will be presented. So only as Picture on websites or printed or also like an engraving in something like plastic chips made with recycled plastic(like on the picture (dont look on the logo on it)) or also the recycling machines…. Because if you want to make an engraving it should be simple forms and not something complicate with many different colours and so on.

Sorry if this would more fit in the last step but just thought about it now.

bikaro

background texture source: http://www.thematrixer.com/texturenstart.php (Just love this textures :D)

Attachments:
starter
04/11/2015 at 15:57

I like the idea @mattia-io Well done

Now I ask, How do you feel it would be better to represent PP, with a happy looking like plastic bag or sad one? I ask this because we want people to using the plastics bags, therefore the bag itself could be happy o sad because it will be no longer be useful

I believe that the bag should be happy (assuming it has consciousness :D) because it would be better for the greater good to stop polluting the planet

I like the second one better then the first and would change the background

Great job 😀 Have a great day

warrior
04/11/2015 at 10:55

and here is a more illustrative one

Attachments:
warrior
28/10/2015 at 16:21

We’ve been using this “unofficial” logo for a while. PP stands for well, Precious Plastic. However this is also the icon for Polypropyleen. Which I figured was be a nice link! However it turns out the is just confusing. But what do you think in general about using the recycle icon? Use or avoid? I have mixed feelings with it.

Attachments:
starter
27/10/2015 at 14:38

Since they are all basic geometrical shapes with little variation, I imagine they are all used, which means as an indistinguishable take on existing design, it can’t be trademarked onto itself, or again. What’s worse is it has no distinctive identity or feature tying it to Precious Plastic.

http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/the-joomla-logo.png
(series of J’s)
http://brandchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/banksimplebranding.jpg
(bank in need of superfluous identity)
https://www.spekscreative.com/images/logos/kscope.png
(change this to endoscope and you are unpleasantly close to infringing on http://logopond.com/logos/e7b02176e95fd149b54d4a79adbca4bc.png an actual company in unrelated business)
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/498827357667332098/lYMOA4Q1_200x200.png
https://dribbble.com/shots/791617-Leo
(A lion with mane)
https://grabcad.com/library/mobius-logo-1

Spending some time looking this up, anyone will establish an appreciation for how many Möbius, kaleidoscopic, spirograph or just basic fractal type logo-designs there are.

What I think of it is best described as the text accompanying this: http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-vector-set-collection-of-trendy-multicolored-overlapping-transparent-circle-shaped-logo-design-elements-248152543.jpg

Stock Vector Illustration:
set collection of trendy multicolored overlapping transparent circle shaped logo design elements

There are no more saw-blades here than anywhere else.

I’m all for recycling, but we might as well turn the b around and use this http://drpete.co/images/bp-logo.png

Given there are no basic shapes left up for grabs, the nature of which means its a mundane goal to have, even for now ones, utilizing a low entropy design is going to be one of too many, and also one in need of constant repetition to have the desired effect.

A basic shaped use smartly, is distinctly taken.

What remains is combining something that actually provokes a thought-process, rather than being something for those that already know, in ways that have multiple qualities.

The idea here is to actually inspire a connotation to recycling, without confusing optical sorting machines, as the official symbol used out of context would.

Contemporary paired with memorable is how you remember what the 80s or 90s looked like.

‘Lasting’ is a quality I want to give plastic.

I don’t know how it fared without the usual ‘energetic logo’ recycle-initiative moniker, but here it is, in green.

Attachments:
warrior
27/10/2015 at 08:17

01_Recycling.

Based on your input we developed a number of logo inspired by the recycling motif. As @bikaro, @vratislav-pecka, @gujonon, @sanp, @imsomagic said the recycling aesthetic carries specific meaning people can quickly refer to. In my opinion when using the recycling logo we also need to be extremely careful not to fall within dangerous cliches and visual banality. The following logo are attempting to abstract the original recycling logo to give Precious Plastic a contemporary and memorable look. As proposed by @gujonon I also tried to create a logo that resembles the shredder’s blades to encapsulate power and strength.

*Please don’t provide any feed back on colors, we will take care of that in a second moment.

Attachments:
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪