Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Precious plastic in grade 7 classroom

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Dimitri 1 day ago.

Yann Brahic rabadswompe

Precious plastic in grade 7 classroom

28/08/2017 at 19:20

Hello All,
I have been teaching science and technology for 20 years now and needed someting new. As luck would have it, my school needed a program to enrich the science curriculum for science orientated kids… Cue Preciousplastic!

My schredder is complete and functionnal with a 1hp motor and a few security (!!) mods.
I am currently working on the wiring of the injection and compression. Extrusion Is in the plans but will wait a year before we build it (mastering the 1st 3 will be enough).

Will post pics soon.

Yann

warrior
30/11/2017 at 19:40

@rabadswompe,

It is great that your are integrating Precious Plastic into science curriculum, keep it up. Also don’t forget the photos!!

Toggle replies
starter
02/12/2017 at 04:43

Great to hear. My school had wood,metal and auto shops,now they could use Plastic shop. It would be cool to have as a senior project to build a PP workspace and donate it to another school.Just think how many different skills the kids would learn and at the same time get another school started.

Toggle replies
starter
02/12/2017 at 07:51

Great project
What is grade 7 😀 how old are the pupils.

The aim here is the fabrication itself? and what do you do after the machine are ready? I mean as courses… How is stick whit the official education Programm of Canada.

My opinion is that it could be also a post in idea section.
One of the PP objectif is to be déveloped, know and used…. What is better than education and school to have a great and deep impact. I remember the Dave video in a museum or exposition where they have made a manual shredder and an injection machine.

Thanks one more time, I wait the pictures with impatience…

DiB

Toggle replies
starter
06/12/2017 at 19:05

PP fits with sec3 science of the Quebec curriculum which has a module on plastic types and properties. I bring it to younger (11year old) student with an environmental angle with intro to different industrial processes and with simple physics as well. The students use the equipment and produce raw chips from wich they are currently molding flower pots. I am waiting for a nozzle and molds for the injection that should arrive in 2 weeks. Kids LOVE Pp both as a hands on production and a mission. I pinned my location on the map and added a few pics.

Attachments:
Toggle replies
starter
06/12/2017 at 19:11

More pics notice long funnel to keep fingers out of grinder

Attachments:
Toggle replies
starter
06/12/2017 at 19:17

More… cage to keep hands away from heating elements on injection

Attachments:
Toggle replies
starter
06/12/2017 at 19:20

I have an issue with the compression … when it reaches set temp it keeps on heating. Maybe it is the ast or faulty thermostat ( I ordered spares)

Attachments:
Toggle replies
dedicated
06/12/2017 at 19:29

Nice flower pots!

You say you are waiting on an injection nozzle/moulds and I notice you have a car jack under the machine. Are you using a threaded nozzle or a ball-ended type held against the mould by pressure?

Toggle replies
starter
06/12/2017 at 19:46

I will go for a nozzle like a hot glue gun and maintain molds on the nozzle with pressure from underneath ( the jack)… at least that’s what I want to try

Toggle replies
starter
06/12/2017 at 19:56

We are working exclusively with hdpe for the moment… I don’t want to try other types as the clean out of the grinder ( nick name the ogre) if really a pain.

I first opened plastic collection to the kids in the program, then to school staff and finally, to reach the correct input quantities I asked all the grade 7 students of the school.

Toggle replies
dedicated
06/12/2017 at 20:21

I think your nozzle idea is sound and should work well. Please post some photos, I’d be interested to see.

Toggle replies
starter
06/12/2017 at 21:08

Will do. I’m picking up the parts on dec 16th

Toggle replies
starter
08/12/2017 at 20:48

Since I have only 3 machines and 23 students in that class I had to keep the others busy… some pics. Aquariums(30and90 gal) are now filled and livestock installed… emphasis will be on monitoring water quality and fish behavior( parental care of fry, mouthbrooders, livebearers, courtship displays…)

Attachments:
Toggle replies
starter
08/12/2017 at 20:51

@dbougas pupils are 11 to 13 years old and they run production. Machines are built by a combination of professionals, volunteers and myself.

Toggle replies
starter
10/12/2017 at 00:45

👍 clever and beautiful results…
Thanks a lot for your sharing…
DiB

Toggle replies
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.