We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Precious Plastic Version 4? 😮

This topic contains 156 replies, has 103 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Rodriguez 1 week ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Precious Plastic Version 4? 😮

30/01/2018 at 22:19

You might have been aware that we launched Precious Plastic Version 3 a few months back. Maybe. We made many new things, introduced the bazar, container workspace, a series of art objects, a map for collaboration, more techniques and a way for the community to share their own tutorial videos. Quite a lot. Our main focus for this version was on expanding the platform and making it easier for people to collaborate.

This period is really fun for us. Seeing what the community, you guys do with the information. Always exciting to see if its used the way we intended. But besides observing we also gather feedback, comments, posts, topics we see or improvements we could do. And I can’t help myself, but slowly I think about what a V4 would look like.

So thats where this topic is for. To share your ideas, suggestions,improvements. What would you like Precious Plastic to work on and improve next? Throw it in here! Together we set the course 💪
*Oh and I might look inactive every now and then because i don’t leave a reply but I read all of it. No kidding.

156 replies
57 subscribers
18 saved
21 likes
sort on date
new
29/05/2018 at 19:00

to speed up things and come back to the idea mentioned above (support machine builders per continent) :

– if you have a reliable and cheap source for laser cutting per continent, we can reduce the shredder box from 300 – 400 down to 100 only. because the fiber laser needed is around 5000 euro. ideally a machine builder has a router already or at least can complete the laser CNC router for pretty cheap.  in that case i’d contribute 2500 Euro to do so (for south europe/spain)! the laser unit should be paid after 20 units, if you like.

– same for other machine parts: one reliable & cheap CNC in each continent would allow you to reduce expensive parts like couplers, drive shafts, extrusion drills down to 50 – 70 %.

– same for reducers, with some luck and support, a machine builder could adjust his lathe to build gears for worm drives. that could reduce the motor reducer price from 200-500 down to 100 euro

there are also working models of ‘social’ currencies which could support this idea.

if we don’t do anything in this direction, we will remain exposed and depending to an <b>expensive, proprietary and pretty shark like market</b> ! in short, we will move with a third of the current speed, less even! because as said, scrap yards are not a solution, we need a shredder for all and this aren’t exactly  DIY machines, it’s more an assembly of expensive parts, at least with v3 !

at the end of the you guys want to see more plastic back in circulation whilst feeding the ecosystem as best possible. leaving everyone to the sharks with an 6000 euro setup (still using proprietary parts/technology) and still no rich up-streams opportunities to the system wasn’t exactly the idea, was it ? 🙂
kind regards,
guenter

dedicated
29/05/2018 at 12:51

Ahh man, congratulations with that funding, so well-deserved!

– I’d like to see some more research and information spreading on health and safety for using plastics and the machines. I feel like there’s a quite some people having questions on topic and there’s no real funded proof of this (or I missed out on this)
If you’re interested, I got contact information from a very helpful guy working here: https://www.centexbel.be/nl/vkc-homepage. They used to be called “Flanders plasticvision” and a few years ago I had a tour at their research center. They have a lot of knowledge on plastics but also on recycling. They have test-labs for checking strengths etc. And the guy is very helpful.
They used to be a non-profit organization, which I believe is an important factor for collaborating with Precious Plastic. But I’m not sure what the current structure of the company is.

– I noticed there’s quite some room for improvement on making the machines efficient for production purposes. Maybe this could be a focus for V4, as this will decrease the cost for producing products and making it more sustainable to set up a recycling shop. Which leads me to my next point.

– I agree with getting a better idea over a business plan. It would be awesome if the machines would be able to sustain the people who are running a recycling center somehow, and not need to rely on funding. I’ve just seen @siemenb ‘s topic who has been doing an awesome job so far. A lot of information will need to come from the community to do this. From people who have tried selling products: What works, what doesn’t? What have you tried? What generates most income? Perhaps do a cost-benefit analysis on the machines to see which opportunities you get from which machine? And how does this information relate to different cultures? Just thinking out loud here.
In Western countries I think workshops are quite popular and I see a potential there: The people taking the workshops learn while doing. They’d bring their own trash and create an object with it. They learn more about recycling, learn more about the importance of separating and cleaning plastics (or even which product to buy that are the easiest to recycle), and get to make an object which they can take home to tell others about it. I think there’s people already out there doing this, but maybe it could be good for V4 to make some guidelines for doing this?

Anyway, so far for my rambling here. Above has been written on several times of the day so there might be some weirdness in there.

starter
28/05/2018 at 11:25

The motors for shredder and extruder from scratch.

dedicated
17/05/2018 at 22:26

Hi
Lot of designers here around…
What’s about machine with beautiful design in order to do promotion  of PP with the started logo signature.
Basic shredder with round shape protection.
DiB

new
23/04/2018 at 01:45

Absolutely. That’s brilliant.

starter
19/04/2018 at 21:56

Wouldn’t it be nice to 3d print the frame, and only have to buy the motor/rotors/shredder parts? In that way it could be more affordable, and it’s easier to reach the ultimate goal: recycle more plastic. In the Netherlands there are several places with a 3D printer, I know. *Never went there, though.*

Viewing 6 replies - 151 through 156 (of 156 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪