We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Realistic Costs – Shredder

This topic contains 53 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Fabrizio Forte 2 years ago.

Fool paulfreed

Realistic Costs – Shredder

09/05/2016 at 16:39

I started out building the shredder enthusiastically. At the time I did realize the cost of 180 euros wasn’t realistic, which didn’t bother then, thinking it would come to a bit more or maybe double. I’ve got the actual shredder done, the frame costed, worm gear costed, motor bought, and now the total is probably going in the direction of 750 euros. I think mostly because some of it just has to be bought new. Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

Realistically, would someone (from near here of course) still be interested in buying these things when those are the material costs alone? I’m not so convinced anymore that this is still all viable.

Please help restore my faith someone!

53 replies
2 subscribers
3 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
28/06/2016 at 12:46

@aust

Sounds interesting, pictures please! I like the use of chains, avoids the need for a flexible coupling.

How far apart are your shafts, 35mm? And how have you attached the gears and 50T sprocket to them? 10mm bore sounds rather small for 300Nm.

starter
28/06/2016 at 13:36

@andyn

I haven’t had any issues yet. Touch wood. Shafts are 50mm apart on their centerline. Everything is attached via set (grub) screws. It holds together well even using 10mm blades shredding aluminium cans. That’s the highest abuse I’ve put it through. I agree that it is too small for a 10mm bore.

If I redesign, 41mm hex and 32mm plate will be used via a 5hp 3phase. Prices skyrocket for that system though. I may just remake my shaft to 20mm and order new bearings to match.

I will have photos of mine in coming days. Here is a picture of Thymarks and my gearbox outline for reference.

L

Attachments:
new
28/06/2016 at 18:13

@aust

Very interested in your designs. I too am in Australia and was wondering where you are located.

I’m not technically minded and have never done any production or building work other than a little DIY woodworking at home, would like to talk to someone who has working experience with steel etc.

would love to see your machine in action

helper
29/06/2016 at 11:35

@aust & @andyn

Hey Guys, I like the idea of your design. Where did you get it from? I’d like to price making it, where did you get the cad files etc.? Or did you make it yourself?

Cheers,
Paul

warrior
29/06/2016 at 12:50

@paulfreed

I just looked around the internet and liked the twin shaft design better. The only parts I drew were the cutters, the rest I made as I went along, with a little trial and error. I’m putting together a video of how I built it, but I’m still working on the finishing touches to the machine itself.

new
11/07/2016 at 05:37

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would add my input.
I have tried to get quotes to have the shredder box laser cut or water cut here in Australia……best quote $900 AUD
And a motor, best I could get new was a 2KW with 70 rpm, and 1:40 gear reduction ratio – $900 AUD also. Thats as is, with the shredder direct from the precious plastics plans.

Well I decided to check abroad, and see what I could get it done on the other side of the globe.
I was able to get the shredder box cut, in 304 grade stainless, and the hopper, and the frame!! all shipped to Australia (FOB of course, no idea if there would be any further costs to get it from the post to my house) – for….drum roll…..$180 USD……not bad I reckon.

If I wanted 100 shredder boxes, the whole price comes down to $102 USD per unit (all 3 parts, just have to source a geared motor…..

Have a great day.

starter
13/07/2016 at 17:29

@enviro could you please guide me and put the link of which crowbar you used.

And guys, maybe I am wrong but I have quote here in Australia of 200 AUD for laser cutting all the parts for the shredder.

You guys are getting ripped off.

helper
15/07/2016 at 03:49

@novaqui The crowbars I have had for a long time, I don’t think it would be cost effective to go out & buy a new one, someone also mentioned because they hardened steel you might encounter problems when getting someone to machine it.

Sorry I can’t be of more help, I’ve put my build on hold at the moment 🙂

helper
11/02/2017 at 10:39

Hi. Where did you get such prices?
Thnx in advance.

ALx

helper
07/06/2017 at 13:23

I dig it!
I honestly think the double shaft is the way forward.

helper
10/06/2017 at 23:55

Hi Guys, I’m in Auckland, NZ and just ordered my laser cut parts for 110 NZD, got 1 meter of hex bar for 43 NZD (still needs to be machined), found a suitable motor on TradeMe (populair online secondhand market place) for 100 NZD.
I’ll have to order some electronics/bearings of ebay which i reckon will amount to 50 nzd.
I’ll build a timber frame, since all houses here are timber build, heaps of demolition materials around. Timber will be free or for a few dollars.
Hopper made out of roofing iron or old flashings. Free or a few dollars. Rivet them together instead of welding.

Realistic estimate at this point: around 350,- NZD (225 EUR / 335 AUD / 252 USD)

I’ll have to see if the laser cut parts are done well. If so, anyone interested in having them shipped from New Zealand?

Cheers
Raymond

new
02/07/2017 at 10:11

In Austria the costs forthe lasercutted parts are 900Eur.
The cheapest price with help of a friend where 550 Eur.
without motor, frameing, hex shaft and electronic….

new
09/10/2017 at 08:01

Raymond…I just quoted crazy amount for parts only for the shredder parts no boxing or anything. If your parts are good I want to order from your place. I’m just starting getting things together but have a bit of scrap for the framing and some really good support for welding. Let me know how it goes.

helper
12/10/2017 at 00:30

I just assembled mine after having the blades and spacers plasma cut, by a shop in New England (I’m in Western NC). It was tedious to refine the beveled edges inherent in a plasma cut, but, I was able to assemble the shredder at a great cost.

DOUBLE set of blades and spacers – $100
Square shaft, turned to 3/4″ at ends. $20
Junkyard motor – $10.
steel for frame – $30.
bearings – $30
electrical – $70, includes paddle switch and breaker on the motor, plug and new outlet, later, found a junkyard drum switch.
gearbox – $300
couplings to motor – $40
—–$600

the gearbox was a bit overkill. I bought a new 3.5hp unit one to match my 3HP motor. After buying this gearbox, I’ve probably found 4 smaller 2hp units at our local junkyard.
We set ours up as a ‘multi-machine’ w/spider couplings on the shaft. Easily removed to drive other devices, like our parts tumbler and roller mill. Designing in this kind of modularity helps us justify the expense.
Not to sound too proud here… but knowing our way around the junkyard and learning to run a wire welder have really been a big help with the budget.

starter
26/02/2018 at 09:43

Hey @brasem Jusy wondering how you got on with your build? I’ve just found this treasure trove of magic and am really keen to get building. I haven’t welded for years but have access to the tools at work. I think I’d be keen to go with the metal plan. How did the wood work out for you?

helper
26/02/2018 at 09:57

@calderson Hi Chris, I’ve finished my shredder although it never feel entirely finished…
Do not go with timber. I actually found a steel table frame on the side of the road. It was a tad larger than needed and i ended up using a 18mm ply top. Bad idea as this has too much flex meaning the motor and shredder unit move too much. I have an Oldham coupler which corrects mis-alignment, but even with that in place i’d still have to add steel to the frame and bolt the units down properly.

Are you in Auckland?

helper
26/02/2018 at 20:46

Around 1700 euro in Switzerland. With second hand stuff whitout the lazercut.

dedicated
26/02/2018 at 21:55

@geat I think I could sell the whole Shredder between 1200 and 1500 Euros depending of motor power and with all new parts. next month we will see.

helper
26/02/2018 at 21:58

@fabirihotmail-com
Sound’s good ! Say me when you have finished.

dedicated
26/02/2018 at 22:07

Of course!

new
10/05/2018 at 21:22

Hi,
here are my latest numbers, from Catalonia (near spain) : here

, totalling 830 Euro (150 for labor) with a powerful 5hp motor and laser cutted parts.

new
11/05/2018 at 00:44

It would be btw. nice and also a bit more responsible if those estimates along with its options would be published very visible on the main page. I’m really tired of answering emails (3-5 the week) where people asking me for quotes and 50% don’t have the decency to say thank you…. I guess those folks are rather overwhelmed by the 700 – 1000 Euro I offer to them which is already extreme cheap, also considering I work my a$$ off for 6 euro/hour. Also this should be done for the other machines. Pointing to scrap yards isn’t available to many people I’ve met til now. They hardly know what a lathe is…
The same with the recommended motor power (2kw or so), in reality this is way to weak. So yeah, it would be nice that people get a clear picture before getting active, wasting their precious money on a project which doesn’t ‘pay’ out, except they are left alone with their first attempts. To me too, the main website creates quite an illusion that this is accessible to anyone. People should be also warned about ‘business expectations’. At least as long we don’t have a good network where we can pass recycled plastic back into
system in a more organized and established manner. I’m having a hard time explaining this to people, every time.

my 2 cents,
kind regards,
guenter

dedicated
04/06/2018 at 04:48

@geat, My shredder will cost about 950€ (excluding my work hours) with aluminium frame and new Motor 1100w 28 RPM and Inox Shredder. It could cost less but I will need to produce more unit at time.

Attachments:
Viewing 23 replies - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪