Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

recyclingstation inside a suitcase

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Scott 4 weeks ago.

recycled_in_a_suitcase_mo mowu

recyclingstation inside a suitcase

13/02/2017 at 19:23

I would like to share my work with you.

#recycledinasuitcase is a mobile injectionmachine, which is build to produce new plasticobjects. Plastic is a raw material to be found in the remote corner of our world.
Iceland is visited every year by five times more tourists than the island’s inhabitants. Many tourists produce a lot of garbage without being aware of the consequences. My question is whether it would not be much easier to get the garbage back from the island, in which you sell the tourist from this garbage a souvenir.

“Trashpony” is the name of the Islandsouvenier. It is modeled on an Icelandic horse, because after exporting a horse, it can not go back to the island because of health prevention.
Just like souvenirs, they will never return to the place where they were bought.

The manufactory is packed in a suitcase and can be put into operation everywhere and with small means. The case contains a closed circuit which combines all tasks for plastic recycling. As a result, production is just as mobile as spreading plastic waste. This creates the possibility to adapt to the respective place and to talk to people about the topic.

The equipment includes a shredder for crushing the plastic waste and a heated pipe for melting the produced plastic granulate. Different shapes can be filled manually with the liquefied plastic.

The trashpony stands for all the souvenir that still come in the coming months while I travel with the suitcase through Europe.
Feel free to share and see more photos of the project @
https://www.instagram.com/recycledinasuitcase/

starter
13/02/2017 at 19:25

the factory is open.

Attachments:
Toggle replies
helper
13/02/2017 at 20:12

Great project!
How is the injection machine powered?

Might be an idea to list your travel locations for others on the forum here (or instagram f.i.) who would be interested?

Toggle replies
warrior
13/02/2017 at 21:32

@mowu that’s a great project. how did you fit it inside a suitcase? would you mind sharing a video of it? im just baffled by thr idea of it…how?!? so many questions

Toggle replies
starter
13/02/2017 at 21:38

The injection is powered by hand it’s build out of the blueprints of Dave Hakkens.
Maybe I will post an video of the making of the suitcasefactory.
I will list the travel locations on instgram and maybe here. My first step of the journey takes me to the Netherlands, France, Spain and Portugal. The second half of the summer I would like to stay in the northern east of Europe.

Toggle replies
starter
13/02/2017 at 21:40

If you got questions feel free to ask!

Toggle replies
warrior
14/02/2017 at 00:27

@mowu is the handle detachable or foldable?

Toggle replies
warrior
14/02/2017 at 00:29

@mowu is the shredder from Dave’s design or a different version?

Toggle replies
dedicated
14/02/2017 at 14:42

1000Kr for a trashpony?

Wait that’s only 9USD.

Still seems a bit pricey.

Toggle replies
helper
14/02/2017 at 17:07

I disagree with that being pricey… You buy a unique object with a story including the performance of the production process.

Toggle replies
dedicated
15/02/2017 at 13:56

@siemenc

To us, yes. Particularly when you consider what went into producing the end product.

I was thinking of the average person seeing this who’s never heard of Precious Plastic, doesn’t particularly care about recycling, and is used to mass produced plastic c*** costing virtually nothing.

Toggle replies
helper
19/02/2017 at 13:40

Very cool idea! Keep it up!

Toggle replies
helper
22/02/2017 at 12:03

Hey @mowu,
If you don’t mind me asking, what did you use to make the shredder blades?
I’m looking at low-cost alternatives to Dave’s shredder… although his would be ideal!
I saw yours on instagram… looks great!

Toggle replies
helper
30/03/2017 at 06:35

Shredder blades look like blades/set from a paper/document-shredder?

Toggle replies
starter
22/10/2017 at 07:10

Seriously??? This is what I was looking for a mobile version to reach out remote villages in mountainous country like Nepal. I would appreciate to see your product’s specification in details if you don’t mind sharing. Sharing is Caring 😉

Toggle replies
helper
22/10/2017 at 10:34

@mowu it’s awesome I love how you’ve set it up, I’ve thought about somthing similar but you’ve nailed it

Do you have a video on YouTube?

Toggle replies
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.