We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Requesting Review of a Paper on Fumes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katharine Valentino 1 week ago.

Katharine Valentino plasticupcyclingkat

Requesting Review of a Paper on Fumes

09/09/2019 at 19:23

I have done the best I can, as a reasonably smart but unschooled (in this subject) person, to write a paper on fumes generated by Precious Plastic processes. I am seeking comments and corrections from people more knowledgeable than I am. I plan to post this, once it is accurate, at https://plasticupcycling.org.

Please review the document, which is in Google Docs HERE. If you know how to make comments in Google Docs, feel free. Or just send comments to me at [email protected]. THANK YOU!

2 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
09/09/2019 at 20:46

@plasticupcyclingkat , Thank you for going through a review cycle of your paper. Hopefully PP will also publish the results of their V4 fume study described here https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/v4-fume-extraction-4/ .  There are also a number of other threads on the topic.

From my personal experience with HDPE, unfortunately I did not find the recycling process benign. Working with an injection machine in a typical 2 car garage, with the door open, I found the fumes affected me temporarily (hopefully). I added a DIY fume extraction system and an additional fan to manage the fume issue.

The research I’ve done online, identifies the polyethylenes as lesser evils but not blessed as safe, especially once additives are considered. Hopefully you will also get some feedback from a chemical engineer, chemist, or biochemist.

new
11/09/2019 at 18:27

Thanks for the information, s2019. I completed this paper with concern about additives. I hope somebody will let me know how to research possible additives, or even specific additives that are being added to particular HDPE products.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪