We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Roof tiles from plastic waste

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 1 month ago.

Popescu Victor v-popescu87

Roof tiles from plastic waste

14/05/2019 at 15:14

I recently saw this YouTube video about turning plastic waste in to roof tiles:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_a48W6BcsE
This idea seems brilliant and I want to be able to do this in my own country as well. But i have a lot of questions in my mind and I would be very grateful if someone could help me with some answers. Any information is useful and I thank you all in advance.
First of all is this a really good idea? :)) Or the material would cause a lot of problems  and will not be suitable for building roofs.
I tried to get more information from the author of the video, but he did not respond.

19 replies
4 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
14/05/2019 at 18:21

Very interesting video.

By the look of it they simply use plastic to ‘glue’ together sand.

The fumes coming from the ‘dough’ have me somewhat woried though.

Not sure if this would overcome the UV-problems of plastic, but this can be solved with a coating (or maybe the sand is enough).

Good ‘Proof of concept’ of how to make an existing product, or how you can work with plastic ‘dough’ fortified with sand.

I personally would however go for Roof Tile 2.0, including some new features, like water heating or other ways to harvest solar power.

starter
14/05/2019 at 19:03

I tried to contact the bulgarian company that are manufacturing the machines  to ask for more information but they refuse to provide it. It seems they just want to sell those machines but they don’t know or they don’t want to provide more information about the final product (the roof tiles in this case). They just told me that the ratio between sand and plastic is 70% sand and 30% plastic. And the cost for one line of production 🙂 that is 38000 euro without shipping or installation.
Does anyone knows where can i find more information about this kind of tiles? On on youtube I came across another similar video:

I tried to find more things about Britanica Tiles on google but I did not find any relevant information
I found this video also:

starter
15/05/2019 at 13:38

Hey @v-popescu87,

You might want to check out this file by wasteaid:

Basically, you can apply the idea ot paving tiles to roof tiles. However, it is possible that this technique can lead to issues (tiles getting soft with heat b.e.).

Also, I’m wondering to what extend this new composite material is recyclable into new material (once the tiles are borken)? Does anyone has an input on this point?

starter
20/05/2019 at 04:47

It seems like the impurities of mixing sand with plastics will limit what you can do with a tile at the end of its life unless you can somehow separate the materials later.  That having been said, I’ve watched multiple videos about plastic paver tiles and plastic fencing that suggest they can conceivably last forever, even under harsh conditions.

As for the machines, the ones I’ve seen online look to be pretty much just larger extrusion and heat press machines.  You get the mixture out of the extruder and set it into the press in a custom mold, and out comes your tiles/pavers, or extrude the mixture into a fence-like molded beam.

You would need to experiment to see what works for you, but the comments I’ve read suggest that you want to experiment with HDPE (like milk jugs and plastic bottle caps) and river sand mixtures.

new
15/06/2019 at 06:11

I already do my own sample of paver blocks with a traditional way, just cook it with ratio 70:30, 70 for sands, and 30 for plastic. Later i will inform you about the compressive test.
There is research about this in wasteaid.com
I make this mixture basically from the research that wasteaid.com do and from other research. Hopefully it works. Another question is how to make machine that effective and efficient to reduce the man hour cost and productive,  any ideas?please inform me

My email: [email protected]

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Leonard Frans
Indonesia

Attachments:
warrior
15/06/2019 at 09:08

@feransye

Plastic paver block
(so people can also find your topic)

And the wesite of waste aid is https://wasteaid.org ?
The .com just leads to a domain squater…

starter
17/06/2019 at 18:48

Argh!  I was going to point out the same video.  I have known about it for about 2 years.

I saw another video that suggested  bricks and tiles can be made with a mixture of roughly 30% melted mixed plastics and 70% sand.  With Dave currently in the Maldives with a lot of plastic waste and sand easily available, this is something he and his crew should experiment with.  Instead of making plastic consumer goods that will likely return to the waste stream in a few years, one can sequester waste plastic away indefinitely by using them as binders for building materials.

Imagine making giant lego bricks the size of cinder blocks from sand and plastic, and using those for buildings.  They would be weather proof and would last for generations, and when the buildings are torn down, the lego bricks can either be used again, or can be broken down, melted, and used to make new giant lego bricks.

Here is a video play list I found of of people using melted plastic and sand to make building materials.

warrior
17/06/2019 at 19:05

Hi Mark @boingo ,

Thanks for the playlist, I was wondering what to watch tonight!

I think you are absolutely right that for the bulk of the waste creating building materials is the way to go.
I skimmed through the videos, and they show some very interesting techniques. Would not take any safety advise from them (damn), but mass production moulding with very simple means: point made.

starter
18/06/2019 at 22:07

@donald

I agree.  While I am not concerned about fumes from melting HDPE in the oven at 380F (195C) (Few to none. Just open the windows.), heating up plastics to the point where they turn black, go runny, and start smoking is horrifyingly unsafe.

Developing low cost machines where the plastics can be heated and combined with the sand safely would be a tremendous help. (Hint, hint, Dave.)

warrior
18/06/2019 at 22:31

You would also need to heat the sand, but maybe pre-mixing the (cold) plastic and sand might just work fine.
You might need a larger plastic to sand ratio than with a machine mixer, but that’s a small trade-off.

starter
24/06/2019 at 04:13

Another video.

warrior
24/06/2019 at 09:58

Mark, @boingo

Thanks, video also answers the ‘how do you mix’ question.
Pretty obvious, but good to see it in action with some additional explaination 🙂

Should also contain all the answers @v-popescu87 needs:
First of all is this a really good idea? yes
Or the material would cause a lot of problems and will not be suitable for building roofs. No, material is suitable.
I tried to get more information from the author of the video, but he did not respond. Try contacting this guy ( https://www.planetaryecologist.com )

And of course report back anything you learn from him 😉

starter
24/06/2019 at 10:17

I’ve already tried to contact him by email and I’ve used Facebook messaging also, but with no result 😐

warrior
24/06/2019 at 10:22

@v-popescu87
Is this the same guy/setup as your original video?
It looks similar, but I thought it was another setup.

Let me see what I can do, maybe there are some ‘backchannels’ or somebody to find that already has the information…

starter
24/06/2019 at 10:37

No, in my original video it was just a presentation of the equipment, and the guy is from a Bulgarian company that manufactures the equipment. They are only interested in selling their products, and they do not want to provide any other information.

warrior
24/06/2019 at 10:56

Okay, well maybe one of the users of the machines is willing to tell more.

If Bulgaria is not willing to ‘share’, it is their loss.
Potential customers will just go elsewhere or build it themselves 😉

starter
19/07/2019 at 00:55

I’m sorry to dredge this thread up again, but I figure this video is relevant.

It is not roof tiles, but lego like bricks used in construction.
I believe these are also a mixture of polymer and sand.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.