Whats the health hazards working with PS, PET?
The internet says that those plastics are hazardous.
Should I work with it?
@rudolfsskuja Neither PET or PS are toxic if you melt them are their normal melting temperatures but it is still recommended to work with them (and any other plastic) in a ventilated area if you are going to melt them.
If burnt, PET will release: Aldehyde CO, CO2, ethylene , benzene, biphenyl
More info: https://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/39405.pdf
If burnt, PS will release Styrene gas (among other elements), which is a carcinogen that can be easily absorbed through the skin.
In addition to olivier’s post, there are some plastics such as PVC that in any chemical process (melt at correct Cº and also when burned) releases toxic fumes. Others, such as the ones you’ve mentioned, only release toxic fumes WHEN BURNED. If you are working at correct melting degrees, you will have no problem.
In all the cases is highly recommended to work in a ventilated area.
Thank you for the information! It was very helpful.
I have another question that is bothering me- what chemicals does the plastic release when it’s heated? I know that there is this smell, but what couses it?
Also is there any other information about the chemical composition in the fumes and the plastic( other types like PE, PP)?
Hi guys, thank you for these inputs. I was also very curious about fumes after melting specific types of plastic. Do you know any sources about effects, fumes, hazard of melitng HDPE(2) and PP(5).
Thank you very much, Martin
I heat LDPE/ HDPE plastic bags and mould them into various shapes using a heating gun. Wondering what masks/filters would be suitable to wear for this? Any recommendations? Would really help!
I’ve got a thread going here about air quality.
Only the person that made the plastic knows for sure whats was in that batch of plastic.Items not meant to ever be eaten get mixed into our food supply daily, sometimes, even on accident.Anyone that tells you drinking water from a plastic cup is safe means to say, it is safe depending on what the plastic was made from.And whats in the water….Never remold kitchenware from recycled plastic.. It’s just not worth the risk. In many parts of the world people burn trash, melting plastic can’t be as bad as that, so just use caution.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.