We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

SD-Card reader block

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Konnaz 5 years ago.

Sion sion

SD-Card reader block

29/09/2014 at 16:19

A block where you can put a tiny SD-Card to get extra storage, up to 64 GB (or more in the future?).

6 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: SD-Card reader block

30/09/2014 at 04:13

A new picture of a Project ARA module has been posted online. The module is the main hardware needed to run (CPU, RAM, system storage etc). The cool thing about it though, is that the system storage is actually in the form of a micro SD card. Now if they are able to support up to 128GB, if they also had a micro SD card reader you could have up to 256GB+ of storage on your phone.

30/09/2014 at 04:30

Konnaz wrote: The module is the main hardware needed to run (CPU, RAM, system storage etc). What’s the point of modular phones when all the vital parts are going to be in a single module?

30/09/2014 at 06:15

2Bran wrote: What’s the point of modular phones when all the vital parts are going to be in a single module? So I’m a bit lost here Jawn…you do realize that single die central modules like this while I bet will exist in the modular portable electronic device future, will not be the end all, be all in modularity/design?During prototyping this is more being shown as proof of progress in enclosed module prototypes and in miniaturization.I’m more excited about the customization and choice this will provide users in the realm of cell/wifi/nfc radios, dacs, graphics processing modules.

30/09/2014 at 06:27

8064r7 wrote: So I’m a bit lost here Jawn…you do realize that single die central modules like this while I bet will exist in the modular portable electronic device future, will not be the end all, be all in modularity/design?During prototyping this is more being shown as proof of progress in enclosed module prototypes and in miniaturization.I’m more excited about the customization and choice this will provide users in the realm of cell/wifi/nfc radios, dacs, graphics processing modules. While it’s true that having the guts in one single slot will allow for more additions to the hardware in other slots, it ignores the main purposes and advantages of modular phones, as described in the phonebloks introductory video: to reduce electronic waste by not having to throw out components that aren’t faulty, to be able to replace individual elements, and the ability to upgrade specific parts, etc. Sure, having more possibilities for features and hardware is a nice extra, and it supports the idea of having more custom phones, but it eliminates those other three purposes that were supposed to be the main selling point or advantages of phonebloks. As I see it, anyway.

30/09/2014 at 06:32

Phonebloks is the meta community and I agree wholeheartedly with how you accurately described their cause/mission.I was specifically attesting to the picture from project ara, whose project is a bit more focused in proofing towards a production ready industry standard for manufacturers to conform to as P.E.D. modularity heats up as a market.

30/09/2014 at 10:02

While I get your point about it being a fully modular phone, and would love to see it myself. It just isn’t physically possible at this time. I’m not saying that it can’t happen but we won’t be seeing a hot-swappable RAM module anytime soon.Just a few reasons as to why:The CPU and RAM in phones are actually in a single chip, called the SoC (System on a Chip). So it’s not actually like a normal computer where all the parts are separate. They use these chips because they have lower power consumption, therefore better for mobile devices. It doesn’t say anything about the GPU being in a SoC so maybe that might be possible.The second reason is around Latency. That is the speed that packets of data can be transmitted around a circuit. At the moment the protocols used can’t transmit the information fast enough. That’s why everything is directly connected on the same board. It would be like trying to connect the CPU to the motherboard in your PC by using USB 3 etc.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪