We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredded plastic is picking up a static charge

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Free Plastic 5 days ago.

Simon Morrison simonm

Shredded plastic is picking up a static charge

13/09/2019 at 06:52

Hi all,

I have just connected my shredder to an electric motor and have started shredding some HDPE plastic.

I am finding that the shredded plastic is picking up a static charge which is making it go all over the place.  I have done a quick video here – https://youtu.be/Lf5EK7vnLbs

Is there any way to disipate this static charge, or is it something that I just have to live with?

Thanks

Simon

4 replies
3 subscribers
0 saved
new
13/09/2019 at 10:20

Hey there,
I guess you did already but please check that you have to connect the earth/ground from your wall plug to the shredder frame. Make really sure there is ground coming from the wall plug and check also your cables with a flow test or multi-meter.

I hope this makes sense, if not please ask, and it’s given 🙂

starter
20/01/2020 at 18:28

Were you able to find a solution to reduce or dissipate the static charge.  I am having a similar issue.

helper
21/01/2020 at 00:17

Unfortunately, no.

Based on the first reply I contacted the electrical engineer that had wired up my motor and he assured me that it was properly earthed.

I then took another approach.  Where I shred is close to the earth grounding rod for our house, so I ran a cable directly from the earth rod to the machine and I still had a build-up of static.

starter
29/06/2020 at 02:57

We had the exact same problem. We are using couplings to connect the axles from the gearbox to the shredder box, so I don’t think the shredder box was actually grounded. We solved it by running a wire from a bolt on the shredder box directly to the motor’s ground (grounding the shredder box).

Not only did it kill the static charge, but it also sped up the shredding process by removing the buildup on top of the blades and gave us larger sized mulch instead of a fine “snow”.

I hope this helps!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪