We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredded plastic is picking up a static charge

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Morrison 1 month ago.

Simon Morrison simonm

Shredded plastic is picking up a static charge

13/09/2019 at 06:52

Hi all,

I have just connected my shredder to an electric motor and have started shredding some HDPE plastic.

I am finding that the shredded plastic is picking up a static charge which is making it go all over the place.  I have done a quick video here – https://youtu.be/Lf5EK7vnLbs

Is there any way to disipate this static charge, or is it something that I just have to live with?

Thanks

Simon

3 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
new
13/09/2019 at 10:20

Hey there,
I guess you did already but please check that you have to connect the earth/ground from your wall plug to the shredder frame. Make really sure there is ground coming from the wall plug and check also your cables with a flow test or multi-meter.

I hope this makes sense, if not please ask, and it’s given 🙂

starter
20/01/2020 at 18:28

Were you able to find a solution to reduce or dissipate the static charge.  I am having a similar issue.

helper
21/01/2020 at 00:17

Unfortunately, no.

Based on the first reply I contacted the electrical engineer that had wired up my motor and he assured me that it was properly earthed.

I then took another approach.  Where I shred is close to the earth grounding rod for our house, so I ran a cable directly from the earth rod to the machine and I still had a build-up of static.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪