Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder blade design, why this design?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Hakkens 4 months ago.

Arjen arrow1800

Shredder blade design, why this design?

16/07/2017 at 13:55

Hi Guys,

After reading a lot about the precious plastics project and about shredders in general (which i want to start with building), i keep wondering why the design of the shredder blades differs so much of shredders in general found on youtube.

Can anyone tell me why the shape of the blades is this way? (thickness as well as shape) ?

And last but not least, why one axis? besides costs/complexity offcourse:)

Just thinking everything well through before buying parts!

Thnx

starter
18/07/2017 at 19:50

Anybody? Please share you thoughts folks! 😀

Toggle replies
helper
13/08/2017 at 00:07

@arrow1800

Did you ever find out? I’m looking at the plans and am wondering about those thicknesses. Why are these different? Does anybody know?
Did you find any other shapes of blades?

Regarding the axis I guess you answered yourself. I would think it would add too much to the complexity.

Toggle replies
helper
13/08/2017 at 00:10

There’s some other topics where people are wondering the same. And I haven’t gotten through all of them but in the ones I did, I couldn’t find an answer either.

Toggle replies
warrior
13/08/2017 at 01:24

Hi @arrow1800 and @siemenc

Shredder blades are the way they are after many experiments. Mainly finding a balance between pulling in enough “new” plastic to shred but not too much so the motor can’t handle it.
And the ticker the blades the stronger, but also the bigger the flake output.
This size worked could for us considering the output we are aiming for vs the strength we need.

1 Axe shredder is indeed to avoid complexity as much as we can and easier/more affordable to build

Toggle replies
helper
13/08/2017 at 01:30

Hi @davehakkens,
Thanks for clearing that up. Did the blades bend in your experiments with using 5 mm thickness steel instead of 6?

Toggle replies
warrior
13/08/2017 at 01:37

When we treated it (super) rough a few bended, so just to be safe we went for 6.

Toggle replies
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.