We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder blades

This topic contains 13 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Halim Widya Kusuma 3 months ago.

Rick anvil

Shredder blades

26/05/2016 at 19:26

wondering why stainless steel is used. Looking at making these in a developing country. Is there any reason any cold rolled steel could not be used? what about leaf springs. the have a high carbon contact and are hardened.

13 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Shredder blades

new
30/05/2016 at 16:32

Great question, we are in Cameroon and do not have access to stainless. So it will have to be another type of steel. Hopefully, someone will have some experiences to share.
ethan

starter
31/05/2016 at 23:17

what if the blades whre made in plastic to?

helper
02/06/2016 at 03:35

This question has been ask a few times now, the use of stainless steel is optional. As mentioned in the download kit

Regarding plastic blades, I have see a video on YouTube of a mini shredder built with plastic blades actually I think the whole shredder was 3D printed, a bit of a gimmick, it worked, however very limited in what it could shred. Just not practical 🙂

starter
03/06/2016 at 09:34

Hi everybody! @enviro do you think it’s possible to shredded plastic PET bottles with Dave’s blade made of PLA or ABS?

thanks

starter
20/07/2016 at 19:41

Hello guys,

I don’t think you would have very much luck 3D printing the parts for the shredder and trying to shred plastic bottles (PET).

However, something interesting for some people might be looking into “lost PLA casting” as mentioned here:

http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

The idea being that you 3d print the parts out to make a mold, then mold them out of aluminum (steel casting is a bit more work, much higher temps)

Just a thought. However, you would likely still need to machine some of the cast surfaces to allow for good motion.

It would be a long process, but, then again, I love thinking in out of the box roundabout ways.

dedicated
17/02/2017 at 00:39

Hi, I’m doing a bit of research on this matter, I found these interesting links about materials for blades and hardening treatments:

http://www.mastercut.co.uk/industrial-blades-steel_25.html

http://www.abcoffice.com/office-equipment-news/2013/07/what-are-shredder-blades-cutting-cylinders-and-rollers-made-from/

At the end of the day I believe it’ll be down to your budget and what you have around. Sure the shreder will shred with just mild steel if you have a low budget, but if you can afford hardened steel it will have a longer life and require less maintenance. On that basis, you don’t have to use stainless steel but it’d be good if you can.

dedicated
17/02/2017 at 03:58

Hello guys the stainless steel is optional but someone mention that parts made out of regular steel (cold roll) will get rust with time depending how moisture is your place which will contaminate the plastic. just a thought

dedicated
20/02/2017 at 12:28

Mild steel would need to get zinc plated, and I believe that would still be cheaper than stainless, but probably not as durable.

starter
22/02/2017 at 19:03

I’d be surprised if you could 3D print plastic parts cheaper than having them cut from steel (unless you get free access to 3D printer and 3D print material).

I don’t think zinc (galvanized) steel would gain you much because the zinc wear and you’re left with mild steel. Also keep in mind galvanized steel generally has slightly different dimensions (since it’s mild steel + zinc plated).

Another option might be paint/coating (powdercoating/anodizing). Plastic isn’t terribly hard, so you could probably find some pretty good wear resistant paint that would last a reasonable length of time.

starter
29/06/2018 at 17:03

Hi All,

I found this website that provides a variety of instructional videos and, I found two pages that show simple and cost effective DIY plastic shredders. Maybe someone will find them useful.

http://www.instructables.com/id/50-Plastic-Shredder-Grinder-Recycler/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Plastic-shredder-for-making-3D-printer-filament/

starter
14/07/2018 at 08:46

hi guys! im from one of the provinces in the Philippines and dont have access to SS so what we used for our shredder was medium carbon steel which is cheap in our area.
and our machine worked fine.

starter
06/08/2018 at 23:56

Leaf Springs from Cars as shredder blades.  Going back to an early idea of using leaf springs in third world contries  It sounds like a good idea as per the steel type, as spring steel are generally 5100 series steel which should be excellent or that purpose.  However when re-using springs, ie, flat leaf springs from cars, which are already hardened may cause some processing issues unless you have some blacksmithing equipment and a source of heat like a propane forge for example.
I would envision the leaf to be cut into pieces for the blades and opposing parts with a cut off wheel on a hand grinder, then these parts would need to be heated red hot and forged until reasonably flat and to the right thickness.  Finally a hexagon tool would be required to make the inner hole if the current design is to be followed.  Not impossible but very labour intensive, perhaps Ok when you don`t have any other options…  You will need to be a pretty good craftsman to do that, then again a friend of mine routinely forges blades by hand often using old files or leaf springs from cars.  Be safe if you intend to go this route!

helper
08/08/2018 at 03:52

hi @ismaelgonzalez, you can find topic about shredder-blade-hack-cheaper here

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.