We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder Electronics

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Adam 3 years ago.

NCSSM jisrael

Shredder Electronics

13/03/2017 at 01:04

In the shredder video Mr. Hakkens makes reference to an electronics video, but I can’t seem to find this, or any specific instructions in the zip file. Is this largely reliant on the type of motor used?

Thanks!

6 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Shredder Electronics

helper
13/03/2017 at 02:23

yes, it is dependant on type the motor you use, amperage/current being one reason, you’l need components that can take the load.

this video should send you on the right track

starter
13/03/2017 at 03:13

Thanks very much! Did you find that a 2.2 kilowatt/ 2hp motor was required to make the shredder or can we use a less powerful one?

helper
13/03/2017 at 13:11

glad you asked, what i found was its all in the Gearing, i didn’t have the money/or knowledge of retailers to buy a singular motor and gearbox and electronics, so i brought a used a garden mulcher from ebay, and dismantled its motor from its casing with the electronics. which so far has worked perfect.

hope this helps you on your way to building a shredder 🙂

starter
13/03/2017 at 21:39

Personally if it were me, I would lean toward oversizing the motor/torque requirements than getting too little. Last thing you want to do is lock-up the motor, and you’ll take a LOT of torque to break any components inside the machine.

I really like my 3-phase motor with VFD, and was about the same price as a single phase motor without a VFD.

starter
14/03/2017 at 22:09

@wess – Sure, a 3 phase motor would be ideal, but most household/users only have access to single phase without an expensive upgrade from their power-company.

AFAIK the single phase engine @kettlekekkers use delivers a torque in the 400-500 Nm range and should do the trick even though stonker is always better.

helper
15/03/2017 at 13:23

not forgetting, the idea is to find a cheaper alternative, especially in countries where its hard to find secondhand industrial AC motors and all the required accessories.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪