We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder build log – Precious Plastic Vienna

This topic contains 32 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Flo 1 year ago.

Flo flo-2

Shredder build log – Precious Plastic Vienna

17/03/2017 at 20:58

Hi there!

In this post you can see the developement of our shredder from the beginning! Take a look:

I have now passed the point of no return where I bought the majority of the components (based on price), so I decided to start a topic on my building development 😀

(18.03.)The next step will be to sand the parts (1/3 done) and construct (+ weld) the shredding unit.
(24.03.)The next step will be to find and buy a suitable motor for a budget price and to weld the shredding unit.
(20.04.)Next steps: Buy the iron parts for the base(EDIT 23.04.: DONE 🙂 ), weld them, have the stainless steel parts welded and have an adapter fot the motor turned.
(29.06.)The remaining steps are:
– lasercut a hopper and the electronics-box out of plexiglasDONE
buy a C13-circuitbreaker for my breaker box + have it installed
– add the ON/OFF-button, emergencystopbutton and amperemeter to the shredder
– put the whole thing together
– shred the many many kilos of plastic that I have lying around in drawers and my basement 😀

I’ll keep you updated!

Attachments:
32 replies
3 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
21/03/2017 at 11:00

congrats! nice start. Did you laser cut in Austria? That’s a bargain for laser cutting 😉

new
21/03/2017 at 17:54

Hallo Flo,

Ich bin auch aus Wien (1220)

Maybe we can shred some HDPE/PP with your shredder some day?
Have you already built any of the other machines?
I am in the process of designing a modified injection machine to work with at school (I am a TWE teacher).
I would like to do parts for Kicker tables (balls…we have 4 Kicker tables at school [even a schoolbuilt one for 6 players] and are always out of balls, glidebearings, players,…) and other stuff with my pupils.
My first injection molder had not good enough contact between the nozzle and the tube so the nozzle didn’t heat up.
My lathe is too small to do threading on wider pipes and I don’t want to weld the nozzle to the tube so I do have access from the front if necessary.
So here is what I came up with to have the ability change nozzles and also have a method of mounting the tool.

Cheers Marcus

Attachments:
warrior
25/03/2017 at 00:03

@z11aalex Thanks! I ordered on 247tailorsteel.com (german/dutch company)

@marcusk Sure! I wrote you a PM 🙂 Maybe start your own topic with your creation too, this way others can find it more easily!

warrior
25/03/2017 at 00:11

UPDATE 24.03.17:

– sanded the parts (4,5 hours 🙁 )
– drilled holes into the iron angles
– assembled the shredder

Next up:

– Attach iron angles to shredder
– find a motor (no more than 200€)
– buy steel for the base
– weld + assemble everything

Important:
– develop security mechanisms

Attachments:
new
25/03/2017 at 01:04

That’s awesome that you started it on your own! Do you know how much energy it consumes on average? Is the machine energy efficient?

starter
20/04/2017 at 10:57

Hey @flo-2

it´s really nice to see the progress of your project!
I´m also from Austria (Graz) and would like to know where you bought your bearings and the hexbar?

warrior
20/04/2017 at 14:03

@violet110 My motor is capable of running at 2,2kW, however a motor will always take only so much energy it really needs. So if the shredder is running, for sure it won’t use the full 2,2 kW. (at least that’s what I’ve been told)

Hey @lukas_lang
Thank you! I will be posting the next update in a few minutes! 😀
I ordered the bearings at Conrad: https://www.conrad.at/de/flanschlager-ubc-bearing-grauguss-ucfl-204-bohrungs-o-20-mm-lochabstand-90-mm-197022.html?insert=U3&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=sea_9_Shopping&gclid=CI2x9YT-stMCFWgq0wodyp4DDw
the raw material for the hexbar (€11,18) I bought at a metal store called “Petzolt” in the seventh district of Vienna, and I had it turned at my turner’s workshop mor or less around the corner 😉 (€20,00)

starter
20/04/2017 at 14:50

Thank you for your fast response and the link @flo-2!
I got an offer from an austrian company for 20€ for the hex-bar with shipping, so this price should be fine 🙂

I am looking forward to your update!

warrior
20/04/2017 at 15:24

UPDATE 20.04.17:
I finally bought a motor! 😀 After too many hours of resultless searching, calling, writing emails and asking around, I decided to go for a brand new motor. I first went to “Pfeiffer Elektromotoren”, where I thought I could get a used one too, however it turned out they don’t sell used reductors, because usually when they are damaged, it’s too expensive to repair them. So he showed me a 2,2kW motor with the fitting worm gear for it, however the price was waaay too high (795€, with all the discount he could give 640€), so I went home without anything. When asking at “Moll Motor” in Stockerau near Vienna, the price was about the same (about 600€ with discount), however they have a subsidary company which sells less expensive motors. There a 2,2kW Motor with reducer only cost 600€ normal price, however they gave me 25% discount and so I paid 441€ for my 37 kg beast 😀 Although I originally wanted to stay below 200€ for the motor, I now have a guaranteed working motor which fits exactly my needs and will last at least 10 years, so I can sell it again too if I ever get bored with shredding plastic 😉

– today I was at my turner’s office and requested the connection between the motor (35mm diameter hole) and the axe of the shredder (20mm axe), which isn’t going to be as easy as I thought…
My motor can “produce” up to 280 Nm, so the connection piece has to connect the two components so good, that it won’t be the weakest link and can withstand the force. The one side is easy, there I just need a 35mm axe with a tongue on one side. On the other side, he has to shape a bowl-like-figure, where a special ring fits in, whose screws can loosen and extend both it’s inner and outer diameter.(Too complicated?) This way the part can withstand ~500Nm of torque, the only downside is, that this part costs another 100€ :’D

– tomorrow I will buy the parts for the Iron base and I fear they will cost another 150€ 🙁 Then my total expenses will be at ~1100€, that’s two months of salary D: (I’m currently doing civil service)
-the last remaining thing I cannot do myself is the welding of the stainless steel parts (On the shredding unit), I hope that I will get this for free somewhere…

– Then finally I can assemble the whole thing (maybe I will add wheels to it) and then FINALLY I hope to be able to begin shredding mid/end of may! I cant await it! 😀

I’ll keep you updated!

Attachments:
warrior
20/04/2017 at 15:33

A better picture of thy type plate, a full motor view and a size comparison 😉

Attachments:
helper
20/04/2017 at 15:58

man! that looks awesom;)
well yes the motor, hard to find the right one. i’m also searching one:))

for the metal construction you can contact maker austria http://www.makeraustria.at/ or werkimpuls http://www.werkimpuls.at/category/mitmachen/
as far as i know these two spaces have tools to work with metal.
i think there are people who are willing to help out.

keep pace!
carl

warrior
20/04/2017 at 20:42

Well done guys!
Keep it up.

Looking forward to see some plastic being shred.

starter
25/04/2017 at 15:39

Hey Flo 🙂
Looks very nice how far you already are! Keep going!
I have a question concerning to your Motor. On the label it says it have 1400 RPM, how you’re going to reduce it to your needs?

Thank you for your answer!
Norbert

warrior
28/04/2017 at 17:03

@carlf Thanks for the info, unfortunately one of them is closed to non-regular-paying people and the others cannot weld yet, however in my ex-school the have the right tools! 😀

@mattia-io Thank you! 😀

Hi @norbert-vas ! Thanks! 🙂

I’ll do that with the reducer already attached to the motor (can be seen in the pictures) where i=25, so the output will be ~56 rpm.

You’re welcome 😉
Flo

warrior
28/04/2017 at 21:07

UPDATE 28.04.17:
I connected the electronics ( + switch for direction change) and the motor should work, however I wasn’t yet able to test it properly, because the motor needs 13.2A in normal service but about double the Amps in the first few seconds. Unfortunately that’s too much for my 16 Amp fuse… :/ So maybe I will need a 25A fuse and an extra plug linked to it, let’s see… 😀

starter
03/05/2017 at 17:04

Hey @flo-2 may I ask you what you mean with “I’ll do that with the reducer already attached to the motor (can be seen in the pictures) where i=25, so the output will be ~56 rpm.” Maybe you can tell us some more Details about the reducer, like where to buy one (link) and how to connect with the motor.
Thank you so far!

Lukas

warrior
03/05/2017 at 21:19

@lukas_lang @norbert-vas

Sure!
For simplicity’s sake I will explain in German:
Schaut euch das letzte Bild an, das ich hochgeladen hab.
Das zylinderförmige Teil links oben mit der schwarzen Box dran ist der Motor. Der hat 1400 Umdrehungen pro Minute und saugt bis zu 2,2 kW. Daran angeschraubt ist das Getriebe (reducer), das Quaderförmige Ding rechts oben. Dessen Aufgabe ist es, die 1400 Umdrehungen auf ca. 56 Umdrehungen pro Minute zu drosseln. Stichwort Übersetzung i=25 gibt hier das Übersetzungsverhältnis an, in diesem Fall 25:1; d.h. pro 25 Umdrehungen der einen Seite macht die andere Seite nur eine Umdrehung. Logisch? 🙂
1400/25 ergibt dann 56 Umdrehungen als Output bei einem Input von 1400 Umdrehungen. Wenn immernoch was unklar ist, schreib mir gern eine PM 😉
I hope this is helping you out!
If someone desperately wants to know what all that means, I can of course try to translate 😉

warrior
14/06/2017 at 16:14

UPDATE 13.06.2017:

– After a long month of waiting for a crucial part for my shredder, where the supplier sort of overlooked my order TWICE o.O, I am now finally on the finish line and should be able to shred in 1-2 weeks! Yaay! 😀
Today I picked up the small part which is needed for the connection between motor and shredding unit and I also did the first half of the welding! (Second half is up next week.) Also this was my first time welding ever. 🙂
Today I am getting a tutorial on how to use the lasercutter at “Happylab” (a makerspace in my town) where I will cut both the hopper and the electronics box out of plexiglas.

On the last picture you can see my connection between motor and shredder. It basically consists of the shredding axe with a ring on it (the screws you see) and the turned rest that fits into the reducer of the motor. In case you wonder, that ring is able to withstand up to ~500Nm and my shredder outputs roughly 280Nm, so that connection won’t be the weakest link for sure.

Also I’ve reassorted the cutting knifes due to many recommendations to do so and I have sharpened the knifes with a file.

Attachments:
warrior
14/06/2017 at 16:18

Also, I couldn’t await trying to shred, so I did some testing by hand (wow, the sharpening really makes a huge difference in shredding ease) and this is the result I ended with (for now without sieve).

I’ll keep you updated! 🙂

Attachments:
warrior
29/06/2017 at 15:32

UPDATE 29.06.2017:

Welding is complete, I drilled half of the holes into the framework, mounted angle irons as feet and mounted the sieve to the shredder. (see pictures) Since the right angles of my iron parts weren’t right angles (obtuse angles) and I didn’t want to flex so much, I just used two spare pieces and turned the others around. 😀 looks good too!

Attachments:
warrior
30/06/2017 at 11:33

@flo-2,

First of all, good job. This looks nice and planned well, especially if you were making it alone. It took us roughly a month to plan and gather all the components and managed to build it in one day.

What are you building next?

warrior
30/06/2017 at 11:57

@jegor-m
Thanks a lot! Wow, a day to put together? That’s amazing! How many people were you?
If I would have worked full time on this project, I probably would have been able to complete it in under 2 months, however until May I had 40 hours of civil service per week and in June I had to do all the things I wasn’t able to do during civil service. Now in July it should go well, but I NEED someone to help me, because the whole thing weighs 60kg+ and I really don’t want to risk something falling on my toe etc.

After having finished the shredder, I will buy and modify a heat press (the one you use for printing T-shirts to produce plates. Hopefully I can then sell these plates to get other people to use recycled materials (and maybe get some of the invested money back). 😉

warrior
30/06/2017 at 14:31

This topic isn’t listed in the moment. Does another comment change that?Went into the spamfilter 😀

warrior
17/08/2017 at 20:46

UPDATE 17.08.2017:
Finally things look near-to-finish like! 😀
I mounted shredding unit and motor to the base after attatching wheels to it in order to make the moving around easier.
I constructed my plexiglass hopper and ordered the final electronics parts.

So I still need to…
– …mount the hopper to the shredder
– …connect the electronics
– …have a circuit braker installed

Aand I bought a heat press which arrived TODAY 😀 First experiments in another topic! 🙂

Attachments:
warrior
29/08/2017 at 17:02

@flo-2,

got any updates about this sweet machine?
also, have you got the netting under the shredder installed as well??

warrior
07/09/2017 at 10:49

@jegor-m actually yes, I do have some updates!
I have connected the electronics (Emergency Stop, Amperemeter and ON/OFF Switch) so basically it’s ready to plug in! I’ve also come up with an idea on how to mount the plexiglass hopper so that I can still remove it. The hopper will be “foldable” because of a hinge. I have also organised some buckets to store the plastic.

Attachments:
warrior
09/09/2017 at 11:51

FINALLY!!!! IT’S WORKING!
sorry for caps 🙂 I’m just reeeally excited, since I worked on this thing for roughly half a year now. Fotos (+ video? ) will follow(EDIT some time in the future)! 😀

starter
18/10/2017 at 15:56

@flo-2 nice work man … i’m aimming to make it fully automated and i have some ideas to apply it

warrior
20/10/2017 at 22:46

@adellokman Thanks! 🙂 Wow, sounds interesting!

warrior
04/02/2018 at 00:44

It has been a while since the last update, but many things happened!

1) I am no longer working alone, we are now 4! ( @peterpane3000 , @plasticcruncher , Alon and me)

2) We finally have a workspace! In a co-working space we rent some squaremetres to store and use our machines!

3) From yesterday on we experimented a lot and will do so even more, pictures will follow!

and 4) we will build more machines! (we currently have a shredder and a 38x38cm sheet press) not sure yet what we will build but definetely some form of compression oven. We’ll keep you updated!

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪