We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder jams…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michael 3 months ago.

Rick Sanders ricksanders

Shredder jams…

03/07/2019 at 19:10

Hi. I have built a shredder from Precious Plastics blueprints. Power by a 1.5kw 70 rpm motor and has a mesh underneath. I used it for the first time today and experienced some jamming when just trying to shred an HDPE milk bottle. no reverse on the motor so had to dismantle! can anyone suggest why its jamming and possible fixes? Is there a better configuration of the cutting teeth or using it without the mesh that will help? Thanks…..

7 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Shredder jams…

warrior
03/07/2019 at 20:32

I don’t have a PP shredder but could you grab the coupling with a strap wrench to drive it backwards to un-jam? Or if you have it apart, machine some flats on the end of the hexbar to be able to get a wrench on it?

new
03/07/2019 at 20:36

please post a picture of the motor blade, also open the wire box to see the terminals. thanks.

starter
18/07/2019 at 20:04

Hi Pex12,

Sorry it’s been a while but been out of the workshop. I have added photos as suggested and also noted an electrical fault, which is being looked at tomorrow, but any advice you can give on the teeth set up and general ways to avoid jamming plastic int he space I would really appreciate it!! Thanks. Rick

Attachments:

new
18/07/2019 at 22:00

Hi, judging by the capacitors size it seems really under-powered. Here again a few links about motors.

starter
19/07/2019 at 09:55

Ah ok. Well that’s a bit worrying. I will check it out with the electrician and see what can be done….thanks for the feedback.

new
19/07/2019 at 10:22

get just a stronger motor; looking at the cables and capacitors, there is no electrician who can fix this.

starter
21/08/2019 at 16:50

This is commom problem with PP shredder, the torque output on a typlcal gear box that you may have is around 150Nm-200Nm which isnt enough. You will notice if  you shred thin items upright it will shred beautifully but if it lies flat, the shredding surface area increased and not enough torque to break the plastic along all the teeeth that need to shred. Either you can have a auto-reverse built in. Our compnay build shredders that auto-reverse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKlQxIoyFA. Another approach we took is to put the same motor but by an in-line gearbox, these output torque around 300-450Nm

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪