We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder Version 2.0

This topic contains 52 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Hakkens 3 years ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Shredder Version 2.0

11/06/2015 at 11:15

The original shredder we used was a modified one which we found somewhere. The outcome of this machine is great (image attached.) However we need to have a DIY version which is easy to re-build anywhere in the world..

There are different techniques to shred plastic. We’re going to prototype and find out.
Here some interesting videos we came along of shredders
shredder 1 shredder 2 shredder 3 shredder 4 shredder 5 shredder 6 shredder 7 shredder 8

Attachments:
52 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Shredder Version 2.0

helper
20/01/2015 at 11:11

First drawing of the shredder. Using low speed and metal blades to shred the plastic into small pieces

warrior
09/02/2015 at 10:00

Watter cutted blades for the shredder

Attachments:

warrior
10/03/2015 at 12:03

Prototyping a 2 axe shredder based on the Filamaker.

Attachments:

warrior
25/03/2015 at 12:08

First testrun with the shredder, to bad it doesn’t shred. We need to finetune the blades and put them in cutting-mode.

warrior
10/06/2015 at 12:21

Trying out a different direction. Although we got the other shredder working. It became quite expensive and needed advances tooling to make it. Also the output was still to large for what we wanted. Now we’re looking into the world of granulators. Using higher speed and blades to chop the plastic into small pieces.

Attachments:

starter
15/06/2015 at 05:40

Plastic objects were getting ripped by the straight blades but then stuck up between them, we came up with the idea of making blades with “L shape” metal strips to reduce the gaps between them.

starter
16/06/2015 at 17:01

“L Shape Blades” can be produced welding metal strips to angle strips.

Attachments:

helper
16/06/2015 at 21:00

idea?
at least something to think about.
the red part is rotating, added some holes as a sieve or screen in the static tube, for the small parts to fall trough…..

Attachments:

30/06/2015 at 16:44

where can I buy this shredder or some one please help me build this shredder for me

starter
01/07/2015 at 07:50

The shredder is ready for testing, we’ll make different blades to find the best one.

Attachments:

starter
11/07/2015 at 21:01

Hello Samson,

We are currently developing this shredder, please stay in contact for future updates.

This model was coupled to a 450 W electric motor and were able to obtain a couple of granulates from a plastic bottle but we will improve the blades design to be more efficient at cutting.

13/07/2015 at 12:07

Hello there!

I come here searching information for a home-based plastic recycling machine. I thought that it was a good idea to have such kind of machine and I was starting to explore the possibility to build one my self… but it seems that you guys are way ahead, and you have a lot more know-how and tools. So I will let you do the hard job and maybe try to help if I can. Let’s make clear I am just a cell biologist with some DiY passion, but not engineer experience whatsoever… But if you like I can share some of my thoughts here hoping it will help.

Regarding the shredder have you considered alternative mechanisms to the blades? I was thinking that it would be easier to flat the plastic and then punching holes on it, or use a “grater” instead of a shredder…

starter
27/07/2015 at 16:53

OK, We are shredding. There is a 450 W motor doing a great job cutting plastic into little pieces but still can’t take complete PET bottles. We will replace the motor to double the power and add some weight to the flying wheel.

Attachments:

warrior
30/07/2015 at 22:07

@keesdeligt did a test to use saw-blades in the shredder, 7 welded on an axe spinning like madness. Although it sounds and looks promising, it’s not. The blades are cutting to intense, to much power is needed to keep everything running smoothly. Also lots of noise

Attachments:

warrior
02/08/2015 at 15:58

Thanks for the thoughts. Might be a way to go..have you perhaps got any examples or try-outs?

warrior
02/08/2015 at 15:59

The dreamteam @alexluna and @keesdeligt shredding plastic!

Attachments:

warrior
08/08/2015 at 21:48

Alex made this quick test to use the plastic shredder without electricity. Bike seemed like a good option.

Attachments:

starter
11/08/2015 at 21:24

Great News Everyone !

We are able to shred a plastic bottle with a consistent output. It was achieved with a slow but strong mechanism.
Technical Drawings are ready for a final prototype : )

Attachments:

warrior
26/08/2015 at 14:01

Added some power to the prototype. It shreds! Anyone knows a strong, easy available, low speed motor?
The current one is not strong enough..

warrior
31/08/2015 at 18:34

started building the final prototype for the shredder, all the parts are in place

Attachments:

helper
14/09/2015 at 18:52

A Raw video of today’s shredder test….

Very Promising….

warrior
17/09/2015 at 11:10

We are looking for a low speed 230V motor which turn about 40-80 Rounds Per Minute. And it should be powerfull enough to run this shredder.
Suggestions anyone?

new
20/09/2015 at 12:14

Hey Dave and others,

My friend and I are interested in making plastic recycling machines. We started to think about a shredder ’cause you’ll need small pieces to melt it into another shape. However, we are more interested in the melting itself. Maybe you guys have some advice for if we want to build a shredder? See, we also live in the Netherlands and we were wondering if you guys maybe could send us some shredded plastic so we could go on with the melting part? Also, we looked up some shredders on Marktplaats, we saw a few shredders for shredding small wooden sticks wich we could pick up for a couple of bux. Have you looked at that and do you guys think that that would plastic too?

We’d love to hear from you.

warrior
21/09/2015 at 06:59

Hi Paul

We’ve been working on the shredder for a while. As it turns out this was the most difficult machine to make. But we almost got it done! We are currently focussed on developing the machines not shredding plastic, so we won’t be able to help out just yet. I wouldn’t recommend a shredder for wood, plastic is much more difficult to shred it probably won’t work. We want to have version 2.0 of the machines ready end this year, you could wait and build a shredder yourself 🙂

new
25/09/2015 at 05:55

Hi there. I am really new to this (just started thinking about it 4 days ago). I am considering getting a 3d printer and shudder at the thought of the cost of filament.

I see all these possibilities for shredding plastic. I know the answer is probably yes, but has anyone considered using this image?
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mg2Vdq6M7ExjgqX-bGnRSBA.jpg

Router blades are fairly inexpensive, and are super sharp with hardened steel cutting edges and can come with a 1/2 in shank. They could be set up on counter rotating spindles to achieve the chewing motion. The only problem I see is that they are not of a fixed width so plastic would get caught in between them. This may be remedied using thick washers where the diameter is just short of the hardened tip.

starter
01/10/2015 at 17:24

Looks very cool Dave! Maybe for the engine you could use a golfcart engine or maybe a washing machine engine something like that.

warrior
02/10/2015 at 13:38

Hooked a powerful motor an the shredder and created a beast:

new
02/10/2015 at 13:51

Love it! How powerful is that motor?

warrior
02/10/2015 at 13:57

Hi! Interesting option. Could be worth a try!

warrior
02/10/2015 at 13:59

1.5KW with reduction!

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Shredder Version 2.0’ is closed to new replies.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪