We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Shredder Version 2.0

This topic contains 52 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Hakkens 3 years ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Shredder Version 2.0

11/06/2015 at 11:15

The original shredder we used was a modified one which we found somewhere. The outcome of this machine is great (image attached.) However we need to have a DIY version which is easy to re-build anywhere in the world..

There are different techniques to shred plastic. We’re going to prototype and find out.
Here some interesting videos we came along of shredders
shredder 1 shredder 2 shredder 3 shredder 4 shredder 5 shredder 6 shredder 7 shredder 8

Attachments:
52 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Shredder Version 2.0

warrior
02/10/2015 at 14:01

Washing machine is a good options since it;s worldwide available. But we tried, not powerful enough. Haven’t tried a Golf motor. Are they easy to find?

starter
02/10/2015 at 18:21

I don’t know but you could look on Marktplaats or ask at that plant you got the oven from. Maybe they got something for you

starter
06/10/2015 at 11:37

I can see the shredder takes little ‘bites’ from the plastic. Maybe you should look at how many force is needed to take those bites and try to make it work with like a washing machine motor or other motor that is available around the world. If these motors are not powerful enough maybe look at some gears to do the trick?

warrior
16/10/2015 at 17:36

So excited about this shredder! Spend months of developing, getting it stronger, easier to build, making the output smaller. And for some reason this was the hardest machine to make, did not expected that. I mean, chopping plastic..that sounds pretty straight forward right?. Anyway next step is making the blueprints and instruction manuals for you guys!

Attachments:

new
18/10/2015 at 14:04

Amazing result, can’t wait to try making one of this ! thank you guys

helper
04/11/2015 at 21:09

congratulations! Awesome result and project!

the pellets produced by this grinder V2 look much bigger than the ones produced with the industrial grinder.

• – what is the effect of using these larger strips of plastic in the other machines?
  • – what happens if you grind again the plastic? does it get smaller?

I’ve seen a link to this refilamenter machine by redetec somewhere else on these forums, and I think that their design can inspire some modifications for the grinder too.
They say it’s open source.
Apparently they are using counter rotating blades very similar to your design

redetec grinder

what is the approximate cost of your grinder /shredder V2?

thanks in advance

starter
18/11/2015 at 18:27

Hi everyone!

With a group of students we are now working with this shredder at the TU Delft.
The first experiences with this shredder are awesome!
We have experienced some difficulties though.

The first problem we encountered was that PLA parts, created with an ultimaker, melted in the shredder. This caused the blades to get stuck.
We solved this by heating the PLA with a paintdryer. This made it soft enough to continue shredding.

The second problem we encountered was that a bolt from the protection cap got loose. This bolt fell into the shredder and caused a blade to get stuck.
We solved this by changing some wires so that the engine turned the other way an we could get the bolt of the blade.

This caused another problem though when the bolt fell in the shredder again. It is impossible to get it out without removing the strainer. This removing of the strainer is quite hard.

So 2 days of working with the shredder and allready a lot of input for enhancements!
I would suggest the following improvements:

-Make a protection cap without any screws or bolts that may come off
-Add a button with which the shredder can turn the other way
-Make it easy to remove the strainer so that the plastic (or unwanted parts) can be removed.
-Make some sort of cooling system so that the plastics won’t melt an get stuck.

Well that was it for now, friday we will work with this and other machines again. So more input will probably follow.

Attachments:

warrior
19/11/2015 at 01:44

Thanks for the feedback and pictures @nieldefize. hehe still some fine-tuning to do there!

Make a protection cap without any screws or bolts that may come off

Usually we have a different kind of input (welded, without bolts/nuts) this one was made last minute for safety reasons for you guys in Delft. Didn’t suspect the bolts to fall out thought. Probably a nut with rubber inside prevents this.

Add a button with which the shredder can turn the other way

Definitely!

Make it easy to remove the strainer so that the plastic (or unwanted parts) can be removed.

This was already our ‘easy to remove’ version. But can always be easier! Do Let me know if you have suggestions

Make some sort of cooling system so that the plastics won’t melt an get stuck.

Not sure if cooling would be the most effective way, perhaps a simple change in the blades setup (not a spiral) prevents the plastic from moving into on area,heating up and sticking together. Will do some test.

See you on Friday!

starter
14/12/2015 at 07:07

Amazing result guys! I love it. Could the strainer be simply held tightly in place with some cross-bars on the bottom? The size of the parts as @lyricalpolymath said do look bigger, would a smaller mesh size just cause more melting problems with pieces circulating for longer in the friction-induced heat?

starter
14/12/2015 at 07:11

@davehakkens have you tried this final set-up with bicycle peddle-power yet? I want to put your V2.0 on a sailing boat crossing the pacific so they can reduce volume of plastic as they pick it up, but the won’t have enough power to run this beast of a motor!

warrior
14/12/2015 at 17:24

Not mounted on a bike yet. But we did build and test it to shred by hand, which seemed the most difficult one to achieve. But we got that one. so i’m sure bike wouldn’t be a big problem.

starter
16/12/2015 at 04:58

Maybe an input out of arms reach of the blades is in order?

new
04/02/2016 at 11:07

@davehakkens Have you considered using the motor and speed control out of an old treadmill? that should have plenty of power and speed range

warrior
04/02/2016 at 20:52

haven’t tried it, interesting option though. Not sure if they are easily available, lets find out

new
05/02/2016 at 08:12

@davehakkens Here in the US you can easily find used treadmills on craigslist that are under $100…there is always the option of ebay but they are a bit more pricey. on ebay you can buy just the motors and controller without having to purchase the whole treadmill (although this is the more expensive option).

new
04/03/2016 at 22:47

Hi, i’m from Chile, along with a friend we got inspired in your project, and we want to do something similar: we want to recycle plastic waste. We´ve done some tests, but the the greatest difficulty that we found was the way to crush the material. We looked at some crusher designs, but they are to small. When will you free the design 2.0 of the crusher, so we can use it.

Greetings from Chile

new
04/03/2016 at 22:49

@davehakkens Hi, i’m from Chile, along with a friend we got inspired in your project, and we want to do something similar: we want to recycle plastic waste. We´ve done some tests, but the the greatest difficulty that we found was the way to crush the material. We looked at some crusher designs, but they are to small. When will you free the design 2.0 of the crusher, so we can use it.
Greetings from Chile

new
04/03/2016 at 23:02

some pics 🙂

Attachments:

new
23/03/2016 at 10:38

Hi, How close are we to final drawings for the shredder? My entrepreneur in Kenya has successfully pitched for 40,000KSH to have the machine built locally!

warrior
24/03/2016 at 18:12

done: http://preciousplastic.com/

starter
31/03/2016 at 22:01

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if you could indicate the cost difference in mild steel vs. stainless blades for the grinder? Also is there much difference in water vs. laser cut parts?

I presume stainless would last longer do better etc.

Thanks for your work!

warrior
01/04/2016 at 18:33

This topic got waay to long. So i’m closing it. if you have another question, feel free to start a new topic. This makes it much easier to keep track of them.

Viewing 22 replies - 31 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Shredder Version 2.0’ is closed to new replies.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪