We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Single screw shredder vs double screw?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Halim Widya Kusuma 5 months ago.

Jeff jeff000

Single screw shredder vs double screw?

21/02/2019 at 05:40

The shredder plans on here are pretty great and obviously makes a capable shredder. But wondering why it’s single screw vs two rotating towards each other?
All the big industrial machines are double screw, which is why I’m wondering why the single.

5 replies
2 subscribers
1 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes
dedicated
06/03/2019 at 06:22

hi @jeff000
single screw?
(i’m still new in PP 😀 hopefully not misconception)
you mean single shaft?
i think the point is simply cheaper, easier to built.
if you can built double shaft shredder, well it’s very nice that you can shredd bigger plastic 🙂

regards, halim

starter
06/03/2019 at 09:20

Shaft, yes. Dual shaft rotating towards each other should need a much smaller motor though.

new
12/03/2019 at 19:10

Would implementing a second shaft also reduce the clog between the shaft blades.? We are having this problem, especially with thinner PET plastic bottles.

starter
12/03/2019 at 22:20

dual axle shredder require a few more components, gears, bearings, spacers,… not that easy to get those everywhere, for cheap and on size though.

dedicated
14/05/2019 at 09:56

@jeff000
i think it doesn’t really affect on motor that much, because the concept of transmission is the same power. single or double screw will be the same torque to crush the plastic. double shaft is designed for faster shredding because the blade will reach the cutting point easier, motor stay still.
below formula of shredding unit power (P1) & motor unit (P2)

Attachments:
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪